The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Game show hosts you've met

(1/11) > >>

aaron sica:
Which game show hosts have you met? Being on a show doesn't count as we have a lot of contestants in here! At a show, or in public, or conventions, etc..

Me:
John O'Hurley at a book signing, Borders, 2006
Richard Karn at at a Harrisburg Senators game, 2017
Michael Strahan at a Pyramid taping, 2016
Bob Eubanks at a convention, 2022
Marc Summers at a seminar talking about his documentary, 2017
Todd Netwon at a Get Schooled Event, 2002

daveromanjr:
Cool topic!

Me:
Todd Newton at a GSN (well, Game Show Network at the time) Get Schooled tour in 2002. 
Marc Summers at a couple Food Network and Double Dare events. 
Alec Baldwin at several Match Game tapings (I explain below why I mention this)
Michael Strahan with you, Aaron in 2017
Donny Osmond in Washington DC at a Pyramid event
Mark L. Walberg
Vicki Lawrence

While I was just in the audience at Match Game with Alec I always ended up heckling him from the audience during taping shut downs when he'd interact with the audience.  It started out friendly until he recognized me from earlier tapings in the day and started making fun of me lightly and I'd hand it back to him.  It got to the point we yelled at each other - but again this was all tongue-in-cheek.  It turns out at the taping where we yelled I was sitting in front of a friend of his and Alec came up to greet them at the end of the taping.  Alec firmly put his hand on my shoulder and said "Thanks for being a good sport and playing along there".  He's not exactly Mr. Warmth but I still insist he's not as bad as others make him out to be.

Todd Newton was as friendly as could be and spoke with me at length about Peter Tomarken and a lot about taping Whammy and Hollywood Showdown.  His autobiography seems rather cocky to how he was in person, to be honest.

Marc Summers couldn't have been a nicer guy with me and took an excessive amount of time at a Food Network event when I told him about how my Dad built me a podium "just like Marcs!" when I was growing up because I always wanted to be a gameshow host.  When my dad passed in the photo collage at the funeral home we had a picture of me standing behind the podium next to the TV with Double Dare on.  Marc seemed so touched and after I told him that he talked for a very long while with me.

Best general celebrity interaction?  Both Darrel Hammond and Jane Krakowski after a Match Game taping.

SuperMatch93:
I met Peter Sagal and got his autograph at a taping of Wait Wait in 2013.

A couple weeks ago when I was in NYC on vacation, I saw The Tonight Show and got to ask Jimmy Fallon a question during one of the breaks. I asked him "Besides That's My Jam, if you could have the opportunity to host any other game show which would you choose?" He said he wasn't sure and that he always saw himself as more of a player than a host.

ETA: Not a "meeting" per se but I did see Steve Harvey's talk show in 2015 when he was doing it in Chicago. Everyone in the audience got a free pair of Nike sunglasses.

DoorNumberFour:
Bob Barker
Al Roker
Meredith Vieira
Marc Summers
Alec Baldwin
Alan Kalter
Howie Mandel
Regis Philbin (first time was at a book signing; my brother knocked over his mug of pens and Regis called him a "klutz")
Pat Sajak
Brooke Burns
Mark L. Walberg

MikeK:
The Game Show Congresses of the latter 2000s and its related events were a great place to meet hosts.  My list from just those events include Tom Kennedy, Jack Narz, Bil Dwyer, Frank Nicotero, Todd Newton, Wink Martindale, Johnny Gilbert, Guillermo Huesca, Peter Marshall, Monty Hall, and likely others not coming to mind.  Others that were there that I did not meet include Elaine Boosler and Henry Polic II.

Elsewhere...
Vicki Lawrence, at a comic con last December
George Gray, at a Price taping in 2015
John O'Hurley, at the same book signing as Aaron
Mike Greenberg, at a book signing ~2010
Drew Carey, after a parade in 1996
J. Keith van Stratten, in 2019 at, of all things, a Cleveland Indians game.  He posted on FB he was at the game.  I told him I was at that game too.  So I schlepped my way from the bleachers to the nosebleeds and was with J. Keith's pals for 3 innings.

Close but no cigar:  Dick Clark, in 1999.  I was about 5 feet from him, but he was in a rush to get to LA--the official announcement for Greed was that day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version