Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show false memories  (Read 55883 times)

BillCullen1

Re: Game show false memories
« Reply #210 on: August 03, 2023, 12:01:46 PM »
Here's one I just remembered. When Dawson did his last daytime MG, they showed Bob Barker in his seat on the following week of shows. I thought "Oh, Richard's taking a vacation." Yeah, turned out to be a permanent one.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #211 on: August 03, 2023, 02:02:40 PM »
Here's one I just remembered. When Dawson did his last daytime MG, they showed Bob Barker in his seat on the following week of shows. I thought "Oh, Richard's taking a vacation." Yeah, turned out to be a permanent one.

...But that's not a false memory.

RMF

« Reply #212 on: August 03, 2023, 02:48:20 PM »
On NBC's All-American Ultra Quiz, a number of people have said that one of the rounds was in Paris, but I definitely remember the question rounds being:

It's possible that people remember Paris because the prize for the winners in London might have been to have dinner in Paris en route to Rome. I definitely remember that the four winners in Rome ate at a fancy restaurant with Dan & Dick, while the two losers had to eat in the bowels of the Colosseum.

This remains my holy grail, as a huge Rowan/Martin fan....is this in existence anywhere? any clips? anything? I think one of the game show compilation shows from years ago showed a brief clip but that was it.

A bit late, I admit, but since this thread is up again:

There's a clip of gameplay at the following link, taken as part of a Tomorrow Show appearance by Rowan and Martin to promote this series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Pe6B50OxE&t=5m35s

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #213 on: August 04, 2023, 04:09:26 AM »
Well, since this thread is active again...

I could have sworn that on Press Your Luck, the giant logo in the middle of the board and the logo on the back of the contestant island lit up in sync with one another. But Buzzr is more than 500 episodes in, and they still don't match.

tyshaun1

« Reply #214 on: August 04, 2023, 07:50:55 AM »
Well, since this thread is active again...

I could have sworn that on Press Your Luck, the giant logo in the middle of the board and the logo on the back of the contestant island lit up in sync with one another. But Buzzr is more than 500 episodes in, and they still don't match.
Every now and then they'd be in sync, but it didn't seem to be a priority. I also used to think that the slides would shuffle out of sync on purpose because a contestant was doing too well. Save for Larson (where they clearly did it on purpose halfway through his run), that clearly wasn't the case.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #215 on: August 04, 2023, 11:51:57 AM »
I also used to think that the slides would shuffle out of sync on purpose because a contestant was doing too well. Save for Larson (where they clearly did it on purpose halfway through his run), that clearly wasn't the case.

Did they do it on purpose, or was the computer getting tired?

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #216 on: August 04, 2023, 12:00:12 PM »
I also used to think that the slides would shuffle out of sync on purpose because a contestant was doing too well. Save for Larson (where they clearly did it on purpose halfway through his run), that clearly wasn't the case.

Did they do it on purpose, or was the computer getting tired?

Positive it was a tired computer. Also, doing it on purpose wouldn’t have done a bit of good. They figured out right away that he had memorized the stopping point for just a couple of key squares, it’s not like he was going for every square on the board. Intentionally screwing up the synchronization would have accomplished exactly nothing, except getting Carruthers Company burned to the ground by S&P.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #217 on: August 04, 2023, 04:04:48 PM »
Positive it was a tired computer. Also, doing it on purpose wouldn’t have done a bit of good. They figured out right away that he had memorized the stopping point for just a couple of key squares, it’s not like he was going for every square on the board. Intentionally screwing up the synchronization would have accomplished exactly nothing, except getting Carruthers Company burned to the ground by S&P.

I've always been of the mind that whenever the board went out of sync, it was purely coincidental and not intentional.  There seemed to be two timing devices the squares were connected to - every other square was connected to the other timing device (if that wording makes sense).  Sometimes when the board stopped, the square it stopped on would stop the device for that set of squares but the other would sometimes change.  That could cause it to be out of sync for the next spin.  It would get more out of sync if this scenario repeated a few times.

I did notice that usually after a whammy it would be in sync again.  I guess the extra few seconds for the whammy animation allowed them the time to sync it up again.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TimK2003

« Reply #218 on: November 30, 2023, 07:52:19 PM »
There was a misconception when I was a kid that came to mind when watching old Barker episode of TPIR on YouTube:

I always thought the little "device" that Bob held in his hand during the Clock Game controlled everything from the price display to the starting and stopping the Clock. 

It took several years before I realized that it was a more elaborate "Password Word Wallet" that only showed the prices of the two prizes for Bob.