Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's Tribute to Buddy Hackett  (Read 12500 times)

ilb4ever2000

GSN's Tribute to Buddy Hackett
« on: July 01, 2003, 07:02:10 PM »
This was just announced by an administrator at the GSN forums.

On the 4th, there will be a Hollywood Squares Mini-Marathon from 9 PM-12 AM Eastern with episodes featuring Mr. Hackett.

Then later, there's going to be a special Black & White Overnight tribute with these shows:

4:00 AM Password
Celebrities: B. Hackett, B. Palmer

4:30 AM What's My Line? (10/24/65)
Buddy is on the panel. Guests include Danny Kaye, Bette Davis, and Yves Saint Laurent.

5:00 AM I've Got a Secret (3/1/65)
Buddy is on the panel. Guests are Bette Davis & Olivia de Havilland. Johnny Olson appears on camera in an audience spot.

5:30 AM To Tell the Truth

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2003, 07:20:05 PM »
I'm not surprised that they could pull together an Overnight tribute so quickly, but scrapping their Saturday lineup at the (relatively) last minute for a HS marathon is a very nice touch.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 07:26:20 PM »
It IS a nice touch, but I'm sure viewership and ad sales are going to be down that night anyway (which might explain 4 B&W shows instead of 3).

(BTW, the 4th is on Friday)

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2003, 07:29:11 PM »
This and the full-day MG marathon sure beat the crap out of those G4 reject programs, that's for sure.

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2003, 08:18:13 PM »
If they really wanted to be brave in the overnight block, they could show the Steve ALlen IGAS episode from 1972 in which Hackett makes the panel's likenesses out of chopped liver.

I would assume the Friday(not Saturday) marathon of HS will be Marshall episodes already seen before on GSN, as well as possibly one or two from Hackett's H2 appearances.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2003, 08:24:36 PM »
BTW: the Squares marathon is actually a replacement that day for HS Fridays (Airing from 9 AM to 12 PM ET, according to the announcment on the GSN boards)

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2003, 01:12:52 AM »
BTW: the Squares marathon is actually a replacement that day for HS Fridays (Airing from 9 AM to 12 PM ET, according to the announcment on the GSN boards)

Must have read it wrong. That certainly makes more sense.

Ghastly_Gary

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2003, 07:42:30 AM »
The four shows were keepers.  The most interesting was the B&W daytime TTTT on videotape, not kinescope.  I did catch one daytime TTTT on kinescope.  I'm wondering when we will see more daytime TTTT installments on the B&WO schedule.  For those who can't tell the difference, the daytime TTTT has multiple sponsors who are mentioned by the announcer (Jack Clark) on the Hackett tribute show we just saw.  On the nighttime shows, there is one sponsor who is mentioned by Bud Collyer himself.  Of course, Bud's wrap up at the end of the show also tells us if we are watching a daytime or nighttime show.  I believe that several color daytime TTTT episodes are in the GSN library.  I recall seeing the Mark Goodson hosted shows and the final TTTT show with Bud Collyer hosting.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2003, 12:07:28 PM »
I should have taped that!  Wonder how many CBS daytime TTTT tapes are available?  From what I gather from my old TV Guides, TTTT went color in January of 67, so that ep was before that (unless it was decolorized).
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2003, 03:32:21 PM »
You can also tell it's a daytime ep by the 37 trillion commercial breaks