Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Some "new" GSN news...  (Read 5000 times)

gamed121683

jcompton

Some "new" GSN news...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 03:21:47 PM »
Just waiting to hear that they've secured the rights to develop a real version of The Running Man. Or at least that show where you climb a cash-filled rope to escape slavering dogs that was depicted in a commercial in the movie.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Some "new" GSN news...
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 08:36:55 PM »
[quote name=\'jcompton\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 01:21 PM\'] Just waiting to hear that they've secured the rights to develop a real version of The Running Man. Or at least that show where you climb a cash-filled rope to escape slavering dogs that was depicted in a commercial in the movie. [/quote]
 "Climbing For Dollars" can't be far off. After all, we've already seen "How Hot Can You Take It", or a variation thereof, which was mentioned in passing in the book version of "Running Man"... :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JMFabiano

Some "new" GSN news...
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 01:20:31 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 08:36 PM\'] [quote name=\'jcompton\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 01:21 PM\'] Just waiting to hear that they've secured the rights to develop a real version of The Running Man. Or at least that show where you climb a cash-filled rope to escape slavering dogs that was depicted in a commercial in the movie. [/quote]
"Climbing For Dollars" can't be far off. After all, we've already seen "How Hot Can You Take It", or a variation thereof, which was mentioned in passing in the book version of "Running Man"... :) [/quote]
 Speaking of which, this thread reminds me of what you, our cynical friend Mr. Lemon, said a while back.  Actually you quoted Chuck Barris talking about GSs some day evolving into real "life or death" contests, and I believe you said it wouldn't surprise you.  That said, given the direction some of us believe TV has gone into, how likely do you think a "real" Running Man would be?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

Some "new" GSN news...
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 05:25:23 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Mar 13 2004, 11:20 PM\']Actually you quoted Chuck Barris talking about GSs some day evolving into real "life or death" contests, and I believe you said it wouldn't surprise you.[/quote]
Quoted from that very same book, in fact.
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Mar 13 2004, 11:20 PM\'] That said, given the direction some of us believe TV has gone into, how likely do you think a "real" Running Man would be? [/quote]
I'll make it short and sweet.

I believe we will see a live execution on TV in our lifetime.

I do not believe it will be in the context of a game show. Which is not to say it won't happen. Just not in our lifetime. Things aren't that bad yet.

Now, put that idiot back in the White House for for more years, and ask me that question again. :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 05:28:32 AM by clemon79 »

BrandonFG

Some "new" GSN news...
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 02:10:01 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 14 2004, 05:25 AM\']I'll make it short and sweet.

I believe we will see a live execution on TV in our lifetime.[/quote]
I'm probably missing the point, but wasn't McVeigh's execution televised? I want to say Pay-Per-View offered to show it.
I do not believe it will be in the context of a game show. Which is not to say it won't happen. Just not in our lifetime. Things aren't that bad yet.

And to see how life imitates art, I saw "Married With Children" the other day, and it was the ep. where the Bundys pretend to be their neighbors and go on a game show to win a new washer/dryer. To win prizes, they had to basically physically torment their spouse. It's kind of eerie knowing that there are some shows VERY similar to that episode (Couples "Fear Factor" anyone?)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PeterMarshallFan

Some "new" GSN news...
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 07:57:28 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 09:36 PM\'] [quote name=\'jcompton\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 01:21 PM\'] Just waiting to hear that they've secured the rights to develop a real version of The Running Man. Or at least that show where you climb a cash-filled rope to escape slavering dogs that was depicted in a commercial in the movie. [/quote]
"Climbing For Dollars" can't be far off. After all, we've already seen "How Hot Can You Take It", or a variation thereof, which was mentioned in passing in the book version of "Running Man"... :) [/quote]
 Way off topic: I was in a music/video store today trying to find The Journey: The Best of Donna Summer CD (because....on the radio, oh-oh-oh-oh, on the radio....they don't play Summer too often here...on the radio....) and noticed that Running Man is out on DVD.

ObGameShow: In Running Man, the actor who portrayed Damon Killian was a somewhat well known game show host in real life.

whewfan

Some "new" GSN news...
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 08:02:48 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 14 2004, 02:10 PM\']
I'm probably missing the point, but wasn't McVeigh's execution televised? [/quote]
 No. They had cameras at the building, and shots of the room where Mc.Veigh was to be executed, but no actual footage of the execution itself.

clemon79

Some "new" GSN news...
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 08:57:36 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 05:57 PM\'] and noticed that Running Man is out on DVD.

ObGameShow: In Running Man, the actor who portrayed Damon Killian was a somewhat well known game show host in real life. [/quote]
 It's actually been out for some time (I've had it for a while), but today was the release day for the special up-your-bucket Special Deluxe Nifty Edition with commentary track and what-not. (No, I dunno if they talk to Dawson, but I'll prolly end up getting it, even though I bought it once already.)

HomieG1386

Some "new" GSN news...
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2004, 11:12:03 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 14 2004, 02:10 PM\']I'm probably missing the point, but wasn't McVeigh's execution televised? I want to say Pay-Per-View offered to show it.[/quote]
A few people wanted it to be televised (a la Pay-Per-View and internet streams), but the judge, I believe it was, said it wasn't gonna happen. There was a closed-circuit broadcast to some auditorium in, I think, Norman, OK, where a few select people (relatives of deceased, survivors, etc.) were allowed to watch the execution live.

How do I know this? I was unlucky enough to listen to this all day long when it happened, thanks to the Oklahoma City media coverage and our cable being out. What a day.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 11:12:34 AM by HomieG1386 »

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Some "new" GSN news...
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2004, 03:40:46 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 08:57 PM\'][quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 05:57 PM\'] and noticed that Running Man is out on DVD.

ObGameShow: In Running Man, the actor who portrayed Damon Killian was a somewhat well known game show host in real life. [/quote]
It's actually been out for some time (I've had it for a while), but today was the release day for the special up-your-bucket Special Deluxe Nifty Edition with commentary track and what-not. (No, I dunno if they talk to Dawson, but I'll prolly end up getting it, even though I bought it once already.)[/quote]

DeepDisountDVD.com has it for $10.63 shipped.  I got The 10th Kingdom from them for under $8 as a trial to see if what they send me comes in good condition.  If so, I'll probably buy more from them.

Those Canadians on here who are thinking about purchasing The Running Man, you might want to import.  Word is that your version is less than what you'd want it to be.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

GS Warehouse

Some "new" GSN news...
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2004, 12:03:43 AM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 07:57 PM\'] ObGameShow: In Running Man, the actor who portrayed Damon Killian was a somewhat well known game show host in real life. [/quote]
 ObGameShow2: Ah-nold was once a contestant on The Dating Game.  Hmm, Conan the Governator vs. the biggest game show host ego of all time (second-biggest if you count The Apprentice as a game show).