Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vegas's Tropicana Hotel to be demolished  (Read 6844 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Vegas's Tropicana Hotel to be demolished
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2023, 12:13:45 AM »
The Oakland A's are definitely moving to Toronto.
The Oakland A's are definitely moving to Chicago.
The Oakland A's are definitely moving to Denver.
The Oakland A's are definitely moving to San Jose.
The Oakland A's are definitely moving to Fremont.
The Oakland A's are definitely staying in Oakland and getting a new ballpark.
The Oakland A's are definitely staying in Oakland and getting a new ballpark, no not that one, different spot this time.

You got Fremont and San Jose backwards. First was the version of Cisco Field in Fremont (but not along the BART line, no, that would have made too much sense!), then was the South Bay version on a postage-stamp sized parcel of land a few blocks down from SAP Center that never had a prayer because no way no how were the Giants going to cede their territorial rights.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Sodboy13

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2023, 01:09:56 AM »
Unlike Oakland Athletics ownership, I regret the error.

(The "Charlie Finley hates Oakland and his team" era is nuts to the point of being incomprehensible in the modern game and business of baseball. He proposed moving the A's to Comiskey at one point in exchange for the White Sox skipping out to Seattle. While his players were winning multiple World Series.)
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

calliaume

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2023, 09:55:30 AM »
There's a long article in this year's Baseball Prospectus (which I think is online, but it's behind a paywall) that explains neither Oakland nor Las Vegas wants to shell out the money for a new stadium for the Athletics under current ownership. They've undoubtedly seen what's happened in Pittsburgh and Miami, where cities paid for new stadiums under the assumption ownership would then go wild spending money to attract high-quality ballplayers to bring championships to those locales, only to discover the owners had no such intentions.

EDIT: Here it is.
https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/81465/as-fans-are-still-dreaming-of-the-end-of-moneyball/
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 02:50:37 PM by calliaume »

Stackertosh

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2023, 04:08:15 PM »

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2023, 05:02:17 PM »
There's a long article in this year's Baseball Prospectus (which I think is online, but it's behind a paywall) that explains neither Oakland nor Las Vegas wants to shell out the money for a new stadium for the Athletics under current ownership. They've undoubtedly seen what's happened in Pittsburgh and Miami, where cities paid for new stadiums under the assumption ownership would then go wild spending money to attract high-quality ballplayers to bring championships to those locales, only to discover the owners had no such intentions.

EDIT: Here it is.
https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/81465/as-fans-are-still-dreaming-of-the-end-of-moneyball/

There's also been a strengthening movement among taxpayers in the last decade to vote "no" on any public funding for sports stadiums in general. When the decision is made by local governments or the legislature (Tennessee's new NFL stadium) they're still going through, but left to the voters the word is no fairly often - it's entirely possible that the Coyotes are about to lose a vote for a new NHL stadium in Tempe. (which would likely cost the market the team)

clemon79

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2023, 05:11:18 PM »
it's entirely possible that the Coyotes are about to lose a vote for a new NHL stadium in Tempe. (which would likely cost the market the team)

No it won't. Bettman will burn in hell before he admits Arizona was a failure, even though he's gotten what he ultimately wanted out of that whole debacle.

I'd say good on the locals for calling the team's bluff.

Sodboy13

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2023, 05:14:15 PM »
it's entirely possible that the Coyotes are about to lose a vote for a new NHL stadium in Tempe. (which would likely cost the market the team)

I have been following the tragicomic saga of the Coyotes for about 15 godforskaen years now, and I am telling you that if a meteor came down and wiped out the entirety of the state of Arizona, Gary Bettman would find a way to put a rink for the Coyotes in that smoldering hole.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2023, 05:14:38 PM »

No it won't. Bettman will burn in hell

This feels decidedly win-win.

clemon79

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2023, 05:16:01 PM »

You're not wrong, but ultimately the Coyotes would still be in Arizona.

vtown7

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2023, 08:27:11 PM »

No it won't. Bettman will burn in hell

I'm just pulling for a Leafs-Oilers Stanley Cup final to see Bettman's wonderful reaction of two Canadian teams of which only one is a "large" market...

Sodboy13

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2023, 01:33:56 AM »
TNT has the rights to the Final this year, and if it's Edmonton-Florida that series is getting dumped onto HBO Max in a subfolder of 90 Day Fiancee.

clemon79

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2023, 01:13:10 PM »
I'm just pulling for a Leafs-Oilers Stanley Cup final to see Bettman's wonderful reaction of two Canadian teams of which only one is a "large" market...

Except in this bizarro universe, you get the Panthers and Golden Showers, and Bettman be like:

dazztardly

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2023, 10:41:55 PM »
Monopoly Millionaires' Club taped inside a tent setup at The Rio for its first season. Then later moved into its own custom-built soundstage next to Bally's for it's second season.

-Dan

johnnya2k3

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2023, 11:56:06 PM »
Monopoly Millionaires' Club taped inside a tent setup at The Rio for its first season. Then later moved into its own custom-built soundstage next to Bally's for it's second season.

-Dan
While the Venetian Hotel (home of that other multi-state lottery game show, Powerball Instant Millionaire) is still there as well.

/Fingers crossed for an NBA franchise in Vegas next…

BrandonFG

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2023, 01:04:50 AM »
/Fingers crossed for an NBA franchise in Vegas next…
Seattle’s getting the next team, count on it. Vegas is prolly next.

/Would love to see the Virginia Squires return
//Wonder if Silver would be open to 34 or 36 teams instead of 32?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!