Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show hosts you've met  (Read 8923 times)

narzo

Re: Game show hosts you've met
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2023, 06:45:06 PM »
Chuck Woolery, who couldn't have been a nicer guy.  I was still in Minneapolis working for ShopNBC and he was a guest on the show before mine.  As a watch guy, the first thing I had to do was ask him about his Rolex (which he was wearing) and honestly didn't really chat about his game show career much.  My producer asked him about the whole "two and two" thing and he told the story about it's creation and evolution, a story I'm sure he's said a million times, but told it as if he was telling it for the first time. He really couldn't have been nicer.

Mark DeCarlo, and I've told the story before, because he never had a recording of his Sale appearances and I did.  We connected through youtube and began a friendship.  When he was in Minneapolis for work I set him up with some appearances on local TV to plug his book, and we met up very briefly at a film shoot he was on.  He wanted to meet for dinner but I, being the person who never should have been living in a cold climate to begin with, politely declined because it was negative 10 degrees or something. 

Was friends with Ron Maestri for a while, and we'll leave it at that. 

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2023, 12:20:40 PM »
Lots and lots (also including notable celebrity players and production people here):

At Congresses:

Peter Marshall
Wink Martindale
Geoff Edwards
Tom Kennedy
Jack Narz
Betty White
Rose Marie
Monty Hall
Betsy Palmer
Todd Newton
Elayne Boosler
Burton Richardson
Larry Anderson
Charlie O'Donnell
Johnny Gilbert
Bob Boden
Jimmy Pardo
Don Pardo
Harry Friedman
Thom McKee
Ruth Horowitz (tough not to include either Thom or Ruth, considering the tremendous runs they had as contestants)
Ron Greenberg
Sarah Purcell
Scott Sternberg
Norm Blumenthal
Buddy Piper
Al Howard
Barbara Feldon
Pat Carroll
Shelley Berman
Rich Fields

At What's My Line-Live

Frank Nicotero
Bil Dwyer
Teresa Ganzel
J. Keith Van Stratten
Andy Zax
Paul Boland

Spoke to at taping, but didn't press flesh:

Bob Barker
Alex Trebek

At celebrity autograph shows:

Marcia Wallace
Judy Norton-Taylor
Patricia Kara (DoND model #9) (you might have noticed my avatar with her)

At book signings:

Chuck Barris
Ken Jennings
Regis Philbin
Bob Saget
John O'Hurley

Hugged by:

John Davidson (long story)

At Zanies Comedy Club:

Kevin Pollak
Drew Carey
Ben Gleib
Graham Elwood
Gilbert Gottfried (YOU FOOL!)

Following a performance:

Colin Quinn
Jane Lynch
Penn Gillette (co-conspirator of "you fool"; also met Teller while we're at it)
Rob Lowe

At Chicago Live (a taping of a live radio show produced by the Chicago Tribune and WGN Radio in conjunction with the Second City):

Mark DeCarlo

And in 2011 I went to a Letterman taping, where I met Alan Kalter.

So, not that many.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

JMFabiano

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2023, 01:35:04 PM »
Stretching but tonight I may add Bob Bergen and Carnie Wilson.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2023, 12:52:35 AM »
I regaled Merv Griffin with a story about Mark Goodson and we reminisced about Play Your Hunch prior to his first appearance on Larry King Live. Afterwards he said to me, "you made it so easy". That meant a lot coming from him. He was totally charming and smoked like a chimney, but I've heard he was not so charming if you worked for him.

Vanna White was on LKL to promote an upcoming TV movie. Totally sweet and charming.

I suppose Mark Goodson counts as an emcee.

I have stories about Allen Ludden.

KrisW73

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2023, 09:54:30 AM »

What was Patricia like? I was Facebook friends and had a few conversations with Leyla Milani (lucky 13) and she was really nice.

cmjb13

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2023, 10:35:20 AM »
Met at Price is Right Live
Marc Summers
Mark Walberg
JD Roberto
David Ruprecht
Joey Fatone
Jerry Springer
Todd Newton
Roger Lodge

Met at Family Feud Live
Michael Burger

Met at Hollywood Squares
Peter Marshall
Tom Bergeron
Bob Eubanks
Wink Martindale

Met at Family Feud
Richard Karn -passed by in Hallway
John O'Hurley - was on catering buffet line with him

Met at Price is Right
Bob Barker
Drew Carey
Rich Fields
Burton Richardson
Rod Roddy

Met at Wheel of Fortune
Vanna White (in catering)

Met at CBS TVC
Doug Davidson
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

SRIV94

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2023, 01:11:24 PM »

What was Patricia like? I was Facebook friends and had a few conversations with Leyla Milani (lucky 13) and she was really nice.

