Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TJW  (Read 8607 times)

whewfan

TJW
« on: July 05, 2003, 05:40:37 PM »
As you may recall, I had asked advice on how to build a TJW slot machine.

Now I have another idea. A new format....

Hear me out! Before you think I'm going TJW 90, trust me, I'm not. I wanted to keep all the elements of the original TJW, and do some tweaking to make the game a little longer, and add some new wrinkles to the bonus game.

The new TJW format is in two rounds...

ROUND ONE- Classic TJW

Played exactly the same, with a few exceptions. Round one is played until one player scores $500.
That player has the advantage in round 2.  Also, three jokers WILL NOT win the game, but they act as a regular triple.

ROUND TWO- The Fast Forward Round

Remember the Fast Forward category? Well, In this round, ALL questions play just like the Fast Forward category. The player in the lead spins first. This time, 3 jokers CAN mean an automatic win.  The player can answer as many questions as he wants, but goes back to his previous score if he misses a question. The first player to score $1500 wins the game. Just as with classic TJW, if one player scores $1500, the other has one last chance to catch up,  and missing one question will lose the game. Exception: If a player should score $1500 or more by stealing and answering a missed question, it's a win for that player.

BONUS ROUND- Face The Devil

What would TJW be without the Devil? (Besides TJW 90).  Just as on the original TJW, there are dollar amounts and one devil. However, as an added twist, there are also JOKERS on the machine. Spinning one joker means the player must answer one question in order to spin again,  worth $50. Spinning two jokers means TWO questions must be answered, at $100 apiece. Three jokers, however, means a possible automatic win, but THREE questions must be answered. Missing a question ends the game, but the player keeps whatever they accumulated at that point.

What do you think?

Jimmy Owen

TJW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2003, 06:40:01 PM »
Where are the definitions? :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TJW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2003, 07:03:04 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jul 5 2003, 02:40 PM\'] ROUND ONE- Classic TJW

Played exactly the same, with a few exceptions. Round one is played until one player scores $500.
That player has the advantage in round 2.

[/quote]
 Is this a two-player game? If so, having a score of $500 do nothing more than end the round is really stupid. And in ANY case, does any player deserving of a final spin get one? If not, why not? Hardly fair.

Just as with classic TJW, if one player scores $1500, the other has one last chance to catch up,  and missing one question will lose the game.

Will only the player who didn't have the \"advantage\" have this opportunity? If so, is having the \"advantage\" really an \"advantage\"? You could allow the player who \"won\" Round One to have the choice of spinning first or getting Last Licks, but that further reduces the meaning of an already meaningless first round.

And once we get past that, we run into the BIG problem with Fast Forward: when you ARE in a situation when someone is getting Last Licks, it's often anticlimactic. Ending a game on an incorrect answer makes for bad TV, in my opinion.

Exception:

Problem.

Just as on the original TJW, there are dollar amounts and one devil.

So you can still lose through no fault of your own. Nope.

Spinning two jokers means TWO questions must be answered, at $100 apiece. Three jokers, however, means a possible automatic win, but THREE questions must be answered. Missing a question ends the game, but the player keeps whatever they accumulated at that point.

Way too freakin' complicated for the average viewer.

What do you think?

See the post icon.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

TJW
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2003, 09:43:36 PM »
Where are the definitions?
You're *really* not helping...
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TheInquisitiveOne

TJW
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 11:00:52 PM »
While I laud the fact that somebody here is trying to \"renovate an old house,\" think about why Card Sharks 2001 did a kamikaze two months in.

The format was way too complicated and totally deviated from the format that made many -- including myself -- fans of both the Perry and Eubanks versions.

My point is, the proposal for a new format of \"The Joker's Wild\" is way too convoluted and complicated for the masses to read. I feel that the format should stay the same as the 1977-1986 syndie version, except for a few tweaks.

For example, there can be a \"Natural Triple\" bonus of $500 (doubled to $1,000 if there are 3 Jokers). I am also pro straddling. However, if that is frowned upon, let it be a fast-paced, best-of-three format. The first to $500 wins. Simple as that.

