Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting Judge decision on 5pm Dawson Feud  (Read 5907 times)

adamjk

Interesting Judge decision on 5pm Dawson Feud
« on: April 07, 2004, 05:32:38 PM »
During the Fast Money round, one of the questions was: Name a good drink for dieters. The second person, said Diet Pepsi. It didn't gain any points. The #1 answer was Diet soda. Now correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Diet Pepsi and Diet Soda more or less the same thing? It didn't matter however, as the family won the money anyway, it just surprised me.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 05:39:41 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Apr 7 2004, 02:32 PM\'] During the Fast Money round, one of the questions was: Name a good drink for dieters. The second person, said Diet Pepsi. It didn't gain any points. The #1 answer was Diet soda. Now correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Diet Pepsi and Diet Soda more or less the same thing? It didn't matter however, as the family won the money anyway, it just surprised me. [/quote]
 What did the first person say?

Usually, they would take that, give them the credit for "diet soda", and specify that they were doing so. Maybe they felt that Pepsi was too small of a subset of "soda".
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

adamjk

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 05:41:01 PM »
The first person said tab. Have no idea what that is though.

JayC

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 05:44:43 PM »
Tab is an old soda from the 70s

Anyway, shouldn't they have asked that person to give a more judgeable answer?  But, I guess they should have counted all diet brand names as diet soda...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 06:01:36 PM »
Anyway, shouldn't they have asked that person to give a more judgeable answer?
How do you do that in 20 seconds?

Did they match Tab and diet soda? Tab and Diet Pepsi both match "diet soda" so the second player should have been buzzed.

adamjk

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 06:22:10 PM »
I imagine if they were to have done that, they would have done it after he had finished. And no, they did not match the two.

inturnaround

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 09:18:02 PM »
TaB is a product from Coca-Cola.  It was the precursor to Diet Coke. The main difference between the two is that Diet Coke uses NutraSweet (aspartame) and TaB uses saccharin. (Except for Diet Coke from the fountain, that does use saccharin for production reasons)

TaB is still sold, though in far less places than it did in the 70s and early 80s. Each Coke bottler decides independently if they will make TaB.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

mctoyboy

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 09:41:20 PM »
Remember those hourglass promo Tab glasses that sucked to clean? =)
j

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 11:14:01 PM »
Was Tab #1? Or was it Fresca?

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 11:44:50 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Apr 7 2004, 04:41 PM\'] The first person said tab. Have no idea what that is though. [/quote]
 No offense to you at all, but you're making me feel *real* old at this moment...;)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 01:22:34 AM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Apr 7 2004, 04:32 PM\'] During the Fast Money round, one of the questions was: Name a good drink for dieters. The second person, said Diet Pepsi. It didn't gain any points. The #1 answer was Diet soda. Now correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Diet Pepsi and Diet Soda more or less the same thing? It didn't matter however, as the family won the money anyway, it just surprised me. [/quote]
I guess the argument that could be made is that "Diet Pepsi" [Wasn't it still Pepsi Free then anyhow?] is a diet cola, while a "diet soda" could be anything from 7up to Cheerwine.

That's how I see it, anyhow.

OT: For those who hadn't heard of Tab, here you are: http://home.epix.net/~tjwagner/tab.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 01:23:44 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 07:50:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Apr 8 2004, 12:22 AM\']
I guess the argument that could be made is that "Diet Pepsi" [Wasn't it still Pepsi Free then anyhow?] [/quote]
 Pepsi Free and its sister Diet Pepsi Free (Pepsi sans caffeine, now known as Caffeine-Free Pepsi) didn't debut until 1982, the Feud episode in question was from 1977. Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Light were on store shelves in 1977.

Card Shark

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2004, 10:24:28 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 8 2004, 06:50 AM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Apr 8 2004, 12:22 AM\']
I guess the argument that could be made is that "Diet Pepsi" [Wasn't it still Pepsi Free then anyhow?] [/quote]
Pepsi Free and its sister Diet Pepsi Free (Pepsi sans caffeine, now known as Caffeine-Free Pepsi) didn't debut until 1982, the Feud episode in question was from 1977. Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Light were on store shelves in 1977. [/quote]
 Yes, and for those curious, Pepsi Light is our current version of Pepsi with lemon. I remember it being a turquoisi-light blue can.
Adam Strom

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2004, 12:24:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Apr 8 2004, 09:24 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 8 2004, 06:50 AM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Apr 8 2004, 12:22 AM\']
Pepsi Free and its sister Diet Pepsi Free (Pepsi sans caffeine, now known as Caffeine-Free Pepsi) didn't debut until 1982, the Feud episode in question was from 1977. Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Light were on store shelves in 1977. [/quote]
Yes, and for those curious, Pepsi Light is our current version of Pepsi with lemon. I remember it being a turquoisi-light blue can. [/quote]
 .........and, umm, I remember the dismal failure known as Crystal Pepsi, c. 1992.

ObGameShow: Shasta was a popular game show consolation soda.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2004, 12:31:43 PM »
Okay, ya got me.  Being a big fan of TVLand, I thought I'd be able to get through this whole thread without doing something like this...but what the heck is Cheerwine?

And I liked Crystal Pepsi...