Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Combs Road set/Dawson 94 set  (Read 4606 times)

cmjb13

Combs Road set/Dawson 94 set
« on: July 01, 2003, 09:37:42 PM »
Since I haven't seen photos of this and the Combs Nashville Road shows haven't aired on GSN in years, I ask...

Was the \"new\" set for Dawson's return actually the road set used for the Nashville shows?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2003, 11:29:31 PM »
You know...I always wondered about this. The sets are so similiar...but I don't think its exactly the same.
insert signature here

HYHYBT

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 04:58:56 AM »
The parts that formed the outline of the regular set were either the same or too exactly matched to tell apart no matter how closely you watch. The family podia were redone to remove the middle hump and they got a different surface on the front. Also, the goldy trim was changed to yellow on the faceoff podium. The others too, actually. Fill in the glass blocks and add that red stuff on either side of the game board below the scores, and put it on the old floor (recarpeted in blue) and you've got it.

What I'd like to know is *why* they used it that way. Was getting a new set a last-minute decision and that was all they could come up with?

Then there's that picture of Richard Dawson in front of the Combs-era sign someone was discussing not too long ago. There's a similar one with Ray Combs in front of the old Dawson logo sign. The strange thing, to me, that nobody mentioned is that in both of these pictures the sign doesn't have the background flowers. Just the grid and lettering inside the oval. That's downright odd.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

cmjb13

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 06:22:08 AM »
Most people didn't like the revised Combs set for Dawson, but I thought it looked great.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

geno57

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 08:46:10 AM »
I never knew The Feud did a road series here in Nashville. When was it, and what was the venue?

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2003, 09:30:49 AM »
Opryland was the venue ,three weeks IIRC were taped, two weeks with C&W music stars including the Statler Brothers and Porter Wagoner, and one week with regular families from Nashville. The returning champions on the last Nashville show were flown to LA to continue their championship reign. Fall 1993 was the airdates, two weeks in September(season premiere as well), and one week aired in November 1993.

TonicBH

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2003, 05:50:01 PM »
Fall 1993 was the airdates, two weeks in September(season premiere as well), and one week aired in November 1993.

So this means GSN really won't get to it, since that's during the Syndie run (By Fall '93 it was \"Family Feud Challenge\" on CBS) and the Syndie Run hasn't been aired on the regular rotation in a while, save for marathons.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2003, 09:07:16 PM »
CBS Feud was axed by the time the Nashville shows aired in syndication. The last CBS airing of Feud was 9/10/93(the last first run CBS Feud aired about six months earlier), the first of the Nashville shows aired the following Monday in syndication(the sixth syndie season premiere)

HYHYBT

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 02:47:34 AM »
Are you sure there were three weeks total? I only saw one in the fall with Opry people, and one in the spring with regular, Nashville-area contestants.

(I just wish we'd visited Opryland on the way through Nashville, since it no longer exists)
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

zachhoran

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 08:23:53 AM »
I thought there were two weeks of Country Music stars from Nashville, but then I don't recall COmbs Feud TOO closely from that year.

Argo

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2003, 10:07:03 PM »
the only thing i didnt like about the Coombs set was the very shiney gold trim on the face-off podium, like the very shiney gold trim on the showcase podiums on TPIR, until a few years back when they took the shine out of it. Everything else was pretty cool. I found the flipper board a little more plain than the Dawson era, but still both sets where very good in their own way. Anyother thing i didnt like was the FF logo in the center of the carpet towards the end of stage.

Also, what do u think was the straw that led to the cancelation of Combs FF? I believe it started out just fine, Feud only updated, but when they added the Bullseye Round and went to an hour, that really killed it, well for me anyway. Why not just up the anty back then.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2003, 11:46:53 PM »
Also, what do u think was the straw that led to the cancelation of Combs FF? I believe it started out just fine, Feud only updated, but when they added the Bullseye Round and went to an hour, that really killed it, well for me anyway. Why not just up the anty back then.
You have to just understand that some game shows just won't last forever.  Many tire out and come back, and there are only three on right now that made the formula work continuously, and those should be easy to guess.  To be honest, I don't know how Jeopardy! still exists; its a good show, but really fundamentally nothing has changed in twenty years.  WOF and TPIR, both have had numerous changes through out the years, keeping it fresh.  (In WOF's case, I'm not arguing it's a good thing, just that it is what it is.)  But six years is a pretty damn good run for a game show, considering most game shows, and even sitcoms, have shorter lifespans.

Brandon Brooks