Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR  (Read 6012 times)

Argo

TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR
« on: July 06, 2003, 02:15:11 AM »
Was wondering since i only have a few episode of early 70s TPIR, was wondering if there was any mention on air when they officially changed the name to TPIR. I think it was sometime in 73, but dunno for sure. Was it the start of the season or mid way through?

Thanks.

uncamark

TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 02:45:34 PM »
Was wondering since i only have a few episode of early 70s TPIR, was wondering if there was any mention on air when they officially changed the name to TPIR. I think it was sometime in 73, but dunno for sure. Was it the start of the season or mid way through?

I believe it was sometime in the summer of 1973, shortly after the time slot change to 3 p.m. ET.  (Yes, they did first-run shows in the summer that first year.)  There was no fanfare when the \"New\" was dropped from the title.  They just did it.

Neumms

TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2003, 02:52:27 PM »
I also recall tuning in one day and just noticing it.

Didn't they also do a little bit of painting and wallpapering at the same time, mainly to the turntable area?

Also, when did they switch from the orange displays in contestants' row to the multicolor model, and from brown frames for the big doors to green? It wasn't at this stage was it? (I'm guessing it's when they expanded to an hour.)

joelvanderveen

TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2003, 04:30:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jul 6 2003, 01:52 PM\'] Also, when did they switch from the orange displays in contestants' row to the multicolor model, and from brown frames for the big doors to green? It wasn't at this stage was it? (I'm guessing it's when they expanded to an hour.) [/quote]
 So those frames were originally brown? Yikes... I always thought it was dull green and just looked worse on the poor-quality videotape. I must say, they have come a long way since 1972 (though that goes without saying).

sshuffield70

TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2003, 04:56:44 PM »
I remember when I was watching the Dennis James version on weekends, that he had the brown boards with the flowers.  I suspect that with the change in '75 that's when we saw the multi color boards.  BTW, I didn't get to see daytime TPIR until '76.

Argo

TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 09:57:41 PM »
well just for \"joelvanderveen\" and others, i dont know exactly when the color change of the whole set was done, but they were in the process in mid 75 (the classic TPIR episode from 2002), shows the borders around the turntable are green, but the rest of the turntable is still brown and orange. It looked a little wacky. Id say they changed the whole set just before the hour long or for it.

Another question is, when did they change the music. People say that the opening music was changed in 1976, others say in 1975. They were still using the old one on the first hour long episode, and also the \"Patricia Bernard\" episode (dunno if it was hour long or 30min, im saying hourlong though, had the red and green set, and the old music\".

So i guess everything was changed about late75-mid76

Card Shark

TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 12:16:48 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 6 2003, 01:45 PM\'] I believe it was sometime in the summer of 1973, shortly after the time slot change to 3 p.m. ET.  (Yes, they did first-run shows in the summer that first year.) [/quote]
 So, when exactly did they start having reruns during the summers? Why did they need to do this? Was it because Bob was beginning to age?
Adam Strom

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 08:01:23 AM »
Several books make it a point to mention that reruns aired in summers 1981 and 1983, so it would stand to reason those were the first two. So it was probably just a matter of keeping the staff from burning out by doing 260 hours/year.
@lambertman

cmjb13

TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2003, 08:10:29 AM »
Was it because Bob was beginning to age?

I can't say for reruns, but he did keep up the same M-W 2 day tape schedule up until around 1998.

I wish they would go back to that schedule.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

ChuckNet

TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2003, 11:37:03 AM »
Another question is, when did they change the music. People say that the opening music was changed in 1976, others say in 1975. They were still using the old one on the first hour long episode, and also the \"Patricia Bernard\" episode (dunno if it was hour long or 30min, im saying hourlong though, had the red and green set, and the old music\".

I have the 75-76 syndie season finale on tape, and they were using the current music (albeit in a slightly different arrangement for the opening), so I'm saying around mid-76.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

uncamark

TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2003, 12:42:37 PM »
Several books make it a point to mention that reruns aired in summers 1981 and 1983, so it would stand to reason those were the first two. So it was probably just a matter of keeping the staff from burning out by doing 260 hours/year.

Seems to me that it happened a lot earlier than that--I recall seeing summer reruns sometime in the 70s.  It's entirely possible since \"LMAD\" (the other big audience participation show) seemed to be on a four-day week of new episodes through most of the ABC run and had several weeks of reruns during the summer (which ABC highlighted by having Jay Stewart record a \"this program was a repeat telecast\" voice-over added to the end of the show).  That's on top of the two or three weeks a year that guest hosts filled in for Monty.

I can't name you the exact year, but it seems that sometime after the first year, G-T decided to take the summer off on \"TPIR\"--and I'm sure that this was standard procedure by the time the show went to an hour.

And as for guest hosts--considering that the only time in the syndie run of \"T or C\" that there was a guest host was when they had a firm booking for remotes from Seattle (the only remotes they did in the syndie run) that couldn't be cancelled--and the guest host was none other than Ralph Edwards, the creator and original host--I sense that Barker's ego pretty much forbade that, outside of Dennis James' one stint on the daytime show.

tommycharles

TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2003, 12:55:31 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jul 8 2003, 07:10 AM\']
I can't say for reruns, but he did keep up the same M-W 2 day tape schedule up until around 1998.

I wish they would go back to that schedule. [/quote]
 Just out of curiosity, why does it matter what their taping schedule is?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2003, 01:18:39 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Jul 8 2003, 09:55 AM\'] Just out of curiosity, why does it matter what their taping schedule is? [/quote]
 Maybe it makes it easier for him to attend tapings.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Clay Zambo

TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2003, 09:55:09 PM »
I remember it well.  I'd bought the \"New Price Is Right\" box game on Saturday night, and there, on Monday's show, the name was different.  I was crushed!

(I have this vague recollection that it was on that first \"The Price Is Right\" episode that Lucky Seven was premiered.  Anybody know for sure?)

-C
czambo@mac.com

Steve Gavazzi

TNPIR'72 Changes to TPIR
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2003, 12:22:02 AM »
Let's see here...

- The most common answer to \"when did TNPiR become TPiR\" seems to be around June of 1973.

- The opening music changed in either January or February of 1976.

- The gigantic color scheme makeover occurred in mid-to-late summer of 1975.

- The current taping schedule puts out five shows a week, as opposed to six with the old one.  TPiR's seasons in recent years have been about 20 episodes shorter than they used to be.  I'm guessing that these two facts are somehow connected.

- As far as I know, Lucky $even didn't debut until Season 2.