Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This Day in History, 1973  (Read 3444 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

This Day in History, 1973
« on: July 02, 2003, 11:45:06 PM »
\"Get Ready to Match the Stars! Michael Landon...Vicki Lawrence...Jack Klugman...Jo Ann Pflug... Richard Dawson...and Anita Gilette, as we play the star-studded, big-money, Match Game '73!

And now, here's the star of Match Game '73, Gene Rayburn!\"

These words, uttered by Johnny Olson, ushered in a new era of game shows on television. Match Game was revamped and revived on television with annual updates, risqué questions, and wacky panelists. It was this formula that gave this show the top spot in daytime television until \"The Price Is Right\" took over in 1978.

Match Game has done a lot over the years. It helped give birth to Family Feud, helped Richard Dawson to stardom with the aforementioned show, and made Gene Rayburn a household name.

The success of the CBS daytime version helped bring about Match Game PM, a weekly syndicated show with increased jackpots and more suggestive humor. This version ran from 1975 to 1980.

After CBS canceled their daytime edition in 1979, the door was opened to a daytime syndicated version that ran from 1979 to 1982. The Gene Rayburn era had ended.

Two more versions surfaced, but neither could capture the magic and wit of the original and was canceled within a year.

That is it on my retrospective on MG. Please feel free to chime in on your thoughts!

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 03:41:16 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 08:45 PM\'] Two more versions surfaced [/quote]
 Three. MGHSH, Shafer, and Burger.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 08:20:04 AM »
I do believe Feud became the number one daytime GS by 1977, with one half of TPIR taking over the top spot by 1981-ish. MG's ratings suffered a bigger blow because of the late 1977 move to 11AM, which lasted three months but the ratings never really recovered, as per Gene himself.

Winkfan

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 09:56:58 PM »
My site is saluting MG '7X this month with a special extended 'Candid Caption' page. Mind you, it's only gonna be at my site for the entire month of July. When you check it out, let me know what you think of it; or can you think of better captions for those pics than I can?

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Peggy Cass of the Big Board!'
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)