The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Think Fast

(1/5) > >>

James Allen:
There are some game show hosts that a synonimous with a specific game show, sure, they may have hosted other shows, but there's that one show they've hosted so long it's hard not to think about one without thinking about the other; Bob Barker = Price is Right, Alex Trebek = Jeopardy!, Allen Ludden = Password, Pat Sajak = Wheel of Fortune, Gene Rayburn = Match Game, Richard Dawson = FF, etc.

But what about the following, well traveled hosts? What's the first show that pops into your head when you think of the following people (some have more obvious choices than others):

Jack Narz
Tom Kennedy
Bill Cullen
Geoff Edwards
Chuck Woolery (Singled Out doesn't count)
Wink Martindale
Peter Tomarken
Jim Peck
Gary Moore
Jim Lange
Bert Convy
Jack Clark

My answers below:

Jack Narz - Now You See It
Tom Kennedy - Wordplay (that's what popped into my head for some reason)
Bill Cullen - Blockbusters
Geoff Edwards - Treasure Hunt
Chuck Woolery - Wheel of Fortune (still!)
Wink Martindale - Gambit
Peter Tomarken - Press your Luck
Jim Peck - Joker's Wild
Gary Moore - I've Got a Secret
Jim Lange - Dating Game
Bert Convy - Tattletales
Jack Clark - Crosswits

clemon79:
[quote name=\'James Allen\' date=\'Jul 3 2003, 06:55 PM\'] But what about the following, well traveled hosts?
 [/quote]

I'll play, and I haven't even looked at your answers yet, just to get a completely accurate reading:

However, for a couple of these, a different show pops into my head than what I would consider to be their DEFINITIVE show. So in those cases I will list both.

Jack Narz: Concentration

Tom Kennedy: Whew! (Definitive show: Name That Tune)

Bill Cullen: Honestly, the first thing I thought of was Hot Potato, oddly enough. I think Blockbusters defines his style the best, though.

Geoff Edwards: Treasure Hunt

Chuck Woolery:Wheel Of Fortune. Prolly better known for Scrabble.

Wink Martindale: Tic Tac Dough

Peter Tomarken: Press Your Luck, is there a question? (The guy who seriously
says \"Bargain Hunters\" answers to be personally. :))

Jim Peck: Even though I've never seen it outside of clips, I'd have to go with Big Showdown. Unfortunately, he might be better known for Three's A Crowd.

Garry Moore: To Tell The Truth. Whether this or IGAS is his defining show depends on how old you are, I think.

Jim Lange: Dating Game.

Bert Convy: Tattletales

Jack Clark: Crosswits.

That done, let's see how we did... Hmm. Yeah, we matched up pretty good...

SplitSecond:
The unfortunate thing is that asking people to do free association and then offering your own free associations won't quite get scientific responses.  I suspect you'll be seeing a lot of responses echoing your own.

That said, I didn't look at your list, and here are my responses:

Jack Narz - Now You See It
Tom Kennedy - Name That Tune
Bill Cullen - The Price is Right
Geoff Edwards - Chain Reaction
Chuck Woolery - Scrabble
Wink Martindale - Tic Tac Dough
Peter Tomarken - Press Your Luck
Jim Peck - Joker's Wild, actually
Garry Moore - To Tell the Truth
Jim Lange - Name That Tune
Bert Convy - Super Password
Jack Clark - Dealer's Choice

Now having looked at your list, I matched three.  Unsurprisingly, I matched the first one because that's what stuck in my head after starting to read your list and realizing what it was.  Ah, the power of suggestion.

Clay Zambo:
Jack Narz - NYSI
Tom Kennedy - Split Second
Bill Cullen - Three on a Match
Geoff Edwards - Jackpot!
Chuck Woolery (Singled Out doesn't count) - he did that?  Wheel
Wink Martindale - TTD
Peter Tomarken - PYL, with Paranoia a close second
Jim Peck - Big Showdown
Jim Lange - Dating Game
Bert Convy - Tattletales
Jack Clark - Dealer's Choice

I'm thinking that my responses pretty much indicate the first show on which I saw the host.

Clay Zambo:
Hm.  There goes my theory.  Much as I love the Narz \"Concentration,\" it completely slipped my mind.  I guess that neon-bright set for \"Now You See It\" knocked the mirror walls and Chevy Vegas out of my recollection momentarily.

And I see that I skipped Garry Moore completely--probably 'cause haven't seen enough of his shows.  (Wasn't around when they were first run, don't stay up that late now.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version