Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire: Where would you place this question?  (Read 3987 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Re: Millionaire: Where would you place this question?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2023, 05:25:23 PM »
An even tougher question would ask on what day of the week was JFK's funeral.

I was 8 years old at the time (you do the math) and we were glued to the TV that entire weekend. I was watching NBC when Jack Ruby pumped a bullet into Oswald's abdomen live on national TV. The reporter was Tom Pettit. Then JFK's casket laid in state in the Capitol rotunda like forever, then there was a funeral procession which also took forever, all covered live on national TV.

Airchecks of the networks' live coverage can be found on YouTube, as well as the local Dallas station's coverage. They are all definitely worth watching.

AFAIK the first bulletin was read on the air by none other than Don Pardo who was on his shift at NBC at the time.

More OB game shows: the real mystery attached to the JFK assassination is the fate of Dorothy Kilgallen, who was covering the trial of Jack Ruby when she died. Somebody felt Dorothy had to be silenced. It's quite a coincidence that John Daly's father in law was Chief Justice Earl Warren of the Warren Commission. I'm sure Daly, who saw Dorothy every Sunday night, kept his father in law well informed about Dorothy's activities. Dorothy's homicide was never fully investigated.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2023, 01:39:13 PM »
It's quite a coincidence that John Daly's father in law was Chief Justice Earl Warren of the Warren Commission. I'm sure Daly, who saw Dorothy every Sunday night, kept his father in law well informed about Dorothy's activities. Dorothy's homicide was never fully investigated.

I do seem to remember reading that Daly and Kilgallen had a falling out over her investigations, seeing how she was openly challenging the Warren Commission's findings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2023, 10:57:25 AM »
I do seem to remember reading that Daly and Kilgallen had a falling out over her investigations, seeing how she was openly challenging the Warren Commission's findings.

Did you read that in Gil's book?

ISTR Gil mentioned something about two WML? principals not speaking to each other except to play the game, but I forget the details. I haven't read through his book since 1978.

Had the Warren report been released when Dorothy died? I'm a bit fuzzy on the chronology.

nowhammies10

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2023, 02:03:56 PM »
The Warren Commission's report was first released to the public on September 27, 1964, having been presented to LBJ three days earlier. Kilgallen was found dead over a year later, November 8/65.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2023, 02:08:51 PM »
ISTR Gil mentioned something about two WML? principals not speaking to each other except to play the game, but I forget the details. I haven't read through his book since 1978.

John stopped speaking to Dorothy for a period (other than to play the game) after he discovered that she was reporting their backstage chit-chat in her column.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2023, 02:25:53 PM »
Indeed a great many eerie parallels with Lincoln and Kennedy.  One that's seldom mentioned is they both died on a Friday before a major holiday.  In President Lincoln's case it was Easter Sunday, and with President Kennedy it was 6 days before Thanksgiving.

And then there's the whole thing about Lincoln spending a good amount of time in Monroe, Maryland...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2023, 02:45:15 PM »

I haven't read his book, but whoever I read that from probably did.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2023, 08:23:44 PM »
Gil's book is a fascinating and worthwhile read. Try to get a copy.

thomas_meighan

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2023, 07:05:40 PM »

John stopped speaking to Dorothy for a period (other than to play the game) after he discovered that she was reporting their backstage chit-chat in her column.

There was also a 1957 incident when Daly kiboshed Mike Wallace as a mystery guest. (Daly was head of ABC News at the time and objected to Wallace being hired for a new interview show. In particular, Wallace’s interview with crime figure Mickey Cohen the prior week had resulted in the airing of possibly libelous statements about the LA chief of police.) Anyway, Daly threatened to no-show, and Sammy Davis Jr. was substituted. Daly probably regarded the whole thing as a private backstage matter, but the next day’s Journal-American carried a front-page item about the mystery guest swap. I think Fates said there was no byline, but it didn’t take much guesswork to determine who might’ve written it, and Daly avoided speaking to Kilgallen for several weeks, other than gameplay.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2023, 08:14:07 PM »

There was also a 1957 incident when Daly kiboshed Mike Wallace as a mystery guest. (Daly was head of ABC News at the time and objected to Wallace being hired for a new interview show. In particular, Wallace’s interview with crime figure Mickey Cohen the prior week had resulted in the airing of possibly libelous statements about the LA chief of police.) Anyway, Daly threatened to no-show, and Sammy Davis Jr. was substituted. Daly probably regarded the whole thing as a private backstage matter, but the next day’s Journal-American carried a front-page item about the mystery guest swap. I think Fates said there was no byline, but it didn’t take much guesswork to determine who might’ve written it, and Daly avoided speaking to Kilgallen for several weeks, other than gameplay.

IIRC, Bennett Cerf also relayed similar details in an audio interview he did in the late 60s. It taught John and the rest of the panel a valuable lesson and, presumably, changed how relaxed they'd be in her presence.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2023, 09:53:38 PM »

I haven't read his book, but whoever I read that from probably did.

There is nothing about the JFK thing in Fates' book.   He simply said that John stopped speaking to her for a year outside the program because of the flap over her reporting Daly's blacklisting Mike Wallace from being a Mystery Guest in 1957.   

Be wary of much that is written about Dorothy and the JFK investigation because a lot of it has been written by sensationalist seeking opportunists aided by some truly weird people.    I think Matt and a few others might remember from the atgs days a wacko named David Henschel who frequently trolled the place.      He was the ultimate weirdo regarding the whole Kilgallen-JFK think (even though in one of the days when he was sane he was the one who first got a copy of the tribute program with ads from the archives back in the mid-90s).

SuperMatch93

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2023, 09:54:40 PM »
Be wary of much that is written about Dorothy and the JFK investigation because a lot of it has been written by sensationalist seeking opportunists aided by some truly weird people.    I think Matt and a few others might remember from the atgs days a wacko named David Henschel who frequently trolled the place.      He was the ultimate weirdo regarding the whole Kilgallen-JFK think (even though in one of the days when he was sane he was the one who first got a copy of the tribute program with ads from the archives back in the mid-90s).

Is that the guy whose alter ego was "Lisa Pease" or am I thinking of someone else?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Eric Paddon

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2023, 10:23:37 PM »
That's the one.    That was one of many fake ID's he took over the years.   He even stole my name when trolling at other boards in a deliberate attempt to make me look like a crazy person when it was just him pretending to be me acting crazy on purpose.      He even posted spam book reviews on Amazon stealing my mother's name.