The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Various Thoughts and Questions

(1/2) > >>

James Allen:
Hello again, all.

I love the new board. I'd been out of the game show posting loop for awhile, what with atvgs having turned into a wasteland many moons ago. I'm happy to have found out about this place.

I have a ton of posts to sift through, so pardon me if I am redundant.

Will WWTBAM be back on network TV anytime soon? (Say, as a two week \"event\" like it used to be?)

I don't care for the current Hollywood Square endgame. It seems to take the car key aspect of the Davidson version and add an uninteresting True/False bit. Why have a forced endgame on a show that doesn't need one? It's like if Jeopardy suddenly went back to the 1978 endgame.

I miss Win Ben Stein's Money.

I like Lingo. I don't care for Funny Money. The new Pyramid is frustrating in that it's pretty good but just short of being great.

Watching The Price is Right these days just shows what an all-time great game it is. And one key to this is that, in all these years, they haven't messed with the format .

By the way, I love the prime time shows. Showcase showdowns of 50K+? I never thought I'd see such a thing!

Richard Karn is a nice guy and everything, but he's a dull game show host.

Todd Newton is probably the anti-christ. But seriously, he's not too engaging. No wonder he's also a talking head on E! (Tom Beregon has similar looks to Newton, but he is much more interesting and likeable, i.e. he seems like he's a real person.)

Speaking of E!, you've probably hashed this one out around here, but it's about the E! THS about HS. I enjoyed it very much. I wonder, anyone find any errors in the show worth talking about?

They also showed a clip of the HS pilot (with Bert Parks) I assume it exists in full. Has anyone seen it?

That's enough for now. Take care, all.

Robert Hutchinson:

--- Quote ---I don't care for the current Hollywood Square endgame. It seems to take the car key aspect of the Davidson version and add an uninteresting True/False bit. Why have a forced endgame on a show that doesn't need one?
--- End quote ---

IMO, Hollywood Squares needs an endgame if it's not going to straddle. The alternatives would be \"Joan, you were ahead when the horn sounded, so here's $25,000!\" or \"We're out of time, and you win whatever's on the screen in front of you, good night.\"

clemon79:
[quote name=\'James Allen\' date=\'Jul 3 2003, 02:58 PM\'] Will WWTBAM be back on network TV anytime soon? (Say, as a two week "event" like it used to be?)

[/quote]
 I don't think ABC has ruled out the possibility, but don't hold your breath.

--- Quote ---I miss Win Ben Stein's Money.
--- End quote ---

Me too. It's something I would Tivo if they were running new shows. I even liked Nancy.

--- Quote ---Watching The Price is Right these days just shows what an all-time great game it is. And one key to this is that, in all these years, they haven't messed with the format .
--- End quote ---

Overall, I agree, but they have made little tweaks here and there to deal with inflation issues.

The one TPiR game I think has been most adversely affected? Lucky Seven. Without that gimme (or at least within 1) for the first number, it's damn near impossible to win anymore.

James Allen:

--- Quote ---IMO, Hollywood Squares needs an endgame if it's not going to straddle. The alternatives would be \"Joan, you were ahead when the horn sounded, so here's $25,000!\" or \"We're out of time, and you win whatever's on the screen in front of you, good night.\"
--- End quote ---

True. But the old way with the Secret Square type question and the prize envelope was satisfying enough. The current one just takes too long, taking away from main game play; and with a show like HS, the main game (i.e. interacting with the celebrities) is the important ingredient.

Matt Ottinger:
Now see, I just love the new endgame.  Simply put, Hollywood Squares is all about the celebrities, and one could argue that those little nuggets of information (even the wrong ones) are very entertaining.  I even enjoy \"Behind the Squares\".  I just feel that people don't tune into the show to see which contestant gets more tic-tac-toes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version