Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 3/13 Blockbusters on GSN  (Read 10333 times)

Don Howard

3/13 Blockbusters on GSN
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2004, 04:10:36 AM »
[quote name=\'jcompton\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 03:17 PM\'] I'm not arguing for a National Blockbusters Observance Day [/quote]
 Oh, let's have one of those. Truly. Let's do. Oct 27, 2005--the 25th anniversary of
the premiere. That's a Thursday. Bob Hilton can be the guest of honor. Save the date.

CaseyAbell

3/13 Blockbusters on GSN
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2004, 08:53:50 AM »
You know, I can't possibly be the only one sick of hearing you constantly whining about your "cynical definition of a classic." Stop trying to police other people's likes and dislikes.
You seem to be the policeman around here. My idea is: I give my opinions, you give your opinions. Let's stop saying that either of us is "pure and utter bull" or that we're "sick of hearing" either set of opinions. It's the least constructive kind of debate that I can imagine.

Your list mostly contained shows that aren't on GSN right now. So, yes, it did tend to confirm the cynical definition. Why can't I point out that fact?

Also, you must have missed the vertical pronoun in my opinion of Cram vs. Bullseye. I made it very clear that I was giving my own opinion and not speaking for anybody else except little old me. I give my opinions, you give your opinions. The opinions differ. Live and let live.

No, it's an imperfect measure because it's NOT A DETERMINATION OF QUALITY. It was a poll asking people what shows they would like to see in a marathon. "What shows I would like to watch on a one-shot basis" and "what shows are my favorites" are two distinct different lists.
Good point, but I think people tend to merge the two lists in their voting. I know I did. After all, I don't really want to watch shows that aren't favorites of mine on a one-shot or an any-shot basis. It IS called a Feast of Favorites, not a Feast Of Shows You Want To See On A One-Shot Basis.

And yes, I know the metric is imperfect for the reasons I gave in my original post. But it's still interesting that the two top shows in syndication didn't make the top twelve.

Sure, those shows are on "five days a week pretty much continuously." But most of the shows that made the Twelve were on all the time on GSN, too. Millionaire, Lingo and Match Game all made it, and they were on so often in prime time that not much of anything else was on.

No, I think Jeopardy and WoF just don't have the same cachet for game show freaks (or scholars) as lesser-known shows that have long been off the air, or are only available on GSN. Of the twelve in this year's Feast, only two - Feud and Millionaire - were available anywhere except GSN. Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune,  Pyramid and Hollywood Squares all missed.

In fact, you seem to be edging close to this opinion when you point out that Jeopardy and WoF have been in syndication continuously for twenty years. By now they really are everybody's property.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 10:00:14 AM by CaseyAbell »

melman1

3/13 Blockbusters on GSN
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2004, 11:17:10 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Mar 11 2004, 06:53 AM\'] You seem to be the policeman around here. My idea is: I give my opinions, you give your opinions. [/quote]
 No, your idea seems to be to imagine that your opinions are going to anger a mysterious class of people called "traditionalists", and to drop hints here about your posts on GSN, and vice versa.  And if anyone calls you on that, to go into a "you're the policeman; who are you to criticize me" defense.

It's old and it's tired.  State your position and stop there.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

CaseyAbell

3/13 Blockbusters on GSN
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2004, 11:21:36 AM »
It's old and it's tired. State your position and stop there.
Truth to tell, you've posted this same complaint about me on this board and the GSN board four times in the last two days, and several times before.

I'll try to take your advice. Maybe you should do the same.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 11:24:58 AM by CaseyAbell »

David Lawrence

3/13 Blockbusters on GSN
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2004, 11:38:59 AM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 06:01 PM\']People are entitled to their own tastes.  Hell, I like "The Name's The Same".

Don't tell anybody.[/quote]
I knew I couldn't be the only one who liked NTS.

melman1

3/13 Blockbusters on GSN
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2004, 11:46:02 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Mar 11 2004, 09:21 AM\'] Maybe you should do the same. [/quote]
 Should do the same... what?

And please notice, I'm not the only one pointing this out.  Not by a long shot.

CaseyAbell

3/13 Blockbusters on GSN
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2004, 12:23:52 PM »
Should take the same advice you offered me and avoid "old and stale" comments...such as your attacks on me over GSN's new programming direction.

For anybody who's interested, this whole discussion is continuing on the GSN Originals and In General boards. I'm trying to keep it as non-old and non-stale as I can.

Jimmy Owen

3/13 Blockbusters on GSN
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2004, 12:24:37 PM »
[quote name=\'David Lawrence\' date=\'Mar 11 2004, 11:38 AM\'] [quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 06:01 PM\']People are entitled to their own tastes.  Hell, I like "The Name's The Same".

Don't tell anybody.[/quote]
I knew I couldn't be the only one who liked NTS. [/quote]
 I even liked it with Bob and Ray.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

CaseyAbell

3/13 Blockbusters on GSN
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2004, 01:06:51 PM »
I can remember The Name's The Same from its days on GSN's B&W block. Robert Q. Lewis had an off-beat sense of humor that kept the game lively enough. Gene Rayburn, looking like he was just past puberty, would show up now and then on the panel and generate chuckles.

The same-name gimmick did get a little old, so I can see why the show didn't make it past its fourth year. But it was good for some laughs.

melman1

3/13 Blockbusters on GSN
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2004, 02:20:22 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Mar 11 2004, 10:23 AM\']
Should take the same advice you offered me and avoid "old and stale" comments...such as your attacks on me over GSN's new programming direction.

For anybody who's interested, this whole discussion is continuing on the GSN Originals and In General boards. I'm trying to keep it as non-old and non-stale as I can. [/quote]
 This is unbelievable.  Please stop bringing references to GSN's boards in here.  I've been smacked down for it before, myself.

I have not made any "attacks on [you] over GSN's new programming direction".  I am just one of several that wish you'd drop the pretense of needing to spread the word about how you're battling the traditionalists, or even that a "traditionalist" group-think exists.  There's a broad spectrum of likes and dislikes.

CaseyAbell

3/13 Blockbusters on GSN
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2004, 02:22:59 PM »
Fair enough, no reason to continue here.

mctoyboy

3/13 Blockbusters on GSN
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2004, 02:36:11 PM »
Anyways.....next Saturday is a good day for the people who like Blockbusters and the people who want to watch Blockbusters =)
j

David Lawrence

3/13 Blockbusters on GSN
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2004, 03:06:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 11 2004, 12:24 PM\']I even liked it with Bob and Ray.[/quote]
I've only seen RQL-hosted episodes.
I don't rank NTS up there with WML or IGAS, but it's a nice little show. Lewis is a good moderator, occasional panel appearances from "youngsters" like Rayburn & Cullen are fun, and the idea of panelists handing out checks to contestants is certainly unusual.

As far as the Blockbusters vs. Lingo debate, I enjoy both shows a great deal; but the presence of Cullen and that great theme give BB the edge when ranking my own Top 20.

melman1

3/13 Blockbusters on GSN
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2004, 06:44:43 PM »
[quote name=\'mctoyboy\' date=\'Mar 11 2004, 12:36 PM\'] Anyways.....next Saturday is a good day for the people who like Blockbusters and the people who want to watch Blockbusters =)
j [/quote]
 I've heard that, yes.  To continue, does anyone know what happened to Liz after she graduated from (as Cullen said) the "University of Harvard"?

Tim L

3/13 Blockbusters on GSN
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2004, 08:56:16 PM »
I myself would love to see a Bob and Ray Hosted NTS. I love their humor and I heard it didn't translate well to television.

Tim Lones