Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: An idea for Whammy season 3  (Read 4667 times)

kidsplash

An idea for Whammy season 3
« on: July 04, 2003, 03:26:08 PM »
If Whammy comes back for third season, I would like to dedicate a full week to the 15 most memorable contestants in Press Your Luck history (besides Michael Larsen). Randy West will be a guest announcer because he was a contestant on the second week of PYL. Here are a few of my choices for the most memorable:

Gene Snyder
Maggie Brown
Menard
Cathy (who lost the most money in PYL history!)
Steve Bryant (\"Big Bucks and no whhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssss!\")
Geralyn
Karen Martin
Beverlie (the cross-eyed one)
Jim Hess (the foul-mouthed one)

Which contestants do you think are the most memorable?

Sean \"Kidsplash\" Davidson

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 04:30:55 PM »
[quote name=\'kidsplash\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 12:26 PM\'] If Whammy comes back for third season, I would like to dedicate a full week to the 15 most memorable contestants in Press Your Luck history (besides Michael Larsen). [/quote]
 Okay.

I'd like to think I'm (indeed, we're) more knowledgeable when it comes to game shows than the average GSN viewer.

Press Your Luck is one of my favorite shows, so I'd like to think I know about as much about the nuances of that show as even the most fanatic among average GSN viewers.

And the only reason I know a SINGLE name on that list is because someone mentioned Jim Hess on this list within about the past week. And even then, I didn't know a THING about why he was memorable until I read the parenthetical reference in your post.

You're trying to do something that will only have meaning to a small subset of THIS LIST, and we've already established that the entire membership of this list does not amount to so much as a pimple on the ass that is the GSN viewership at large.

Not remotely worth the trouble it would take for the network to make it happen.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 05:23:53 PM »
...we've already established that the entire membership of this list does not amount to so much as a pimple on the ass that is the GSN viewership at large.
So you consider us equivalent to pus on an ass?  Ew.

Brandon Brooks

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 06:03:21 PM »
I agree with Chris.  (Well, except for the \"ass\" reference.) :)  Having surfed a few PYL sites in my time, I have some idea of who some of those people are, but to more than 99% of GSN's viewers, the names would mean absolutely nothing.  I think it's a downright ridiculous idea.

Now, perhaps a marathon of their PYL episodes wouldn't be such a bad idea -- they could advertise it with something along the lines of, \"see Press Your Luck's wildest contestants.\"  But bringing them back on Whammy!?  No.

J.R.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 06:27:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 03:30 PM\'] this list does not amount to so much as a pimple on the ass that is the GSN viewership at large.
 [/quote]
 Seriously dude, I think you could of found a better anology. Like, a slimy booger on a runny nose ! ; P

Though the man is absoutly correct. I'm very sure before GSN started aring promos for it, there was a section of America didn't even know who Michael Larson was (Let alone Ed and Janie).

I know \"Feud 94\" invited famlies that once appeared on Dawson's classic version (Probably to give the Dawson something to reconnect to) for a while. Since I'm not a much of a classic \"Feud\" watcher, the eps I have with that format always respond to with a \"WHO ?!!!\", except one, the time the Trejos came back, that was a great ep and Dawson was really overjoyed to see them again. (One at the time was expecting in September !). But yeah, you'd run into the same problem with former PYL contestants. (I think they quickly ran out of classic famlies on \"Feud\" and switched to the Returning Championship format in a couple months anyway)

I believe the only classic player to return to the show was Steve Hollister and I don't even think he made one mention of his previous affair with the Whammy, because he knew GSN has never aired his shows (Dec. 83) and the general public had no idea who he was anyway.

I'm not sure who said it, but someone once said at the ezBoard that as Game Show fans, we tend to forget that most people in the world have no idea who Bob Goen is or track the various format changes of \"Jackpot!\" let alone contestants that appeared on some game show nearly 15 years ago. GSN is aware of this.

Sounds cool on paper though. It be really cool if Maggie Brown would show up. (She hasn't made a game show appereance since Wipeout in 1988)

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 07:18:46 PM »
FYI it's Scott Hostelter (sp) He was also on MG98.

DrJWJustice

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2003, 08:49:43 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 06:18 PM\'] FYI it's Scott Hostelter (sp) He was also on MG98. [/quote]
 FWIW, if I were on MG98, I'd never want to admit it (sorry Mandel).

I dunno.  FF was on for an awfully long time in its original run, and it was fun to see some of the families play again, minus one member & showing a screenshot of their original appearance.  PYL lasted longer than your average show, but I don't know if such a reunion would be as much fun.  When Feud brought the families back in the '94 version, the original host (Dawson) had also come back.  Peter Tomarken isn't hosting Whammy, so it wouldn't be as much fun, IMO.  

If I were a game show exec, I don't think I'd entertain this idea.  But I'm not, so I don't have to worry about it.

Tetsujin Chico

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2003, 03:09:46 AM »
You're trying to do something that will only have meaning to a small subset of THIS LIST, and we've already established that the entire membership of this list does not amount to so much as a pimple on the ass that is the GSN viewership at large.

And that is why there's Gamer.TV on the way =p

But seriously, even if it were plausible and even if GSN wanted entertain the idea, the chances of that happening are slim to none, as most GSN originals have lives of two seasons at most.

Amazingly enough, I was thinking that at work tonight (something akin to \"Mark Walberg's on Fox. Marc Summers is on Food Network. You know when the host is working elsewhere, nine times out of ten it doesn't bode well).

But I digress.

~C

dmota104

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2003, 12:13:11 PM »
Anyone remember Gemini from \"American Gladiators\"?  Myke (sic) Horton was a PYL contestant.  Add him to the \"most memorable\" guest list.