Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Minimum Daily Double wager?  (Read 8079 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Minimum Daily Double wager?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2003, 02:27:10 AM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 11:15 PM\'] You say this in an era where college tourney contestants leave themselves with $69 when they miss Final Jeopardy?
 [/quote]
 Good point. I'm talking regular play, tho. It's pretty clear they'll let any jackass into the niche tournaments. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2003, 01:47:18 PM »
[cheap shot in jest]

Exactly!  I mean, look what kind of weirdos they let win 70 grand in the Hollywood Squares tourneys!

[/csij]
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2003, 05:06:38 PM »
hey, C++ isn't THAT far removed from Pascal, I'll pick up the Visual one, get a nice book, and I'll be writing Windows apps in no time.

Mmmm hmmm.

After about three days two realities came to mind:

1) \"C++\" and \"Visual C++\" are two distinctly different programming techniques.

2) This is NOT the way to learn C++.

Heavy intoxication might be the way.

So I'm fumbling. This is the first time I've programmed in a Windows environment, and it's nothing like I've ever used before. Mind you, it's a really neat programming environment, but it assumes you know C++ going in. This evening I spent much of the night building the wager boxes for Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy (easy, but involved to do it right), and hit the wall trying to figure out how to get whatever they type into that box back to the main form and converted into an integer so I can use it. Oh. THEN I have to figure out how to reprimand the user if they wager more or less than is legal.

I don't know why you're bothering with Visual C++ or anything ++. The boys at CBS Electronics do some very nice work in Visual BASIC, or you could try a language called Euphoria. Someone once said C++ belongs in the garbage can, and poor garbage can. C is the language that fights you. That's why I unashamedly endorse BASIC.

How's that for topic drift?

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2003, 07:21:46 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 12:47 PM\'] [cheap shot in jest]

Exactly!  I mean, look what kind of weirdos they let win 70 grand in the Hollywood Squares tourneys!

[/csij] [/quote]
 You ain't lying.  That kid was nuts.

Brandon Brooks

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2003, 08:16:56 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 04:06 PM\']C is the language that fights you. That's why I unashamedly endorse BASIC.[/quote]
If you're trying to ride a horse, and it's fighting you, you should turn instead to a pogo stick?

More than two fish in that particular ocean . . .
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2003, 10:21:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 05:16 PM\'] If you're trying to ride a horse, and it's fighting you, you should turn instead to a pogo stick?

More than two fish in that particular ocean . . . [/quote]
 Robert and Chris both have good points. Visual Basic is powerful, no question, but I've been wanting to learn C++ for a long time, and the fact that a Visual version exists and I can use it to make Windows apps just like the pros do is another draw. I'm sure I will look at VB down the line (or maybe sooner, depending on what it's going for at the Company Store) 'cuz it would probably be easier to whip up small apps quickly.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2003, 11:10:45 PM »
If you're trying to ride a horse, and it's fighting you, you should turn instead to a pogo stick?

When was the last time you got into a fight with a pogo stick? ;-)

I'm not writing an operating system or a language compiler. For most of the stuff I do BASIC gets the job done with a minimum of muss and fuss. It's come a long way since BASICA and GWBASIC.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 11:15:14 PM by chris319 »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2003, 12:01:46 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 10:10 PM\']When was the last time you got into a fight with a pogo stick? ;-)[/quote]
When was the last time you traveled anywhere via pogo stick? But, of course, you already knew that was my point. :-P

I encountered copious amounts of both muss and fuss during my time spent with (modern) BASIC. I'm glad you've been more fortunate. I used up all my luck on this Win98 machine that almost never crashes.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin