Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Bingable" game shows?  (Read 5218 times)

gamed121683

"Bingable" game shows?
« on: May 24, 2023, 05:33:08 PM »
Recently, I read a Facebook post about how with its "rotation of games giving it a perfect blend of consistency and variety" that The Price Is Right is a very "bingeable" show. This got me to thinking, besides Price, what other game shows would make for a great all-day binge?

I'll get the ball rolling and say Family Feud. There's something about the format of guessing survey results that's so darn fascinating. Especially if you're watching the old Dawson or Combs episodes just for the "time capsule" effect of what was on people's minds back in the '70s and '80s (might explain why Fremantle now has an around the clock channel of it). Maybe it's the simplicity of it all or watching the contestants occasionally giving off the wall answers (and the host's reaction to them), it's one game show I could watch episode after episode and not get tired of it.

SuperMatch93

Re: "Bingable" game shows?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 05:40:47 PM »
I agree with Dawson Feud, especially with long-running champs that Richard develops running jokes with.

In a similar vein, runs of champions on Sale of the Century are fun to binge as the stakes gradually increase. One Australian champ's full run from 1984 is on YouTube.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 05:41:16 PM »
Definitely agree on "Feud". It's a reason GSN shows it wall-to-wall during the evenings.

A few years ago, I found a few Kennedy episodes of Split Second and felt I could watch those over and over for a reason similar to William's. Watching a champion's run is very thrilling to watch.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Hastin

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 05:50:40 PM »
I've found thanks to the GSN reruns that Regis Millionaire is pretty bingable. Easy to watch a few hours on in the background or whatever - easy to determine the level by glancing. I think the older GSN Lingo was also very easy to binge as well. Back before YouTube pulled the episodes, was easy to watch for a few hours. Ditto for Sale, Feud. As for Price, I think the showdowns take up a lot of episode time, and you get lots of wheel spinning as part of a long binge. The varied showcases of the 70s and 80s do make it more interesting.

I have found the daily 1.5 hours of Jeopardy and Masters to test my limits on daily Jeopardy! consumption. I find it harder to binge because I want to pay attention too much.
-Hastin :)

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 06:28:34 PM »
Most of the UK game shows of recent, including Pointless, Tenable, and The 1% Club.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 09:13:01 PM »
I have wound up with an absolutely ludicrous amount of Wheel of Fortune from the 90s into the 2000s in my own personal library, and I have been blown away with how insanely bingeable this show is, and how well it fits any level of engagement to which I want to commit. Ambient background noise? It's fantastic. Actively paying attention? It's a fun time. Works on any level in between too. With just enough funny, interesting, or weird moments to hook.  Especially with long streaks of consecutive episodes. (I'm missing like twenty total between 1994 and 2003).

(Related yet tangent: This show absolutely should never have gotten rid of returning champions. It's most engaging contestants rival or outpace anything Jeopardy has ever cooked up while the enhanced luck factor means it's never as much of a lock as Jeopardy superchamps often are, so you wind up more interested in following them)

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 09:27:30 PM »
I'll add 2 more:

●  (The New) Treasure Hunt... The only consistant, redundant aspect of that show was Ameile saying "Yes I Did".  Otherwise, you couldn't really predict how they were going to award a prize or a Klunk to a contestant.

Also from the Barris files:

●  The Newlywed Game (pre 90's eras in particular). From either/or questions, multiple choice questions (whose order was always changed once the couples were together again), defining words within questions ("What do you dip your cruller in??), whoopee questions,..etc. 