In the \"Face the Devil\" round, a contestant could spin until he or she reaches the $1,000 mark. The prize package can be anything from a nice (but not too lavish) car to a vacation package... you know, something valued at least at $10,000.

The tweak to this can be considered a blatant knock-off of Russian Roulette (minus the drops, of course). The contestant can take one final spin of the slots if he/she likes. If no devils show up, the contestant wins an additional $10,000 in cash. If the devil does show up, the contestant loses the prize package, but can keep the $1,000 for consolation.

Now, I may get laughed out of the board for this, but all I am doing is making a few additions to a show whose format really needs no changing. Have at it people!

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

whewfan

TJW
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2003, 11:04:10 PM »
Ok, I gave it some thought. You made some good points. Here's my revised idea...

ROUND ONE AND TWO- Classic TJW

TJW as we all know and love.  The winner of this round (Still $500) moves on to round 3. Two new players are introduced for round 2, and it's still the same game. Winner moves on to round 3

ROUND 3- Fast Forward Round

Winners of round one and two play the same TJW, and both start with zero (they still keep their winnings from the previous round)  but all questions are fast forward. Just as with the original fast forward category, the player can answer as many questions as he wants, but goes back to his original score if he's wrong.   $1500 wins the game. If either player scores $1500, the trailing player gets one last chance to catch up. Exception: If the player scores $1500 by answering a question their opponent couldn't, the player with $1500 wins.

The bonus round

I'm still working on that.

jalman

TJW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2003, 11:05:03 PM »
(Re: your initial proposal)

I admire your effort to spruce up the \"classic\" format, but...

About Rounds One and Two:

I feel that you're ripping out the heart of the game.  Round two is far too similar to the '90s version.  Round one is non-essential.  I'd prefer sticking with either round being the only maingame, but not both.

Beat the Devil:

Too confusing.  Why go back to answering questions?  Is your new JW supposed to be some hard quizzer?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2003, 11:06:20 PM by jalman »

Fedya

TJW
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2003, 11:35:56 PM »
Jalman wrote:
Beat the Devil:

Too confusing. Why go back to answering questions? Is your new JW supposed to be some hard quizzer?

Well, it can't be any easier a quizzer than the original!

--Ted Schuerzinger
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

TonicBH

TJW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2003, 11:46:57 PM »
My way of doing it:

3 players. Round 1 is classic TJW, with $50/$100/$200 and $500 for 3 Jokers. (if this may take too long, you can double the amounts.) Player with least amount of money is eliminated.

Round 2 is doubled amounts, first to $2,500 to win, and five new categories.

Bonus Round: TJW90's bonus could work, except replace the definitions with quick questions. Joker Joker Joker in any one spin gives the player a jackpot that begins at $10,000 and increases $500 'til won.

Player can stay on until they either win five games or over $100,000.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

Neumms

TJW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2003, 01:18:43 AM »
The maingame on \"The Joker's Wild\" seems fine the way it was, with the occasional Mystery or Fast Forward for variety. I always thought it was the bonus round that held it back. The player didn't have any decisions to make except to stop and take the money, which at those stakes isn't exactly pulse pounding.

So here's a new bonus round, which at least introduces an element of risk to the whole thing. It even keeps the devil around. It may be too expensive, but what the heck.

On the wheels are:
--Jokers
--Slides that says \"car\" (perhaps that looks like the \"bar\" on a slot machine)
--$500 slides
--$1000
--$3000 (for color, the dollar amounts could be accompanied by slot machine fruits--cherry, plum, lemon)
--A devil

It takes 3 cars to win a car (a natural triple or with jokers). 3 jokers wins a progressive jackpot that starts at, say, $25,000 and goes up $1000 every spin. Devil comes up, game over.

Otherwise, we pay off the top dollar value on the board, double it if it's a pair, triple it for three of a kind. For example, 500-1000-joker pays $2000--the 1000 doubled for a pair.