Very sweet.  Liked her a lot.
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SRIV94

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2023, 01:13:15 PM »
I may add Bob Bergen
Took a workshop with him, so that would count for me too.
Doug

TimK2003

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2023, 04:42:51 PM »

Very sweet.  Liked her a lot.

When DoND first premiered, I had thought that was Crystal Owen from Wink's High Rollers, until Howie mentioned her name.

RobertSearcy

• Executive Producer
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2023, 09:57:22 PM »
I met Bob Barker at a couple of TPIR tapings in 2007 & met Marc Summers in 2003 at a Get Schooled Tour event in Kennesaw, GA.

While seeing TPIR & Bob in person was fun, it truly was a blast meeting Marc Summers.  I even won a shirt stumping him on a question about Press Your Luck's predecessor, Second Chance.  He didn't believe me & this was before the proliferation of YouTube & folks uploading shows there but gave me the shirt anyway.  I've been trying for a while now to find pictures from that event to no avail (was on old school film camera).
"If everyone played Stud 8, it wouldn't matter who's in the White House because this would be one happy country!" -- Norman Chad during the 2007 World Series of Poker $50K HORSE event

Neumms

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2023, 10:31:07 AM »
I have stories about Allen Ludden.

But will you share them?

Up above I was reminded that Johnny Gilbert was a host, so I’ve met exactly one, albeit by phone. He did a radio commercial I wrote in which he read fun things you get to do if you become a doctor, so I got him to say, “Resect bowels! Remove spleens! And explode kidney stones with lasers!” He did my voicemail greeting, too. Nice man.

carlisle96

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2023, 01:39:34 PM »
I forgot to add two to my earlier list: Jack Clark and Johnny Gilbert. Look up the word "mensch." You'll probably see their pictures.

geno57

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2023, 05:15:36 PM »
Peter Marshall
I was working in production for a radio station group in Kansas City, c. 2005.  Just outside my studio door, I heard a very familiar voice. I jumped out of my chair to look into the hallway, and sure enough, it was The Master Of the Hollywood Squares himself! He was there with his son, Pete LaCock Jr., who had played for the Royals and later worked in their front office. Both were to be guests for an hour on our sports station. I chatted with Peter for a bit, told him that I had recently purchased his "Boy Singer" CD, and he autographed my notepad. Not sure, but I think Pete Jr. is still my neighbor.

Steve Harvey
We briefly worked for the same Chicago radio group, so I ran into him in the hallways a couple of times. He was nothing but nice and friendly. I also have a close friend who works on Feud these days, and has nothing negative to say about Steve.

Steve Allen
A true pioneer of television, he was a guest on my Chicago-based radio show for an hour one night in the early 1990s. I was in awe of the legend.

Bill Cosby
(He hosted a GS for a while, didn't he?) Same Chicago station (and around the same time frame) as my interview with Steve Allen, long before the general public knew about his nastiness, Cosby was my radio guest for around 15 minutes, late one night. He seemed warm and friendly.

Jim Hutton (not the actor)
THIS Jim Hutton was a TV personality from the Twin Cities, who had moved to Chicago in the early '60s to host a local "Hangman"-based game show called "The Letter Game". He also helmed the syndicated game, "Everything's Relative". I attended some tapings of "The Letter Game" at NBC's WMAQ-TV facility in Chicago's Merchandise Mart. I was only eight or nine years old when Jim and I talked about my dreams of going into broadcasting when I grew up. He was very encouraging to this kid ... although it's arguable whether I every actually did grow up.

Pat Sajak
At a Wheel taping in Nashville, where I worked at the same radio station that Pat had worked at many years earlier. We chatted for a bit between shows.

Art James
Never met him in person, but had some really nice, long phone conversations with him in his last few years on Earth. Totally lovable man.

There may have been one or two others over my now 50-year career in radio and television, but if there were, I can't think of them right now.

geno57

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2023, 05:29:36 PM »
Tom Kennedy - At a meeting of the Game Show Congress. I held the door open for him but he turned away in anger.

Now you've got me curious. Any idea why he was angry?

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2023, 10:10:33 PM »
Was friends with Ron Maestri for a while, and we'll leave it at that.
Saw him on an episode of Extreme Cheapskates some years back. He seems....eccentric.

Met Brooke Burns and Michael Strahan while a contestant.

Met Marc Summers at his documentary your. He was such a nice guy. Not so much on Twitter years later when he told me to "stop being so woke".
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.