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 09:53:30 PM »
My most recent binges from both digitizing VHS holdings of series' and catching up on digital content:
- Starcade: as a child of the 80s and a fan of Geoff's, binging the series was highly amusing yet comforting nostalgia
- The New Liar's Club: getting past the cheap prizes, it was a solid format with an entertaining regular panel that I'm glad bonusround.ca posted
- Cullen TPiR: really missing it on BUZZR Saturday mornings, I got as much joy from that block of 3 episodes as an adult as I did watching Saturday morning cartoons as a kid
- Go: Underappreciated series, each episode goes by so quickly. Not a perfect game, but KO was a solid emcee and it moved along at a good pace
- The New Treasure Hunt and Treasure Hunt '81: if I could acquire the whole series of the original, I would. Geoff was an ace in both versions and it's definitely my favorite Barris product

Nowadays: Recording Break the Bank from GameTV and watching the episodes back-to-back on Saturday or Sunday.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 10:03:54 PM by Blanquepage »

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 10:06:04 PM »
I'll add 2 more:

●  (The New) Treasure Hunt... The only consistant, redundant aspect of that show was Ameile saying "Yes I Did".  Otherwise, you couldn't really predict how they were going to award a prize or a Klunk to a contestant.
Good one. I’d add the original Gong Show.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Sodboy13

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 10:45:13 PM »
Thanks to the kindness of uploaders on this board, I have had to force myself to bed rather than fire up another episode of Temptation. American $OTC can scratch the same itch for me. A champion's run can suck you in, and the rapid fire questions get you engaged while the shopping segments offer enough moments for my brain to kind of reset before getting after it again.

In contrast, an hour of Jeopardy in a night is probably my cutoff.

Monty's LMAD is probably another binger for me. I love watching him work, and it's fascinating to me how the show so often works the same beats but manages to play them a little differently every time.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 11:01:59 PM »
Sodboy took two of my responses—and almost verbatim to how I would have responded.

I find $ale engaging with the various segments (Fame Game, etc.) creating a nice change of pace.
LMaD, especially the 80s runs are most interesting.  More specifically, the ‘84-‘86 run.  It’s exciting to see someone win a car, because it’s far less commonplace than TPiR. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 11:23:18 PM by Dbacksfan12 »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Ian Wallis

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2023, 11:49:19 AM »

- The New Treasure Hunt and Treasure Hunt '81: if I could acquire the whole series of the original, I would. Geoff was an ace in both versions and it's definitely my favorite Barris product

Nowadays: Recording Break the Bank from GameTV and watching the episodes back-to-back on Saturday or Sunday.

I'm with you on that one.  I think late '70s Dating Game might just be my favorite Barris show (at least it was when I was a kid), but I have a special fondness for The New Treasure Hunt.  It was aired Saturday nights at 7:30 in my area for most of its run.  The '80s version was never seen in my area, but when I saw episodes on GSN, I thought it just wasn't up to par with the 73-77 version.  Too bad GSN couldn't have run more of that version.

For me, I might add in Break the Bank and even Whew!, but part of that could be because they were rare shows until recently.  Maybe it's the excitement of the unearthing of a rare gem that would skew our "bingeable" lists.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2023, 11:55:54 AM »
Definitely agree on "Feud". It's a reason GSN shows it wall-to-wall during the evenings.

For me, I just can't get into Harvey's Feud enough to watch it for that long, but sometimes my wife turns on GSN and watches it for a couple of hours at a time.  I agree that GSN wouldn't be doing this if they weren't getting the ratings.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2023, 01:42:05 PM »
Buzzr showed me that there's at least 2 shows I can enjoy this way: Dawson Feud, on one-after-the-other late at night, is hard to put down. When Classic Concentration had a spot on weekends for hours at a time, we similarly couldn't change the channel. I think both shows succeeded in a space we're all talking about: there's a game, but there's enough natural extra-curricular conversation and jokes to keep you guessing at what will happen next. Classic Concentration has the added bonus of hoping to see somebody finally beat the car round with each additional 5 seconds added to the clock. I continue to be pleasantly surprised at how the puzzles and matching engage people who wouldn't normally hang in there for a game show.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Stackertosh

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2023, 06:45:10 AM »

For me, I just can't get into Harvey's Feud enough to watch it for that long, but sometimes my wife turns on GSN and watches it for a couple of hours at a time.  I agree that GSN wouldn't be doing this if they weren't getting the ratings.

I was in the doctors office yesterday and they have the best of Harvey Feud on a loop and they just play all the funny moments and biggest wins between Celebrity and Regular families. I never knew that was such a thing it was on one of those app channels. I can't get into Harvey feud also the sexual answers and Steve usual routine stopped being funny after the first season.