Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: USA's Afternoon Game Block  (Read 17423 times)

GS Warehouse

USA's Afternoon Game Block
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2004, 11:17:33 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 05:15 PM\'] I was a big USA game show fanatic. [/quote]
 So was I.  I used to watch the game show block and Cartoon Express all the time.  Nowadays, the only USA show that even remotely resembles a good show is Monk.

With apologies to Eddie Money, I wanna go back...

TonicBH

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2004, 04:15:52 AM »
Remember it? I used to remember skipping school days just to watch the block! :P

Even taped some (like many)... ironically they were just random tapings, and I ended up getting some surprising eps, including Scrabble's first ep back to the "classic" format (ditching the spelling format), Maxine Parks' PYL blunder ("I came to see you and the Price is- Press Your Luck!"), and probably others.

Too bad I didn't tape more back then, I'd probably have more classics (like Talkabout... I remember when USA reran them and I was peeved 'cause they replaced HS86 reruns... eventually they returned.)

I do think most certainly that the two USA GS originals that premiered in 1995 (Quicksilver and Free4All) killed the block. by then the "USA Live" thing came in 1996 and had reruns of the People's Court, Love Connection and their new original: "The Big Date". (That was, what, Mark L. Walberg's third GS?)

Enough rambling for this post. (Methinks it's one of my longest to this forum.)
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

zachhoran

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2004, 07:51:52 AM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 03:15 AM\'] (like Talkabout... I remember when USA reran them and I was peeved 'cause they replaced HS86 reruns... eventually they returned.)
 [/quote]
 Squares didn't return to USA after Talkabout replaced it. When Talkabout left USA's air, it was replaced with the last half hour of a USA movie IIRC.

tvrandywest

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2004, 11:59:12 AM »
OK, I never share this story because it is so unbelieveable that even I have come to doubt it. While true, I wouldn't blame you for treating it as one of those "Ripley Believe It Or Not" tales:

I had a 3 day run as champion on "All Star Blitz" around 1985. Among the booty was a trip to Mazatlan which I took almost a year later. I check-in at the Holiday Inn in Mazatlan with Jane (wonder where she is today). The bellhop takes us to the room and is doing that tip-hustling thing of demonstrating how to turn on the lights, how to open the curtains, how to flush the toilet, and how to watch TV.

We're obviously gringos, so he tunes the TV to the only English language channel on their satellite system. He points to the screen and says "USA". I thought he was referring to the fact that it's a channel from the US, but it's indeed the USA cable channel. The bellhop starts yammering in Spanish, I look up; he's pointing to the screen and to me. On USA at that moment is a rerun of "All Star Blitz" with me playing! I'd love to tell you it was the episode where I won the trip, but if it were I'd have been looking for Alan Funt or Rod Serling to step out from under the bed!

Believe it or not!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 12:02:51 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

calliaume

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2004, 12:32:02 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 10:59 AM\'] Believe it or not!
 [/quote]
 {Egghead}I don't believe it!{/Egghead}

Fun story.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2004, 04:05:28 PM »
When did Trio rerun Idiot Savants?  fostergray82?  I had Directv for 4 years and I can't believe I missed it!

BrandonFG

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2004, 10:45:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 03:05 PM\'] When did Trio rerun Idiot Savants?  fostergray82?  I had Directv for 4 years and I can't believe I missed it! [/quote]
 It was only for one week last summer. Joel Stein (don't remember how he's linked to Trio) was a contestant on the show, and they showed his episodes.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tommycharles

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2004, 10:49:29 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 09:45 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 03:05 PM\'] When did Trio rerun Idiot Savants?  fostergray82?  I had Directv for 4 years and I can't believe I missed it! [/quote]
It was only for one week last summer. Joel Stein (don't remember how he's linked to Trio) was a contestant on the show, and they showed his episodes. [/quote]
 It's not that he's linked to Trio specifically, they wanted a celebrity to choose some shows and call it "My Trio" - Stein was, I guess, the biggest name they could get.

uncamark

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2004, 11:45:28 AM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 09:49 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 09:45 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 03:05 PM\'] When did Trio rerun Idiot Savants?  fostergray82?  I had Directv for 4 years and I can't believe I missed it! [/quote]
It was only for one week last summer. Joel Stein (don't remember how he's linked to Trio) was a contestant on the show, and they showed his episodes. [/quote]
It's not that he's linked to Trio specifically, they wanted a celebrity to choose some shows and call it "My Trio" - Stein was, I guess, the biggest name they could get.[/quote]
Quentin Tarantino did a "My Trio" week right before "Kill Bill Vol. 1" came out.  Lots of blaxploitation and kung fu movies, IIRC.  I don't believe they've done one since then.

tommycharles

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2004, 12:16:52 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 19 2004, 10:45 AM\']
Quentin Tarantino did a "My Trio" week right before "Kill Bill Vol. 1" came out.  Lots of blaxploitation and kung fu movies, IIRC.  I don't believe they've done one since then. [/quote]
 Ah. Well...I think I'm ok with not having seen any of that :-)

It was cool of Stein to bring out Battle of the Network Stars, though. I hope that can get a decent revival someday.

rugrats1

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2004, 12:24:27 PM »
It was cool of Stein to bring out Battle of the Network Stars, though. I hope that can get a decent revival someday.

NBC did such a revival late last year, but not only was it not as fun as the originals, it featured only NBC stars.

aaron sica

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2004, 12:24:51 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Apr 19 2004, 12:16 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 19 2004, 10:45 AM\']
Quentin Tarantino did a "My Trio" week right before "Kill Bill Vol. 1" came out.  Lots of blaxploitation and kung fu movies, IIRC.  I don't believe they've done one since then. [/quote]
Ah. Well...I think I'm ok with not having seen any of that :-)

It was cool of Stein to bring out Battle of the Network Stars, though. I hope that can get a decent revival someday. [/quote]
 I don't think that will happen (and someone already said so and gave pretty much this reason, but I don't remember who) anytime soon.....I don't think a network would want to air a contest with stars from the other networks on it...

rigsby

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2004, 12:35:50 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 09:45 PM\']It was only for one week last summer. Joel Stein (don't remember how he's linked to Trio) was a contestant on the show, and they showed his episodes.[/quote]
Actually, they showed one of his episodes, multiple times.  For some reason, Joel didn't feel like showcasing the episodes where he sat in the dunce's chair.

[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 10:25 PM\']2001 bought the short-lived SMush.[/quote]

Don't forget that 2001 also brought Strip Poker, which was basically a USA original (aired on USA and the very few UHF stations USA owned at the time).

[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 08:15 AM\']But, then I remember they were replaced with kid's actions shows (most of them just Power Ranger wannabes) [/quote]

Sounds like you're thinking of "Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills".  (I can't believe I remember this show; it was a direct knockoff of Power Rangers, except with worse production values, scripts, and pretty much everything else.)  The game block was still around when this aired; as I recall, it came on right after the game block (and I watched it a couple of times for the same reason that people look at an accident on the freeway).

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2004, 12:49:57 PM »
[quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'Apr 19 2004, 12:35 PM\'] a direct knockoff of Power Rangers, except with worse production values [/quote]
 Now THERE'S a truly frightening concept.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2004, 06:21:41 PM »
[quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'Apr 19 2004, 12:35 PM\'] it was a direct knockoff of Power Rangers, except with worse production values, scripts, and pretty much everything else. [/quote]
 Considering that plotting was pretty much a foreign concept to Power Rangers at that time, that is really saying something.