Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire GSN  (Read 5217 times)

passwordplus

Millionaire GSN
« on: April 06, 2004, 08:05:43 PM »
Assuming that GSN HASN'T acquired every episode of Millionaire, how long before they start back over to the November '99 episodes? These ones are with the "new" beginning from late 2000, and I understand that they don't have all the shows made(300 something)

trainman

Millionaire GSN
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 11:01:21 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 04:05 PM\'] Assuming that GSN HASN'T acquired every episode of Millionaire, how long before they start back over to the November '99 episodes? These ones are with the "new" beginning from late 2000, and I understand that they don't have all the shows made(300 something) [/quote]
 They still have new episodes for at least the next three weeks (which I know because we're still closed-captioning them).
trainman is a man of trains

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Millionaire GSN
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 11:32:12 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 10:01 PM\'] They still have new episodes for at least the next three weeks (which I know because we're still closed-captioning them). [/quote]
 OK, here's a real stupid question.  Those WWTBAM episodes were previously closed-captioned when they aired on ABC, yes?  So why do they need to be recaptioned (not trying to take anything away from the work that you do, of course, but dang it if my curiosity didn't get the best of me yet again)?

I guess the more pointed question is, "How do you do the voodoo that you do?"

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Timsterino

Millionaire GSN
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 01:56:08 AM »
[quote name=\'cac8383\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 08:26 PM\'] They're now on the shows from fall 2000 with the 2nd intro. My guess is probably when it gets to almost the 2001 shows. I do know they don't have the Olmstead, Cullen, and Toutant $1M win episodes. [/quote]
When I saw on air promos after GSN picked up Millionaire, I saw clips from shows that originally aired in January, 2001. So I am pretty sure they have episodes up until at least the beginning of January, 2001.

Personally, I wish they picked up episodes that originally aired at least until September 9, 2001. ;-)

Tim :-)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 01:56:59 AM by Timsterino »

catnap1972

Millionaire GSN
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 07:36:54 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 10:32 PM\'] [quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 10:01 PM\'] They still have new episodes for at least the next three weeks (which I know because we're still closed-captioning them). [/quote]
OK, here's a real stupid question.  Those WWTBAM episodes were previously closed-captioned when they aired on ABC, yes?  So why do they need to be recaptioned (not trying to take anything away from the work that you do, of course, but dang it if my curiosity didn't get the best of me yet again)?
 [/quote]
 I'm not trainman but my guess is that they have to be recaptioned since GSN required ABC to compress the shows for them to fit more commercials in (it either breaks entirely, or more likely will go out of sync if they leave the captioning as is)

Ian Wallis

Millionaire GSN
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 08:53:32 AM »
When I saw on air promos after GSN picked up Millionaire, I saw clips from shows that originally aired in January, 2001. So I am pretty sure they have episodes up until at least the beginning of January, 2001.

Haven't some of the celebrity shows they've aired been from after 9/11?  I'm sure I've seen some charity shows where Regis says that the money will go to 9/11 charities.

Maybe they've got JUST the celebrity episodes from that time?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

Millionaire GSN
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 08:56:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Apr 7 2004, 07:53 AM\']

Haven't some of the celebrity shows they've aired been from after 9/11?  I'm sure I've seen some charity shows where Regis says that the money will go to 9/11 charities.

Maybe they've got JUST the celebrity episodes from that time? [/quote]
 They have all the celeb shows, plus 200 or so of the civilian episodes(they acquired a new batch since October). The AUgust 1999 shows and the Oscar-weekend movie trivia episode from March 2000 have not yet aired; they may or may not have acquired the August 1999 shows in their second batch.

trainman

Millionaire GSN
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 12:01:55 AM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' date=\'Apr 7 2004, 03:36 AM\'] I'm not trainman but my guess is that they have to be recaptioned since GSN required ABC to compress the shows for them to fit more commercials in (it either breaks entirely, or more likely will go out of sync if they leave the captioning as is) [/quote]
 Yes, the compression is half of it.  The other half is that, when it originally aired on ABC, it used roll-up captioning that was being done "live"; GSN wants pop-on captions.

We're not completely recaptioning it, just doing what we call "reformatting"...taking the original captioning file and doing a fairly quick-and-dirty job of changing it from roll-up to pop-on, and fixing any egregious errors we notice.

Esoteric Eric

Millionaire GSN
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 08:50:16 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Apr 7 2004, 09:01 PM\']...and fixing any egregious errors we notice.[/quote]

For example, if that phrase was uttered by a Millionaire contestant, the "live" captioner (present company excluded, Trainman!) may well have entered it as:

"... AND FIXING ANY EGG REGIS ERRORS WE NOTICE."

<Kenny Mayne> Or not... </KM> ((8=D))

Esoteric Eric, not really hard-of-hearing, but leaves the CC on all the time
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Clay Zambo

Millionaire GSN
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 10:55:01 AM »
Where do you find out the original airdate of these eps? I'm looking for one from early January '01.
czambo@mac.com

trainman

Millionaire GSN
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2004, 11:09:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Apr 8 2004, 04:50 AM\'] For example, if that phrase was uttered by a Millionaire contestant, the "live" captioner (present company excluded, Trainman!) may well have entered it as:

"... AND FIXING ANY EGG REGIS ERRORS WE NOTICE." [/quote]
 Well, you are excluding me, because I'm not a live captioner, as one look at my paycheck will tell you.

It now looks like GSN will have "new" episodes airing at least through June 18th.  I have no idea about the original airdates.