The Game Show Forum > Game Show Channels & Networks

When did you first hear about GSN?

(1/7) > >>

edholland83:
I wanted to find out when you first had found about GSN and what your first impression of it was. I remembered the first time I
had heard about Game Show Network was sometime in '92 or '93 when Entertainment Tonight did a brief story on the plans to start the network, I thinnl the video clip had Wink Martindale in it, anyway, That was just my story of how I first found out about it, I finally got the channel when my family got primestar in 1997 and didn't start watching it often until 2000.

I guess some people have more interestng stories about how they found out about it.

joey7879:
I saw a description for GSN in the brochure for digital cable around 1999 and was intrigued. I had a slight interest for game shows since I grew up watching The Price Is Right, Combs' Family Feud, Wheel of Fortune, Bumper Stumpers and some others. I decided to look GSN up on the internet and was excited to see there was actually such thing as a 24-hour network that played my favourite kind of show and saw that they even aired older episodes of my favourites! (I'm really missing the classic TPIR) Anyways, I was also hooked on to some of the originals when I first watched, but as my interest in game shows grew I learned the network has aired much, much better quality stuff in the past and now I've turned into the semi-hardcore fan I am today... lol

And that's my boring story. :-p

jalman:
I first knew about GSN through those plugs they had during the end of J! and WOF.

Then my aunt started raving about it.  Soon after, digital cable came to the house, I enjoyed GSN for five years.

Clarence

aaron sica:
[quote name=\'edholland83\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 01:15 AM\'] I wanted to find out when you first had found about GSN and what your first impression of it was. I remembered the first time I
had heard about Game Show Network was sometime in '92 or '93 when Entertainment Tonight did a brief story on the plans to start the network, I thinnl the video clip had Wink Martindale in it, anyway, That was just my story of how I first found out about it, I finally got the channel when my family got primestar in 1997 and didn't start watching it often until 2000.

I guess some people have more interestng stories about how they found out about it. [/quote]
 I had first found out about GSN via the \"Broadcasting and Cable\" magazine....They were running ads for it as launch time neared, with pictures of playing cards with some pictures of the hosts on them....... The ad said something like \"With 50,000 episodes....we came to play!\" Naturally, I was excited...I remember going into a bookstore and looking at \"OnSat\" so I could check out the schedule to see what all kind of shows they had, and naturally, I WANTED IT. :)

I was about 1 1/2 years removed from HS at that point, so I still had some ties to it...As past president of the A/V Club, I got one of my old teachers to tune the school's satellite dish to tape GSN for me, and so I have a couple tapes of GSN's early days to go on...

As for getting GSN permanently, that finally happened on 11/5/96 when we got DISH Network, and aside from moving a few times and not puting up the dish right away, it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Ian Wallis:
I first heard about it in a TVGuide Fall Preview edition.  A couple of editions from the early '90s mentioned it as a new network, but it didn't hit the air until a couple of years later.

A few weeks before the premiere,  OnSat magazine mentioned the startup of 7 p.m. on Dec. 1, 1994.  I couldn't wait.  In its early days it was not scrambled, so I was there from the startup.  My only regret is that I didn't tape the startup.  I know there is a 6-minute opening clip in the trading circuit, but I hadn't yet gotten into game show trading at that time and didn't figure there was a need to save it (if only I'd known!)

In the early years my dish was on it almost 24/7.  These days I might watch only two or three hours a week at most.

It's just too bad they couldn't have gone through there entire stash of 50,000 episodes before they started to go in the direction they have.  I'd be willing to bet there's close to 20,000 they've never aired.  Oh well...

Even with the state of GSN now, I'm glad it's been around for the last 9 years.  At least it's given us video collectors a lot of stuff we probalby wouldn't have had otherwise, and for that I'm grateful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version