Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DIck Clark news  (Read 3649 times)

zachhoran

DIck Clark news
« on: April 14, 2004, 11:23:47 PM »
As per a 30 second blurb on tonight's WCAU CHannel 10 Philly 11PM newscast, Dick has been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. He was diagnosed 10 years ago, but the public did not know until this week.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
DIck Clark news
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 11:41:17 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 08:23 PM\'] As per a 30 second blurb on tonight's WCAU CHannel 10 Philly 11PM newscast, Dick has been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. He was diagnosed 10 years ago, but the public did not know until this week. [/quote]
 Because of course, Dick Clark is obligated as a public figure to call a press conference and tell the world of the results every time he goes to a doctor.

You gotta be friggin' kidding me. This is SO not newsworthy. Not to discount diabetes and the importance of being checked (which it appears he was...TEN YEARS AGO), but Type II's don't even have to have insulin injections most of the time, it's usually controlled through diet and exercise.

This is up there with reporting that someone has high blood pressure and therefore is now on a low-salt diet. Or has discovered they are lactose-intolerant.

Go outside, Zach. I'm begging you. It's a beautiful world out here.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

DIck Clark news
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 12:08:55 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 07:41 PM\'] This is up there with reporting that someone has high blood pressure and therefore is now on a low-salt diet. Or has discovered they are lactose-intolerant. [/quote]
How come in countries where people are starving (like Ethiopia or that place Sally Struthers hangs out) you never hear about anyone being lactose intolerant? We all have too much time on our hands!

I heard years ago that Dick is also afflicted with Parkinsons. He's had a head shake thang for several years that I understand he controls with medication. No, it's none of our business, and no, I don't know for sure. The closest I've ever come to performing any kind of examination of Dick was standing at the next urinal!

Morale of the story: You only get a bunch of medical conditions if you're lucky... lucky to live long enough.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 12:10:01 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

DrBear

DIck Clark news
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 12:30:40 AM »
I'd just like to announce that I also have Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.

DrBear...(salute) so long.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

DIck Clark news
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 12:32:41 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 09:08 PM\'] The closest I've ever come to performing any kind of examination of Dick was standing at the next urinal!
 [/quote]
I'm dyin' here :)

And I'm never peein' next to Randy. You just examine your OWN Dick from now on, got it?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 12:33:06 AM by clemon79 »

Clay Zambo

DIck Clark news
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 01:22:20 AM »
The NY Daily News carried this story as well, which a teaser headline about the "mystery illness" plaguing--I'm not kidding--"TV's Dorian Grey, Dick Clark."
czambo@mac.com

tyshaun1

DIck Clark news
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 01:26:37 AM »
Wow. Just wow.

(Cut to end-of-year Invision Board Awards)
Tyshaun Miles:............and the winner of post of the year:
Randy West for
The closest I've ever come to performing any kind of examination of Dick was standing at the next urinal!

Runner-Up: Chris Lemon for
I don't know. I've never felt Chuck Henry.
posting in "Final Episode Mentions", Feb. 2, 2004

Just give it to them now. ;)

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 01:43:10 AM by tyshaun1 »

zachhoran

DIck Clark news
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 07:39:29 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 10:41 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 08:23 PM\'] As per a 30 second blurb on tonight's WCAU CHannel 10 Philly 11PM newscast, Dick has been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. He was diagnosed 10 years ago, but the public did not know until this week. [/quote]

You gotta be friggin' kidding me. This is SO not newsworthy. [/quote]
 It was newsworthy to WCAU, whose news department will cut into several hours of programming to tell us it's snowing on the day of a winter storm.

clemon79

DIck Clark news
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 11:26:50 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 04:39 AM\'] It was newsworthy to WCAU, whose news department will cut into several hours of programming to tell us it's snowing on the day of a winter storm. [/quote]
 Your personal vendetta against a station that might have interrupted a game show tape or two on you in the past aside, TV stations run that story about that silly waterskiing squirrel, too. Doesn't mean they think it's newsworthy. It's a fluff piece. So's this.

AH3RD

DIck Clark news
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 11:37:54 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 10:41 PM\'] [This is up there with reporting that someone has high blood pressure and therefore is now on a low-salt diet. Or has discovered they are lactose-intolerant.

Go outside, Zach. I'm begging you. It's a beautiful world out here. [/quote]
 Well, I, personally, was surprised to hear of such a thing. He seemed to be in fine fettle last Rockin' New Year's Eve.

(I swear, some people have about as much sensitivity as a Sherman Tank...)
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

clemon79

DIck Clark news
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 11:41:52 AM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 08:37 AM\'] Well, I, personally, was surprised to hear of such a thing. He seemed to be in fine fettle last Rockin' New Year's Eve.
 [/quote]
 Which is my POINT. If you take care of it as prescribed by your doctor, and keep an eye on your blood sugar and such, it's NO BIG DEAL.

If Dick had a scorching case of herpes, you wouldn't notice THAT on NYE either. But now I'm setting Randy up for another Dick joke. :)

uncamark

DIck Clark news
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 12:16:03 PM »
The only reason this story is "news" is because he's been hired by Merck and the American Association of Diabetes Educators as a spokesman.  Here's the AP story--read it for yourself.

rugrats1

DIck Clark news
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 12:27:59 PM »
The story is commonplace and no big deal -- unless someone pays you to spread the word about it. No doubt Merck will be using the opportunity to push medications for diabetics.

Also, my local paper, the St. Petersburg Times, also carried the story -- with a small headline on the entertainment page.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
DIck Clark news
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 02:04:33 PM »
Doesn't anyone here have income taxes to file or some other legitimate pastime?

sshuffield70

DIck Clark news
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 02:06:30 PM »
Nah, I did mine over the weekend..........and sent a crapload of money.