Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Don Bishop  (Read 4465 times)

whewfan

Don Bishop
« on: March 12, 2004, 04:12:44 PM »
As some of you may know, Don's first show aired today....

His announcing voice reminds me of Charlie Tuna, and his "Come On Downs" were slightly inconsistent, but he has the right amount of energy.

Also, it seems his cues were a little off too, as he seemed to be waiting for the item to be in view before reading his copy about the item, whereas Randy or Rod would've just kept going and not worry about the item not immediately being in view.

Overall, a pretty decent first show, but not decent enough to change my mind about Randy being the #1 man.  (Randy, when will it be your turn at the mike again?!)

Here is my announcer's scale, the best being at the top

Randy West
Art Sanders
Rich Fields/Don Bishop
Burton Richardson
Roger Rose
Daniel Rosen

So, I'd rank Don up there with Rich Fields.

Mario500

Don Bishop
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 04:39:59 PM »
Don put in a little too much energy in his "come on downs", making me go "what" at a couple of points and made me have a few good laughs. We'll see if he improves or not later on, even though I'm still partial to Randy and Art.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 10:51:49 PM by Mario500 »

Robair

Don Bishop
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 04:46:16 PM »
His vocal inflections and overall tone sounds a lot like another guy named Bishop: Jerry G., the LA deejay who announced "The Cross Wits" and filled in on "Dream House". Could they be related perhaps?

Jerry G., by the way, now works at WRLL in Chicago, spinning "real oldies" with the likes of Tommy Edwards, Scotty Brink and Larry Lujack.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 04:49:59 PM by Robair »
--Robair

Robert Hutchinson

Don Bishop
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 06:25:50 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 04:12 PM\']Also, it seems his cues were a little off too, as he seemed to be waiting for the item to be in view before reading his copy about the item, whereas Randy or Rod would've just kept going and not worry about the item not immediately being in view.[/quote]
That's a charitable take on it.

I'd say he was waiting for the heat death of the universe before reading his copy. Maybe even later than that re: the wine server cart.

And, to several recent announcers: yes, we understand that saying "Come on down! You're the next contestant on The Price Is Right" five times in an hour can be a little tedious, and that you want to keep the announcing of it fresh. But please, please, can you find some method other than "just had an ice cube dropped down my shirt"?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

JayC

Don Bishop
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 06:49:56 PM »
This guy was just bad today.  His intro was WAY too fast, he didn't put emphasis in Bob's name, he made pauses (long at times) when describing just about every prize (espically the pool table in the showcase), it didn't seem like he rehearsed or was looking at any lines, and he said "wine server cart" like it was a fancy car.  Judging by today's performance, he's worse than Rosen.

zachhoran

Don Bishop
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 07:14:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 04:46 PM\'] His vocal inflections and overall tone sounds a lot like another guy named Bishop: Jerry G., the LA deejay who announced "The Cross Wits" and filled in on "Dream House". Could they be related perhaps?

Jerry G., by the way, now works at WRLL in Chicago, spinning "real oldies" with the likes of Tommy Edwards, Scotty Brink and Larry Lujack. [/quote]
 Jerry also filled in as announcer for a week or two of CBS $25K Pyramid early in the run, and spent a few years announcing Judge Judy.

geno57

Don Bishop
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 10:55:38 PM »
When I was a teenager, Jerry G. Bishop hosted a Friday night horror movie on WFLD-TV, Channel 32 in Chicago, as "Svengoolie". Very funny guy.

I know he's doing a remotely voice-tracked radio show in Chicago now. He lives in San Diego, where he has a couple of restaurants. Didn't know he'd been announcing games and Judge Judy!

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
Don Bishop
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 11:54:37 PM »
With the way he read some prize copys, doesn't Don sound like your stereotypical INFORMERICAL commerical?

About next time he'd work for "Amazing Discoveries"'s Mike Leavy...lol

(Hmmm...where has Mike Leavy been lurking at?)
-Sanford

Steve Gavazzi

Don Bishop
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 01:37:00 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 06:49 PM\'] Judging by today's performance, he's worse than Rosen. [/quote]
 I realize you didn't like him, but calling him "worse than Rosen" is a huge stretch.  He wasn't that bad by any stretch of the imagination.

drmusic_99

Don Bishop
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 01:54:48 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 07:14 PM\'] Jerry also filled in as announcer for a week or two of CBS $25K Pyramid early in the run, and spent a few years announcing Judge Judy. [/quote]
 I could be wrong, and if I am, I'll eat a bug, but wasn't that the OTHER Jerry Bishop on Judge Judy?

ChuckNet

Don Bishop
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2004, 11:43:37 AM »
I realize you didn't like him, but calling him "worse than Rosen" is a huge stretch. He wasn't that bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Not by a longshot...I agree that Bishop's delivery needed work in some spots, but all things considered, he wasn't half bad.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Steve Gavazzi

Don Bishop
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2004, 09:54:40 PM »
For what it's worth, I loved the way Bishop said, "come on down."  I really want to like the guy just based on that...but he needs serious work on other things.

uncamark

Don Bishop
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 07:09:41 PM »
[quote name=\'drmusic_99\' date=\'Mar 13 2004, 01:54 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 07:14 PM\'] Jerry also filled in as announcer for a week or two of CBS $25K Pyramid early in the run, and spent a few years announcing Judge Judy. [/quote]
I could be wrong, and if I am, I'll eat a bug, but wasn't that the OTHER Jerry Bishop on Judge Judy?[/quote]
Yeah it was--not the Jerry G. Bishop who was Svengoolie and is voice-tracking for WRLL (he's actually in San Diego, where he works at the CC-owned adult standards station there).

Another quick credit--Jerry No-Middle-Initial Bishop was the original voice of the Disney Channel back when it was a premium channel that aired classic Disney.

And speaking of cable voices, guess Neal Ross is out of a gig now as of 10 p.m. ET tonight.

GS Warehouse

Don Bishop
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 09:05:10 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 15 2004, 07:09 PM\'] And speaking of cable voices, guess Neal Ross is out of a gig now as of 10 p.m. ET tonight. [/quote]
 Neil's still working on Food Network, isn't he?

uncamark

Don Bishop
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 09:30:35 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Mar 15 2004, 09:05 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 15 2004, 07:09 PM\'] And speaking of cable voices, guess Neal Ross is out of a gig now as of 10 p.m. ET tonight. [/quote]
Neil's still working on Food Network, isn't he?[/quote]
Haven't watched it lately.  Your guess is as good as mine.