Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Squares finale question  (Read 2130 times)

Adam Nedeff

Hollywood Squares finale question
« on: April 16, 2004, 11:06:02 PM »
I'm moving all of my game show videos to DVD and this week has been "Hollywood Squares Conversion Week" and right now, I've got the 1980 NBC finale in the machine. They just introduced a woman to begin the next match, and Peter brings her on and says "When you left us you had $1,400 so we're going to give you $200 for a total of $1,600 and if you win this match you'll win $25,000."

Huh?

What were they doing for the final episode/week/month/whatever that would lead Peter to say that? Obviously she was on a previous show but Peter made no effort to explain what he meant, so it seems like the home audience should have been familiar with this.

tommycharles

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 11:30:32 PM »
The reason he said that, if she had $1600, would be because her next match would be for the five time championship, wouldn't it? That would give her the $2000 necessary for the $25k prize package.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 12:55:01 AM »
What were they doing for the final episode/week/month/whatever that would lead Peter to say that?

Just in case the previous reply wasn't clear enough, they obviously just wanted to go out on a bang and brought back a former player for a chance at the five-time winner's package. It's too bad nobody got it.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 07:55:01 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 11:55 PM\']
What were they doing for the final episode/week/month/whatever that would lead Peter to say that?

Just in case the previous reply wasn't clear enough, they obviously just wanted to go out on a bang and brought back a former player for a chance at the five-time winner's package. It's too bad nobody got it.

-Jason [/quote]
 You can never have enough Morse disco jukeboxes or Chevy Chevettes or Datsun 310s, you know....

ChuckNet

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 11:58:05 PM »

Although the $5K she won in the bonus round kinda made up for it.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 02:54:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 08:06 PM\']They just introduced a woman to begin the next match, and Peter brings her on and says "When you left us you had $1,400 so we're going to give you $200 for a total of $1,600 and if you win this match you'll win $25,000."

Huh?

What were they doing for the final episode/week/month/whatever that would lead Peter to say that? Obviously she was on a previous show but Peter made no effort to explain what he meant, so it seems like the home audience should have been familiar with this.[/quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you all will...)

Whenever a Marshall daytime Squares contestant was brought back because the producers felt he or she had been disadvantaged, the contestant was awarded an extra $200 in cash.

In Adam's example, the $200 was added to the returnee's score, so that she would have a multiple of $400 on her scoreboard.  (If they had left her at $1400, and she won the first game, Peter would have had to explain why she had $1600 on her scoreboard (which usually indicated that a player had won their fourth match,) but hadn't unseated the current champ as yet.)

Conversely, if the returnee had won a multiple of $400 in score cash (or none at all,) Peter would explain to the returnee that he or she was being awarded the extra $200, although it wouldn't show on the scoreboard, so that everybody knew that the returnee still needed to win $400 more to oust the champ.

Esoteric Eric; ...or is this just another case of my Compulsive Bluffing disorder?
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 11:41:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Apr 18 2004, 01:54 AM\'][quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 08:06 PM\']They just introduced a woman to begin the next match, and Peter brings her on and says "When you left us you had $1,400 so we're going to give you $200 for a total of $1,600 and if you win this match you'll win $25,000."

Huh?

What were they doing for the final episode/week/month/whatever that would lead Peter to say that? Obviously she was on a previous show but Peter made no effort to explain what he meant, so it seems like the home audience should have been familiar with this.[/quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you all will...)

Whenever a Marshall daytime Squares contestant was brought back because the producers felt he or she had been disadvantaged, the contestant was awarded an extra $200 in cash.

In Adam's example, the $200 was added to the returnee's score, so that she would have a multiple of $400 on her scoreboard.  (If they had left her at $1400, and she won the first game, Peter would have had to explain why she had $1600 on her scoreboard (which usually indicated that a player had won their fourth match,) but hadn't unseated the current champ as yet.)

Conversely, if the returnee had won a multiple of $400 in score cash (or none at all,) Peter would explain to the returnee that he or she was being awarded the extra $200, although it wouldn't show on the scoreboard, so that everybody knew that the returnee still needed to win $400 more to oust the champ.

Esoteric Eric; ...or is this just another case of my Compulsive Bluffing disorder?[/quote]
That would be correct--and that's why you had the "WON ONE GAME" lights on the contestants' desks.  They weren't originally on the desks and were added to obviously make instances like this less confusing for the viewers.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 03:32:05 PM »
That would be correct--and that's why you had the "WON ONE GAME" lights on the contestants' desks. They weren't originally on the desks and were added to obviously make instances like this less confusing for the viewers.

I thought it was kinda funny on the nighttime show the off/on use of it - sometimes they'd stay off, other times it'd stay illuminated all show once player in question won a game, etc.

I did like on the second set that they added indicators. Two of each player's symbol surrounding the score display, lit up for each game in the match they won.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 05:40:12 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 11:55 PM\']

-Jason [/quote]
 She **might** have had a shot if Wayland and Madame hadn't gone off on their (funny) diatribe about Fred Silverman.  Yes, it was funny; yes, Mother McKenzie was in hysterics, but it did kind of screw her chances of getting the whole she-bang.  Chuck is right in that the 5 large did kind of make up for it.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)