Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Canadian Game Shows  (Read 7717 times)

vtown7

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2003, 09:53:23 AM »
It was similar to Wheel of Fortune except that it was played by two players and the players got to call two letters in each turn after spinning the wheel -- the first one of which he believed was not in the puzzle and the second one of whice he believed it was.

Is it possible you're thinking of \"Definition\", hosted by Jim Perry?  If so, there's no wheel involved.  Two teams of two (early on, celeb/civvie, later just two civvies) would try to solve a pun based puzzle.  The first member would have to give a letter to the other team, the second to take a letter for their team.  They would only get to take a letter if the given letter wasn't in the puzzle.

On the episode I have, the most brilliant puzzle:

CLUE: About the lifeguard...

(a bit of spoiler space)

ANSWER: HE HAD DEEP END ABILITY

(groan)

Cheers,

Ryan V.

mbclev

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2003, 02:49:17 PM »
One Canadian game show I remember was \"Celebrity Dominoes\", which aired on CTV from 1975-76.  On this show, players picked celebrities by choosing the star that had the appropriate domino number (the first pick had to be a double), then they heard a story, then they saw a scrambled word related to that story, then the players had to buzz in and solve the scrambled word to get points.  Whoever had the most points at the end of the game went on to the bonus round, where they had to answer 7 questions in 60 seconds to win.

The show's host was Paul Hanover, and singer Julie Amato was a regular panelist.  Julie went on to star in her own variety series on CTV from 1976-78.  She also did a couple of American TV commercials, but I have not seen her since an appearance on Alan Thicke's talk show in 1981.

(I live in the Cleveland area, and growing up, I sometimes could watch CFPL-TV out of London, Ontario, as well as CKCO-TV's Kitchener (channel 13) and Chatham (channel 42) signals, and I could sometimes watch Global TV's channels.  I could even sometimes get TV Ontario and CBC's French channel in Toronto.)

CliffColeclough

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2003, 04:33:10 PM »
Mad Dash still ranks as one of my favourites.

ChuckNet

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2003, 11:59:03 AM »
The show's host was Paul Hanover

...who also did the 1978 version of It's Your Move.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")