Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lifetime Laverne & Shirley...  (Read 2148 times)

brianhenke

Lifetime Laverne & Shirley...
« on: April 21, 2004, 12:54:58 AM »
Lifetime aired yesterday a Laverne & Shirley episode (it's on Lifetime now, BTW) where the girls went on a game show called Silly for Dollars.

Has anyone else seen this episode?

Brian

Iowa is the North Star State?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

JMFabiano

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 01:46:50 AM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 11:54 PM\'] Lifetime aired yesterday a Laverne & Shirley episode (it's on Lifetime now, BTW) [/quote]
 Oh, when did that start?  Thought that was a bit away from coming.   Also shuddering at what they must have done to the end credits...sorry but I can't imagine L&S with generic credits.  Especially when we get to another GS related episode, which ends with Lenny and Squiggy dancing on the Dating Game set behind the said credits.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 07:52:30 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Apr 21 2004, 01:46 AM\'] Oh, when did that start?  Thought that was a bit away from coming. [/quote]
 It started on March 8, I believe.....

I didn't get a chance to watch any yet, but I believe it now airs at noon and 12:30 p.m. weekdays. On March 8, it aired at 11:00 a.m. and noon - the 11:00 a.m. airing being kind of "retro" to me, considering it was part of the ABC daytime lineup I remember (L&S at 11, FF at 11:30, and $20K Pyramid at noon).

GS Warehouse

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 10:42:21 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Apr 21 2004, 01:46 AM\'] [quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 11:54 PM\'] Lifetime aired yesterday a Laverne & Shirley episode (it's on Lifetime now, BTW) [/quote]
Oh, when did that start?  Thought that was a bit away from coming.   Also shuddering at what they must have done to the end credits...sorry but I can't imagine L&S with generic credits.  Especially when we get to another GS related episode, which ends with Lenny and Squiggy dancing on the Dating Game set behind the said credits. [/quote]
Then this should be a must-click link: TV Shows on DVD.  You'll have to register to do this (but it's free!), but you can voice your opinion on future DVD releases.  I won't get my hopes up on L&S parent series Happy Days due to music clearance issues.  While both seasons of The Monkees are now available, Rhino owns both the series and the Monkees' catalog.  OTOH, Sony is expected to release season 1 of The Partridge Family (aka the Jeremy Gelbwaks season) in November even though BMG owns the PF catalog, AFAIK.

ObGameShows: Celebrity Mole: Hawaii is already available on DVD, and the original Survivor series (retitled Survivor: Borneo) is due out next month.

ObLenny&SquiggyOnTheDatingGame: I taped that episode from Nick-at-Nite in 1998, so the credit sequence is intact.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 10:44:28 AM by GS Warehouse »

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 10:49:07 AM »
IIRC - Happy Days, L&S, and Mork & Mindy are all coming out on DVD this summer...

GS Warehouse

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 11:08:47 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Apr 21 2004, 10:49 AM\'] IIRC - Happy Days, L&S, and Mork & Mindy are all coming out on DVD this summer... [/quote]
 I haven't seen anything on those three on TVShowsOnDVD yet, but I'm hoping.

ObGS: I did find out that the fifth and final season of The Dick Van Dyke Show, featuring the legendary episode "Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth"--which features Laura on a game show--comes out on June 29.

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 11:47:42 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 21 2004, 11:08 AM\'] [quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Apr 21 2004, 10:49 AM\'] IIRC - Happy Days, L&S, and Mork & Mindy are all coming out on DVD this summer... [/quote]
I haven't seen anything on those three on TVShowsOnDVD yet, but I'm hoping.

ObGS: I did find out that the fifth and final season of The Dick Van Dyke Show, featuring the legendary episode "Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth"--which features Laura on a game show--comes out on June 29. [/quote]
 Veering off topic just a bit, but something I've wondered...

How can there be "generic" episodes of Dick Van Dyke on DVD when there's already entire seasons out (in much more attractive packaging)..The generic ones are under the names "TV Classics" or something like that..

rugrats1

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 12:22:52 PM »
How can there be "generic" episodes of Dick Van Dyke on DVD when there's already entire seasons out (in much more attractive packaging)..The generic ones are under the names "TV Classics" or something like that..

That's because those "generic" episodes are actually in the public domain -- apparently, the copyright holders forgot or refused to renew the copyright, meaning that anyone can have these episodes on DVD. Of course, the music is still copyrighted, so some of them replaced the theme with a different piece of music.

sshuffield70

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 02:55:39 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Apr 21 2004, 11:22 AM\']

That's because those "generic" episodes are actually in the public domain -- apparently, the copyright holders forgot or refused to renew the copyright, meaning that anyone can have these episodes on DVD. Of course, the music is still copyrighted, so some of them replaced the theme with a different piece of music. [/quote]
 Given it's a 60s show, I don't understand how that could happen.  Could some of these episodes been taped off TV and repackaged by a hack?

rugrats1

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 06:26:40 PM »
Could some of these episodes been taped off TV and repackaged by a hack?

Not likely, especially since these DVDs are sold at chain stores like Best Buy and FYE, in some cases, alongside the official sets. And many of these companies aren't "Fly By Night" companies either -- one of the people that sell these DVDs is Madacy, a Canadian firm that has been selling cheap music and movies since the 1980s (at least).

I suppose most of these companies get the shows from either old kinnies or old syndicated 16mm prints.

sshuffield70

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 09:53:05 PM »
Until recently, I worked for a drug store that carried DVDs from a Canadian outfit called Front Row Entertainment.  Do you think they work like Madacy?