The risk comes in as follows: the player can take the earnings from that spin and quit, or they can give the money back and spin again. They don't know if there's a better spin down the road, or if the devil will pop up. They can spin up to, say, five times--if they spin a fifth time, they have to take what they get on that spin.

So how's that sound?

clemon79

TJW
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2003, 01:35:37 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jul 5 2003, 08:04 PM\'] TJW as we all know and love.  The winner of this round (Still $500) moves on to round 3. Two new players are introduced for round 2, and it's still the same game. Winner moves on to round 3 [/quote]
 \"It's the slot machine game you've played all your life, but never quite like this!\"

(Not that that's a bad thing, it worked fine for Scrabble.)

Is this gonna be an hour show, anyhow? 'Cuz it ain't fitting in 30 minutes, no way no how.

ROUND 3- Fast Forward Round

Is still just as broken as it was before.

The bonus round
I'm still working on that.

So far, all you've done is change back a broken format to an original format, and left the rest of the broken format broken. This isn't even close to excretable, much less viable.

clemon79

TJW
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2003, 01:42:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jul 5 2003, 10:18 PM\'] So here's a new bonus round, which at least introduces an element of risk to the whole thing. It even keeps the devil around. It may be too expensive, but what the heck.
 [/quote]
 The knock on the original bonus round (which I've never had a problem with, BTW) wasn't that there wasn't enough risk, it's that there was NO SKILL. Yours doesn't take any more skill, it's just luck in a different form.

I don't see where yours improves on the current format, aside from giving away a boatload more money, and everyone and his brother ought to know where I stand on that issue by now.

dmota104

TJW
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2003, 12:32:06 PM »
My two cents on a TJW revival (FWIW I've thrown around this idea at the old place...BTW, I still like the idea this forum still has that \"new board smell\")...

Play the main game just like the original syndicated series except that...

\the champion goes first

\the values are double those of the original (I'm thinking $100 for a single, $200 for a pair, $400 for a triple, $1000 for three jokers; first to $1000 wins).

\if you answered a question correctly, the value of the spin is added to your score *AND* you get to spin again (this as opposed to alternating turns)

I always felt it was unfair when the first player would spin \"a three-way split\", using Cullen's terminology, and then, regardless of the result, the second player would spin a potential game-winning three jokers.

Neumms

TJW
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2003, 02:47:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 6 2003, 12:42 AM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jul 5 2003, 10:18 PM\'] So here's a new bonus round, which at least introduces an element of risk to the whole thing. It even keeps the devil around. It may be too expensive, but what the heck.
 [/quote]
The knock on the original bonus round (which I've never had a problem with, BTW) wasn't that there wasn't enough risk, it's that there was NO SKILL. Yours doesn't take any more skill, it's just luck in a different form.

I don't see where yours improves on the current format, aside from giving away a boatload more money, and everyone and his brother ought to know where I stand on that issue by now.[/quote]
It's hard to rip on a game for not involving skill when it's based on slot machines. My trouble with the original endgame was that it was pathologically dull. \"High Rollers\" is luck, too, but there are decisions to be made and the game built to a climax. \"Split Second\" was all luck, but it was quick and had some drama to it. On TPIR, more and more pricing games involve a risk--first came Temptation and the Punchboard, more recently Spelling Bee, Let 'em Roll, and It's in the Bag.

The goal of my idea is to add more temptation to quit, thus giving the player something to think about. Otherwise it's like watching a total stranger scratch off a lottery ticket. And while my idea may require bigger prizes, I think a luck-based game needs reasonably high stakes to be interesting (as opposed to a skill game with play-along value, such as \"Lingo\" or \"Password\").

ilb4ever2000

TJW
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2003, 02:55:45 PM »
My trouble with the original endgame was that it was pathologically dull.

Technically, isn't the original endgame the one with the prizes and circled prizes (Coffee! Another case of coffee! Color TV!)?