Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: USA's Afternoon Game Block  (Read 17444 times)

Jamey Greek

USA's Afternoon Game Block
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2004, 08:44:08 AM »
I read on Chuck Donegan's website that before Quicksilver aired on USA and Stone-Stanley, it was pitched to Merv Griffin and CBS.  Anyone confirm that?

Jamey Greek

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2004, 10:08:42 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 10:17 PM\'] [quote name=\'bulldog_06\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 10:13 PM\'] Is it true that 1986 version of Chain Reaction was a "USA original" and not a syndicated game show? [/quote]
Yes it was a USA original, as was Jackpot, Bumper Stumpers, and Love Me Love Me Not, all those shows were taped in Canada and aired in the US via the USA network. [/quote]
 Also, Don't forget Zach, USA also aired reruns of Cullen Chain Reaction in 1985.  before the revival took off.  Pretty similar to GSN with Whammy!

Jamey Greek

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2004, 10:39:48 AM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 03:15 AM\'] Remember it? I used to remember skipping school days just to watch the block! :P

Even taped some (like many)... ironically they were just random tapings, and I ended up getting some surprising eps, including Scrabble's first ep back to the "classic" format (ditching the spelling format), Maxine Parks' PYL blunder ("I came to see you and the Price is- Press Your Luck!"), and probably others.

Too bad I didn't tape more back then, I'd probably have more classics (like Talkabout... I remember when USA reran them and I was peeved 'cause they replaced HS86 reruns... eventually they returned.)

I do think most certainly that the two USA GS originals that premiered in 1995 (Quicksilver and Free4All) killed the block. by then the "USA Live" thing came in 1996 and had reruns of the People's Court, Love Connection and their new original: "The Big Date". (That was, what, Mark L. Walberg's third GS?)

Enough rambling for this post. (Methinks it's one of my longest to this forum.) [/quote]
 I didn't tape much then either B.J.  In fact, I wish I taped both USA and FAM Game Shows, when my mom was married to my crazy stepdad Tim (They married in 1992 and seperated in 1994 and divorced)   He taped his soap opera over them! I remember watching Scrabble, and suddenly Guiding Light came on!   I swear, we should have gotten seperate Blank Tapes then, one for my game shows, and the other for his soap operas!

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2004, 12:18:43 PM »
i started taping game shows at the age of 12; i taped stuff like PYL, TJW90, TTD90.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 12:21:16 PM by JacksonBrowne1980 »
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

ChuckNet

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2004, 08:04:47 PM »
I read on Chuck Donegan's website that before Quicksilver aired on USA and Stone-Stanley, it was pitched to Merv Griffin and CBS. Anyone confirm that?

It was told to me by Quicksilver host Ron Maestri himself, so that's pretty close to an official confirmation. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

bradhig

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2004, 11:15:01 PM »
I recalll Wink's version of Tic Tac Dough on the block for a couple of years. I think USA's gameshow block was the inspiration for Family Channel's gameshow block which ended after Ray Comb died.

familyfeudfan

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2004, 11:30:40 PM »
[quote name=\'JacksonBrowne1980\' date=\'Apr 21 2004, 11:18 AM\'] i started taping game shows at the age of 12; i taped stuff like PYL, TJW90, TTD90. [/quote]
 I've just started to transfer my tapes to dvd. I've got 10 done but it's going to take a wile to do all 1,204.

rugrats1

« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2004, 11:39:06 PM »
I think USA's gameshow block was the inspiration for Family Channel's gameshow block which ended after Ray Comb died.

While that was possibly true (the earlier CBN game show block might've played a role as well), I think Pat Robertson had loftier dreams -- to use The Family Channel's block as a springboard for a dedicated game show channel of his own. But, his dreams were discarded when Sony's "Game Show Network" signed on in 1994, which featured practically the same mix of old game shows and interactive features that Family's block had.

adamjk

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2004, 11:41:45 PM »
GEESE! I have over 100. I'm trying to get them organized. What I want to do eventually, is get episodes of each series on separate tapes. Like tapes for Dawson Feud, tapes for Dawson syndie and so on. My grandma did the same thing with Price is Right in the early 90's, I have some episodes in full from 1994(go me! lol), but I also have some that are partial, and then my grandma had guiding light taped over the rest! Thank goodness, I tape everything on my own now.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 11:42:10 PM by adamjk »