Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Oh Canada trip  (Read 4666 times)

catkins522

Oh Canada trip
« on: July 02, 2003, 09:49:22 PM »
I am going to Toronto, Ontario, Canada November 7-9 to see a Red Green taping.  Besides the Tower and the taping, what else can I see in 3 days?
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

Footix

Oh Canada trip
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 10:16:12 AM »
Well, if you're a hockey fan, I'd suggest going to the Hockey Hall of Fame. There's not much else I can suggest though.

DrBear

Oh Canada trip
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 11:04:07 AM »
In an attempt to drag this on-topic, or close to, the CBC headquarters is close to the CN tower and Skydome. Their website does include information about the CBC Museum which is free; didn't get a chance to go there myself last year as I only had a day (and Blue Jays tickets to see Barry Bonds knock batting practice balls off the hotel in the Skydome).

Oh, and if you stop at a KFC, have some poutine. You'll thank me later.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

catkins522

Oh Canada trip
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 06:47:43 PM »

OK, I give, what in the heck is poutine?

Charles
-----------

kelvint

Oh Canada trip
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 07:02:51 PM »
OK, I give, what in the heck is poutine?

It's French fries topped with cheese curds and gravy.  Delicious!

catkins522

Oh Canada trip
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 08:40:47 PM »
Hmmm...interesting....I will try that.

Charles
-----------

rugrats1

Oh Canada trip
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 10:51:53 PM »
the CBC headquarters is close to the CN tower and Skydome. Their website does include information about the CBC Museum which is free...

The museum section is quite small, but it's a treasure trove of CBC TV history. Except for a \"Reach For The Top\" guidebook, I didn't see anything game-show related there. But still, please stop by -- it's rather interesting. I've been there twice when I went to Toronto (in 1999 and 2000).

Practically, every fast food chain in Canada, including McDonald's, Burger King and, of course, KFC, sells poutine (fries topped with gravy and cheese), which is practically the national food of Canada.

Blaq

Oh Canada trip
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 09:41:19 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jul 3 2003, 10:04 AM\']In an attempt to drag this on-topic, or close to, the CBC headquarters is close to the CN tower and Skydome. Their website does include information about the CBC Museum which is free; didn't get a chance to go there myself last year as I only had a day (and Blue Jays tickets to see Barry Bonds knock batting practice balls off the hotel in the Skydome).

Oh, and if you stop at a KFC, have some poutine. You'll thank me later.[/quote]
Oh, for the love of God.

If you're going to send him to a fast-food place for poutine (pron. \"poo-TEEN\"), make it Harvey's!

To be authentic, poutine must be done with thick, brown fries drowned in thick, brown gravy. Harvey's is a great substitute outside Quebec. The skinny, white fries offered at the likes of KFC and Burger King, with their thin, watery sauce, won't convey the full, artery-clogging experience.

Make it Harvey's! (Delish burgers, too!)

DrBear

Oh Canada trip
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2003, 11:32:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Blaq\' date=\'Jul 16 2003, 08:41 AM\']
If you're going to send him to a fast-food place for poutine (pron. "poo-TEEN"), make it Harvey's!

Make it Harvey's! (Delish burgers, too!) [/quote]
 Is that the place with the counter where you order the burgers, then step to the counter next to it and tell the person what to put on the burger? If so, they do have good burgers....

ObGameShow: Has there ever been a game show with a fast-food theme?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Ian Wallis

Oh Canada trip
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2003, 11:33:05 AM »
Quote:
Practically, every fast food chain in Canada, including McDonald's, Burger King and, of course, KFC, sells poutine (fries topped with gravy and cheese), which is practically the national food of Canada.

-------

Strange...I don't think I've ever heard of it (I certainly haven't eaten it!)

Regarding the CBC Museum, I've never visited but it's too bad they don't have much game show material there.  There were some cool shows produced on CBC over the years.  A few that come to mind:  \"Front Page Challenge\" (which ran for over 30 years), \"This is the Law\" (a great show from the '70s), and \"Beyond Reason\" - a game show with panelists who were supposed to be pshycics.

Probably the best-known other CBC show was \"Talkabout\" from the late '80s, but that was produced in Vancouver.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

Oh Canada trip
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2003, 11:46:04 AM »
not exactly a Fast Food theme, but the unsold pilot Grill Me that aired on USA in 1996 was set a diner and had a menu of categories to pick questions from, with prices like 14.95, 16.95, etc.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Oh Canada trip
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2003, 12:43:52 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jul 16 2003, 08:32 AM\'] ObGameShow: Has there ever been a game show with a fast-food theme? [/quote]
 One might suggest we're gonna get close with Trivia Unwrapped, which FoodTV is starting to run promos for. (Sound but no video, so who knows if the sound is actually from a show or from Summers' demo reel. Sounds good,  tho!)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe