Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show hosts you've met  (Read 8758 times)

aaron sica

Game show hosts you've met
« on: April 20, 2023, 09:20:50 AM »
Which game show hosts have you met? Being on a show doesn't count as we have a lot of contestants in here! At a show, or in public, or conventions, etc..

Me:
John O'Hurley at a book signing, Borders, 2006
Richard Karn at at a Harrisburg Senators game, 2017
Michael Strahan at a Pyramid taping, 2016
Bob Eubanks at a convention, 2022
Marc Summers at a seminar talking about his documentary, 2017
Todd Netwon at a Get Schooled Event, 2002
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 10:33:31 AM by aaron sica »

daveromanjr

Re: Game show hosts you've met
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 09:44:28 AM »
Cool topic!

Me:
Todd Newton at a GSN (well, Game Show Network at the time) Get Schooled tour in 2002. 
Marc Summers at a couple Food Network and Double Dare events. 
Alec Baldwin at several Match Game tapings (I explain below why I mention this)
Michael Strahan with you, Aaron in 2017
Donny Osmond in Washington DC at a Pyramid event
Mark L. Walberg
Vicki Lawrence

While I was just in the audience at Match Game with Alec I always ended up heckling him from the audience during taping shut downs when he'd interact with the audience.  It started out friendly until he recognized me from earlier tapings in the day and started making fun of me lightly and I'd hand it back to him.  It got to the point we yelled at each other - but again this was all tongue-in-cheek.  It turns out at the taping where we yelled I was sitting in front of a friend of his and Alec came up to greet them at the end of the taping.  Alec firmly put his hand on my shoulder and said "Thanks for being a good sport and playing along there".  He's not exactly Mr. Warmth but I still insist he's not as bad as others make him out to be.

Todd Newton was as friendly as could be and spoke with me at length about Peter Tomarken and a lot about taping Whammy and Hollywood Showdown.  His autobiography seems rather cocky to how he was in person, to be honest.

Marc Summers couldn't have been a nicer guy with me and took an excessive amount of time at a Food Network event when I told him about how my Dad built me a podium "just like Marcs!" when I was growing up because I always wanted to be a gameshow host.  When my dad passed in the photo collage at the funeral home we had a picture of me standing behind the podium next to the TV with Double Dare on.  Marc seemed so touched and after I told him that he talked for a very long while with me.

Best general celebrity interaction?  Both Darrel Hammond and Jane Krakowski after a Match Game taping.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 01:36:58 PM by daveromanjr »

SuperMatch93

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 09:57:09 AM »
I met Peter Sagal and got his autograph at a taping of Wait Wait in 2013.

A couple weeks ago when I was in NYC on vacation, I saw The Tonight Show and got to ask Jimmy Fallon a question during one of the breaks. I asked him "Besides That's My Jam, if you could have the opportunity to host any other game show which would you choose?" He said he wasn't sure and that he always saw himself as more of a player than a host.

ETA: Not a "meeting" per se but I did see Steve Harvey's talk show in 2015 when he was doing it in Chicago. Everyone in the audience got a free pair of Nike sunglasses.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 11:54:39 PM by SuperMatch93 »
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 11:09:53 AM »
Bob Barker
Al Roker
Meredith Vieira
Marc Summers
Alec Baldwin
Alan Kalter
Howie Mandel
Regis Philbin (first time was at a book signing; my brother knocked over his mug of pens and Regis called him a "klutz")
Pat Sajak
Brooke Burns
Mark L. Walberg
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 11:36:32 AM »
The Game Show Congresses of the latter 2000s and its related events were a great place to meet hosts.  My list from just those events include Tom Kennedy, Jack Narz, Bil Dwyer, Frank Nicotero, Todd Newton, Wink Martindale, Johnny Gilbert, Guillermo Huesca, Peter Marshall, Monty Hall, and likely others not coming to mind.  Others that were there that I did not meet include Elaine Boosler and Henry Polic II.

Elsewhere...
Vicki Lawrence, at a comic con last December
George Gray, at a Price taping in 2015
John O'Hurley, at the same book signing as Aaron
Mike Greenberg, at a book signing ~2010
Drew Carey, after a parade in 1996
J. Keith van Stratten, in 2019 at, of all things, a Cleveland Indians game.  He posted on FB he was at the game.  I told him I was at that game too.  So I schlepped my way from the bleachers to the nosebleeds and was with J. Keith's pals for 3 innings.

