Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New TPIR Announcer Named  (Read 16627 times)

Chief-O

New TPIR Announcer Named
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2004, 07:23:35 AM »
Well, Randy, needless to say, you were pretty darn great.

Art Sanders was actually my most favorite out of the new people, with Rich having the second place spot. So, congratulations to Rich.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 07:24:15 AM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

zachhoran

New TPIR Announcer Named
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2004, 08:08:16 AM »
Aw, we wanted Randy, Fremangle, we wanted Randy. As usual, Fremangle doesn't learn. I wish Rich the best, however. If Fremangle's smart, Randy could still get guest announcer gigs if Rich misses any tapings, or they could put him on whatever game show is next on their docket.

cmjb13

New TPIR Announcer Named
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2004, 08:20:37 AM »
Put it this way. We all win.

Daniel Rosen wasn't chosen.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

vtown7

New TPIR Announcer Named
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2004, 08:56:25 AM »
Randy -

I also want to add my two cents... you did a great job in the rotating chair of announcers and I'm sad that you didn't get the permanent gig.  It was my first time hearing your work (as we don't get Lifetime, Big Spin affiliates etc. up here in most parts of Canada) and I think you do a great job.

I'd like to also emphasize what "The Ol' Guy" said... I am quite thrilled when I post and someone like yourself "in the biz" responds.  Please do keep posting!

I shall bring you a bottle of Newfoundland Screech as a thank you the next time I'm in la-la-land.

Cheers,

Ryan :)

DaneFromKansas

New TPIR Announcer Named
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2004, 09:06:07 AM »
Mr. West, I agree with pretty much everyone else that has posted.  I was pulling for you, and am saddened that you didn't get the job.  Hearing your announcing work on The Price is Right brought back memories of Johnny and Rod, you're every bit as good as they were in their prime.  That being said, I wish Rich the best of luck, and Randy, I'm confident that with your skills, you'll always be able to find a great game show that needs a great voice.

drmusic_99

New TPIR Announcer Named
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2004, 11:11:53 AM »
I'm sure every one of us here has been through rejection like this, and I hope everyone's kind words make it easier for you Randy, and I look forward to hearing you again somewhere, soon, and that your wit continues to grace these boards.

And congratulations to Rich. Based on what I've heard of him so far, I know he'll be teriffic.

BrandonFG

New TPIR Announcer Named
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2004, 11:13:09 AM »
Randy, I'm truly sorry that you didn't get the gig. Rich was good, but you definitely had the perfect fit as a TPiR announcer. I wish you the best, as someone will have the good sense to tap you as an announcer, and when I get my project "Countdown" off the ground, I definitely know who to turn to. ;-)

BTW, Randy did you ever rub Matt O.'s head for good luck? :-)  (heads to The Chamber Chamber)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gsfan85

New TPIR Announcer Named
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2004, 11:21:58 AM »
Hey Randy,

I know everyone's posted the same thoughts, but I must add.

Since I've known you, I have not known anyone as kind, friendly and charming as you in the biz, I'm so sorry you didn't get the gig, but like you said, you lived a dream.  

Randy, you gave it your best.  Think of how far you've come since Trivial Pursuit and Wild Animal Games!  You're a talented guy!

Congrats to Rich, and Randy good luck in EVERYTHING you do!
Adam

Card Shark

New TPIR Announcer Named
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2004, 12:18:23 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 7 2004, 07:08 AM\'] Aw, we wanted Randy, Fremangle, we wanted Randy. As usual, Fremangle doesn't learn. I wish Rich the best, however. If Fremangle's smart, Randy could still get guest announcer gigs if Rich misses any tapings, or they could put him on whatever game show is next on their docket. [/quote]
 Fremangle knew full well that with someone as good as Randy, they'd probably have to pay him more than they wanted. So, that's why things worked out the way they did.
Adam Strom

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New TPIR Announcer Named
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2004, 12:48:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Apr 7 2004, 09:18 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 7 2004, 07:08 AM\'] Aw, we wanted Randy, Fremangle, we wanted Randy. As usual, Fremangle doesn't learn. I wish Rich the best, however. If Fremangle's smart, Randy could still get guest announcer gigs if Rich misses any tapings, or they could put him on whatever game show is next on their docket. [/quote]
Fremangle knew full well that with someone as good as Randy, they'd probably have to pay him more than they wanted. So, that's why things worked out the way they did. [/quote]
 I am absloutely convinced this is the case. That, or they intentionally did not want a boisterous, active personality in the announce booth, which would be in line with their "announcers should be heard and not seen" policy.

