Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire to WABC  (Read 11119 times)

davemackey

Millionaire to WABC
« on: July 02, 2003, 12:33:48 PM »
\"Who Wants To Be A Millionaire\" is set to move to its old home, WABC, in New York City. The move would take effect upon the cancellation of \"Port Charles\" and the show will move into the 12:30 p.m. time slot.

Meredith Vieira's two shows are separated by Channel 7's noon Eyewitness News.

\"Millionaire\" had been on WCBS, but the time slot is being occupied in the fall with \"The People's Court\", moving over from Channel 4.

inturnaround

Millionaire to WABC
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 01:09:51 PM »
Hmm, I wonder if the same will happen with the Philadelphia ABC O&O WPVI. They'll have the hole left by PC's cancellation. Currently KYW (CBS) airs WWTBAM at 4PM before Pyramid. If it leaves, I wonder what will fill the hole.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Millionaire to WABC
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 01:52:30 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 12:09 PM\']Hmm, I wonder if the same will happen with the Philadelphia ABC O&O WPVI. They'll have the hole left by PC's cancellation. Currently KYW (CBS) airs WWTBAM at 4PM before Pyramid. If it leaves, I wonder what will fill the hole.[/quote]
Each O&O is different, so it's at their own discretion as to whether to pick up WWTBAM.  For the record, Chicago's WLS is not picking up the show--although it is moving this fall from CBS-owned WBBM to WGN (Chicago-area feed only, not the superstation)--meaning that not all ABC O&O's will be picking up the show (that doesn't mean that WPVI won't pick it up).

Is WPVI actually owned and operated by Disney/ABC or are they merely affiliated with the alphabet network?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

inturnaround

Millionaire to WABC
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 03:18:11 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 12:52 PM\'] Is WPVI actually owned and operated by Disney/ABC or are they merely affiliated with the alphabet network?
 [/quote]
 They are actually owned by ABC. They were formerly WFIL-TV, the birthplace of American Bandstand (nee Bandstand)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Radiofreewill

Millionaire to WABC
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 07:02:50 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 12:52 PM\']Is WPVI actually owned and operated by Disney/ABC or are they merely affiliated with the alphabet network?[/quote]
IIRC, WPVI was owned by Capital Cities and became an ABC O&O upon the parent company's acquisition of the network.

ChuckNet

Millionaire to WABC
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 12:19:27 PM »
\"Millionaire\" had been on WCBS, but the time slot is being occupied in the fall with \"The People's Court\", moving over from Channel 4.

...and by doing so, it now becomes one of the few series to air, at one point or another, on 5 of NY's 6 VHF stations.

ObGameShow: FF and Pyramid also hold this honor (FF airing on every station except WPIX [Ch. 11] and Pyramid on every one except WNYW [Ch. 5]), and both LMaD and TTTT hold the rare distinction of airing on all 6.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

dfmock

Millionaire to WABC
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 09:08:56 PM »
With \"Millionaire\" going back to WABC-TV, it'll be a nice little point of distinction for those of us Noo Yawkers: From 7 am to 4 p.m., all but two of the shows on the weekday schedule will actually be produced in New York -- the exception being Wayne Brady's talk-musicfest and \"General Hospital.\"

Considering the attrition of production here since i've been watching TV, you take what you can get.

Re the WPVI reference: Philly's Channel 6 is not only the birthplace of \"Bandstand,\" but of the \"Action News\" format -- and Al Hamm's thundering \"Move Closer To Your World\" theme music that has been part of it almost continuously since. (Stations like our own WPIX and New Haven's WTNH followed suit in the 1970s.)

From what I once read, WPVI tried to change the music a couple of years ago and there was so much bad feedback that Channel 6 reversed itself.

D

zachhoran

Millionaire to WABC
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 09:18:10 PM »
WPVI was slow to go from a stationary weather forecast map to a Chyroned one as I recall, slow to go to electronic graphics, and slow to let Jim Gardner take an early retirement LOL

DrBear

Millionaire to WABC
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 09:22:23 PM »
[quote name=\'dfmock\' date=\'Jul 7 2003, 08:08 PM\']
From what I once read, WPVI tried to change the music a couple of years ago and there was so much bad feedback that Channel 6 reversed itself.

D[/quote]
Taking this thunderously off topic...

They didn't really try to change the music, just the arrangement; a more orchestral version, a bit softer without the screaming chorus. As you noted, it flopped like a dead mackerel.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Brandon Brooks

Millionaire to WABC
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2003, 09:25:07 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 11:33 AM\'] "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" is set to move to its old home, WABC, in New York City. The move would take effect upon the cancellation of "Port Charles" and the show will move into the 12:30 p.m. time slot.
 [/quote]
 Why would such a successful show be relagated to such a mediocre spot beats me.

Brandon Brooks

ChuckNet

Millionaire to WABC
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2003, 10:40:25 PM »
Re the WPVI reference: Philly's Channel 6 is not only the birthplace of \"Bandstand,\" but of the \"Action News\" format -- and Al Hamm's thundering \"Move Closer To Your World\" theme music that has been part of it almost continuously since. (Stations like our own WPIX and New Haven's WTNH followed suit in the 1970s.)

One of the all-time best local news themes, IMO...although the same era's \"Streets of...\" from rival Philly station KYW (used during the mid-to-late 70s) was also a memorable one.

As it should be...and I might add that MCTYW was reinstated as the theme after a mere 3 days, so that must've been some strong feedback they recieved.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

davemackey

Millionaire to WABC
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2003, 12:14:01 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 12:09 PM\'] Hmm, I wonder if the same will happen with the Philadelphia ABC O&O WPVI. They'll have the hole left by PC's cancellation. Currently KYW (CBS) airs WWTBAM at 4PM before Pyramid. If it leaves, I wonder what will fill the hole. [/quote]
 To bring this back around to topic, yes, Millionaire is moving to Channel 6 in the fall, and will also be on at 12:30 p.m.

aaron sica

Millionaire to WABC
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2003, 06:47:11 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jul 7 2003, 11:14 PM\']
To bring this back around to topic, yes, Millionaire is moving to Channel 6 in the fall, and will also be on at 12:30 p.m. [/quote]
 Which of course means that still, for most of the broadcast day, except for local news, WPVI and WABC will have the exact same programming(barring any other daytime schedule changes, which I don't see happening)..

zachhoran

Millionaire to WABC
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2003, 09:49:35 AM »
Wonder what KYW will fill the 4PM EST hour with(assuming they didn't give up the rights to air Pyramid in Philly, and keep Pyramid at 4:30PM this Fall), as there's no other new half hour syndie game show. I would hope Pyramid doesn't end up in late night on KYW like Weakest Link has this year.
Is there any other half-hour non-game shows coming this Fall, anyway?

Millionaire moving to WPVI will be the first daily syndie game show other than WOF and J! that the station has aired since 1986(when they aired the first half-season of Rafferty Card Sharks)

Jimmy Owen

Millionaire to WABC
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2003, 11:32:47 AM »
I live in a market with an ABC O&O (Flint, MI) and they currently run Judge Judy and WWTBAM from 4-5.  Judy and Joe Brown run from 7-8.  My station could move either WWTBAM or the second Joe Brown (currently at 2:35a) into the 12:30pm slot and the other at 4:30pm.  Pyramid runs at 2:05am (it started the season at 4pm) but since it had its chance in daytime I don't think the station will schedule it at 12:30pm.  They have three talk shows Regis at 9, Wayne Brady at 10 (which could move to 4) and Caroline at 1:05am (Is that returning?)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.