Close but no cigar:  Dick Clark, in 1999.  I was about 5 feet from him, but he was in a rush to get to LA--the official announcement for Greed was that day.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 12:54:36 PM by MikeK »

carlisle96

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 11:40:21 AM »
Regis Philbin
Bill Wendell
Jack Clark
Johnny Gilbert
Betty White
Art James
Geoff Edwards
Milton Berle (if you consider Jackpot Bowling a game show)
Stu Kerr, Rhea Feikin, Royal Parker (local Baltimore personalities...I know it's a stretch)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 03:20:29 PM by carlisle96 »

Brian44

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 11:48:14 AM »
Bob Barker...and that's it
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 08:03:43 PM by Brian44 »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 12:06:02 PM »
At the Game Show Congress in 2006, I met and shook hands with Tom Kennedy, Peter Marshall, Johnny Gilbert, Sarah Purcell and Jack Narz.  All were very friendly.  Jack told me he has a grandson named Ian.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 01:32:52 PM »
Indirectly: Guy Fieri when he visited our local diner. Got a picture with him a few months before “Minute to Win It” premiered.

Directly: J. Keith van Straaten at Trivia Nationals in 2019. There might be a group picture somewhere of us all playing “Match Game” for charity.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 07:08:15 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 04:42:28 PM »
Outside of official game show tapings:

Jay Stewart...the day Joan Rivers got her star on the Hollywood Walk of fame.

Bert Convy...at a Win Lose or Draw contestant tryout in Detroit.

Michael Burger...at a Wheel of Fortune Live event in Vegas.

Shandi Finnessy...At a Lingo contestant tryout in Akron.

whewfan

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 06:30:59 PM »
Okay, my turn...

Randy West- Twice... once around 2001, at the now former NBC Studios in Burbank, where Chris Jaunsen and I saw the Louie Anderson Feud set, the O'Hurley TTTT set, both in the same studio, and the Supermarket Sweep set in studio 9 I think, as well as The Weakest Link in Studio 1. He was a great tour guide. The second time was a year later, in 2003, on my birthday, where my brother, his wife and I all saw a taping of TPIR and he was announcing.

Bob Barker- In 2009 in NY for a book signing. He was uncharacteristically quiet and barely spoke, likely because there were many in line and he had to sign several books before flying back to CA.

Marc Summers- In 2017, twice. He was at a local ice cream place in Baltimore to meet and greet fans, where I shot a brief video with him, then the very next day, I got a picture with him after a showing of his documentary, with Pat Sajak interviewing him. Didn't get to meet Pat as he left before the movie ended.

Roger Dobkowitz and Rich Fields- 2007 at Bob's last show.

Stu Kerr- local Baltimore personality. He wasn't exactly a game show host, but had a call in show where he tried to call local people to give away prizes, it was called Dialing for Dollars. Stu was best known for having a number of children's shows. One show did have a series of games, but all played for fun, called Pop's Place. My brother interviewed him for a school project. Lots of great stories. One was on his shows, he would announce children's birthdays, then instruct that child that there was a special present hiding for him. In reality, the kid's Mom or Dad sent Stu a letter telling him where their child's present would be hiding. He got one letter from a mother whose daughter he surprised by telling her to look behind the blue couch for a surprise gift. She realized, at that point, that Stu could see her! From that point on, she never wore her pajamas in front of the TV set again!

Mike Tennant

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 06:53:56 PM »
Just Johnny Gilbert, at the 2004 J! College Tournament at the University of Pittsburgh. (I'm glad someone else mentioned him because his early emcee gigs had slipped my mind.)

Bob Zager

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 08:40:34 PM »
Bob Eubanks, on the final stop of the Wheel of Fortune Live Tour in 1996 at The Palace in Auburn Hills, MI.  I asked for a picture, and wasn't overly friendly after that.

colonial

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2023, 10:05:32 AM »
At a Game Show Congress or TV taping ...

Jack Narz, Tom Kennedy, Peter Marshall, Monty Hall, Bob Barker, Wink Martindale, Dick Clark, Elayne Boosler, Betty White, Johnny Gilbert, Burton Richardson, Regis Philbin, Kenny Mayne, Bob Saget, Robb Weller, Donny Osmond

Phone interviews for work ...

Howie Mandel, Todd Newton, Frank Nicotero, Guy Fieri, Ben Bailey

JD

WhammyPower

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2023, 10:14:24 AM »
Marc Summers, twice. First time was the "On Your Marc" documentary tour, second was on the Double Dare live tour.

I have also been in the same room as Jim Peck, but did not get to meet him.