Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vegas's Tropicana Hotel to be demolished  (Read 7159 times)

Kevin Prather

Re: Vegas's Tropicana Hotel to be demolished
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2023, 02:25:24 PM »
/Fingers crossed for an NBA franchise in Vegas next…
Seattle’s getting the next team, count on it. Vegas is prolly next.

I don't follow the NBA, but weren't we supposed to get a team ten years ago, and the NBA nixed it? Or something like that?

BrandonFG

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2023, 02:59:55 PM »
The Sacramento Kings. The Maloof brothers - assholes that they are - first used Virginia Beach and then Seattle as leverage in order to get a new arena. I believe they’ve since sold the team and of course the Kings stayed in Cali.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Sodboy13

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2023, 04:04:31 PM »
The Sacramento Kings. The Maloof brothers - assholes that they are - first used Virginia Beach and then Seattle as leverage in order to get a new arena. I believe they’ve since sold the team and of course the Kings stayed in Cali.
They also attempted a sale to Anaheim that got scuttled last-minute.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2023, 09:38:47 PM »
Seattle’s getting the next team, count on it. Vegas is prolly next.

If Vegas wants cuts, that's fine. Really.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

calliaume

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2023, 10:22:17 AM »
There's a long article in this year's Baseball Prospectus (which I think is online, but it's behind a paywall) that explains neither Oakland nor Las Vegas wants to shell out the money for a new stadium for the Athletics under current ownership. They've undoubtedly seen what's happened in Pittsburgh and Miami, where cities paid for new stadiums under the assumption ownership would then go wild spending money to attract high-quality ballplayers to bring championships to those locales, only to discover the owners had no such intentions.

EDIT: Here it is.
https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/81465/as-fans-are-still-dreaming-of-the-end-of-moneyball/

There's also been a strengthening movement among taxpayers in the last decade to vote "no" on any public funding for sports stadiums in general. When the decision is made by local governments or the legislature (Tennessee's new NFL stadium) they're still going through, but left to the voters the word is no fairly often - it's entirely possible that the Coyotes are about to lose a vote for a new NHL stadium in Tempe. (which would likely cost the market the team)
I surely hope so. Over the last three days, the Chicago Bears, who have been assumed to be headed toward the suburb Arlington Heights for over a year, have seemingly pivoted (after being told the tax assessment on the property they want has dramatically increased) toward Naperville -- which is where I live. (Although I live a 20-minute drive from the property presumed to be in question, I don't know anybody that particularly wants the Bears here.)

https://www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/the-chicago-bears-battle-over-arlington-heights-property-taxes-explained/3154133/

Sodboy13

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2023, 10:33:11 AM »
It is hilarious that the Bears think they've uncovered some great leverage by paying $200 million for land in one suburb, then saying they'll buy land in a different suburb and build a stadium there if the tax environment proves more favorable. As if no one who lives in the seven-county area is wholly familiar with how the Bears spend money.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BrandonFG

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2024, 07:34:29 PM »
So it appears Vegas's mayor isn't exactly all-in on the A's moving to Sin City, at least not on the Strip.

“I’ve lived in this town this year 60 years, and so I know the town like the back of my hand,” Goodman said of Las Vegas. “I personally think they’ve got to figure out a way to stay in Oakland and make their dream come true.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/las-vegas-mayor-on-as-planned-relocation-to-desert-theyve-got-to-figure-out-a-way-to-stay-in-oakland-002242471.html
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2024, 10:36:27 PM »
The Strip isn’t in Las Vegas proper, so she doesn’t get much benefit from the team moving.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2024, 11:55:46 PM »
The Strip isn’t in Las Vegas proper, so she doesn’t get much benefit from the team moving.
Actually, Paradise NV, where the Strip is located, is governed by the Clark County Commission, which means some of that revenue is making its way back to Las Vegas proper. Even if she didn't get any benefit, a good number of her constituents work on the strip. If she's hearing grumblings about this stadium from them, she could curry favor by making a comment like this. 
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2024, 02:06:00 AM »
It is hilarious that the Bears think they've uncovered some great leverage by paying $200 million for land in one suburb, then saying they'll buy land in a different suburb and build a stadium there if the tax environment proves more favorable. As if no one who lives in the seven-county area is wholly familiar with how the Bears spend money.

The same team that lived and died by the "run and shoop" offense...nevermind the smoke of moving to Comiskey.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2024, 02:10:07 AM »
There's a long article in this year's Baseball Prospectus (which I think is online, but it's behind a paywall) that explains neither Oakland nor Las Vegas wants to shell out the money for a new stadium for the Athletics under current ownership. They've undoubtedly seen what's happened in Pittsburgh and Miami, where cities paid for new stadiums under the assumption ownership would then go wild spending money to attract high-quality ballplayers to bring championships to those locales, only to discover the owners had no such intentions.

EDIT: Here it is.
https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/81465/as-fans-are-still-dreaming-of-the-end-of-moneyball/

As incompetent in governance that Oakland is/has, what they got right was to accommodate Howard Terminal as the optimal option and Fisher led them on. The whole charade is not the city (or Alameda County's for that matter) fault.