The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Canadian Game Shows

(1/4) > >>

vtown7:
Happy 136th birthday, Canada!

I'd like to celebrate on this board by having everyone chip in their memories of any Canadian game shows they've seen or heard about, if that's okay!

And I know there are some Canadian members on here besides myself, so share your memories too, eh?

Cheers,

Ryan V.

PeterMarshallFan:
I vaguely remember a show called \"Baloney\" that aired in the late 80's with Pat Bullard. IIRC, it was taped in a restaurant. Contestants were presented various statements and had to determine if they were facts, or baloney.

Jimmy Owen:
Well, I'm from Michigan so I did get to see whatever game shows CKLW (now CBET) Channel 9 in Windsor (near Detroit) happened to show. They were CBC with some CTV shows (but never \"Definition.\")  I strugged to fine tune my TV to catch a glimpse of Global or the Sarnia CTV repeater back in the mid-70s.  Shows that Channel 9 aired that I saw included \"Beat the Clock\" (Narz and Wood version), \"Eye Bet,\" \"This is the Law,\" \"Front Page Challenge\" (and \"Daytime Challenge\"), \"It's Your Choice,\" \"Music Game,\" \"Bluff,\" \"Beyond Reason,\" \"Talkabout\" and of course, \"Reach For the Top\" in local and the national finals  editions.  Have only seen it once, but CBET did carry \"Smart Ask\" as well.  CTV and Global seemed more exciting in the 70's, judging from the TV listings of the time.

Ian Wallis:
It's surprising that Windsor doesn't have a CTV station, isn't it?  I'm pretty sure that parts of Michigan can receive the CKCO repeater on Channel 42 out of Sarnia, although that didn't exist back in the '70s.

As for CTV's lineup, in the mid-70s it was chock full of game shows.  Stuff like \"Anything You Can Do\", \"He Knows, SHe Knows\", \"Definition\", \"Beat the Clock\", \"It's Your Move\", etc.  Some of those shows were pretty good...a couple had GREAT themes!

Too bad there are no Canadian game shows currently on the air...I'd love to be on one, and flying to LA or NY just to try out for one with no guarantee of getting on is a bit out of my price range!

Jimmy Owen:
I'll tell you two funny things about \"Eye Bet.\"  First, Jim Perry was blond.  Second, there was an incident where the game was over and it came time to award the grand prize.  You could see the gamut of emotions in the contestant's face (a schoolgirl) when the announcer said, \"You have just won A ROUND.....WATCH!\"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version