And if that's the case, then Randy West didn't get the job because he delivered Randy West to people who weren't looking for Randy West, and there is NEVER any shame to be had in that. If Fremantle is too stupid to realize that what they NEED is a Randy West, then I have to think he's better off not working there.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mike Tennant

New TPIR Announcer Named
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2004, 01:04:43 PM »
Tough luck, Randy; but as you said, at least you got to live your dream for a little while, which is more than most of us frustrated Barker wannabees can say.

Who knows?  Perhaps Rich will move on to another gig in a few years, and you'll get another shot at it.  You still have a few good "Come on down"s in you.

Congratulations to Rich.  He certainly seems among the most deserving of the alternative candidates, and I'm sure he'll do a fine job.

DrBear

New TPIR Announcer Named
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2004, 01:06:31 PM »
Consider this ... Randy, you got to do what few people ever get the chance to do. How many of us will quarterback the Packers like Bart Starr, hit home runs for the Giants like Barry Bonds, give a speech like Ronald Reagan, sing the same operas as Pavarotti ... well you get the picture. How many of us ever get to do the exact same thing the people we grew up idolizing did? Damn few, and you did it, quite well. The fact that it won't be permanent, by contrast, should be seen as minor. You're to be congratulated; you set a goal and did it.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Tony

New TPIR Announcer Named
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2004, 01:07:20 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 7 2004, 11:48 AM\'][quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Apr 7 2004, 09:18 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 7 2004, 07:08 AM\'] Aw, we wanted Randy, Fremangle, we wanted Randy. As usual, Fremangle doesn't learn. I wish Rich the best, however. If Fremangle's smart, Randy could still get guest announcer gigs if Rich misses any tapings, or they could put him on whatever game show is next on their docket. [/quote]
Fremangle knew full well that with someone as good as Randy, they'd probably have to pay him more than they wanted. So, that's why things worked out the way they did. [/quote]
I am absloutely convinced this is the case. That, or they intentionally did not want a boisterous, active personality in the announce booth, which would be in line with their "announcers should be heard and not seen" policy.

And if that's the case, then Randy West didn't get the job because he delivered Randy West to people who weren't looking for Randy West, and there is NEVER any shame to be had in that. If Fremantle is too stupid to realize that what they NEED is a Randy West, then I have to think he's better off not working there.[/quote]
First off, let me just day "ditto" to everything else in this thread.

The possible reasons cited by Mr. Lemon as to why Mr. West wasn't hired full-time by FremantleMedia is, to me, yet another sign that the standards of game show production these days is found wanting compared with previous years.

Mario500

New TPIR Announcer Named
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2004, 01:16:14 PM »
Y'all shouldn't be guessing if Freemantle Media (or Dismantle the Media, like the FCC) purposely chose someone other than the most popular among all the announcers that had their chance for the announcing position. Maybe Rich Fields was meant to be the newest addition to the announcer chair? We'll hear and hopefully view him prove that in the upcoming months of Year 32.

Don Howard

New TPIR Announcer Named
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2004, 01:27:03 PM »
Sorry, Randy, you were in my top tier for the gig (along with Art and the eventual winner plus, of course, my dark horse favorite Bob Hilton) but there are other great VO jobs to come and you'll be terrific then.
And at least Burton (who's good on Family Feud and Daniel {who I'm sure is killer with the Vegas show} weren't chosen.
And congratulations to Rich.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 01:27:43 PM by Don Howard »