Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BUZZR Q2 2023  (Read 44802 times)

chrisholland03

Re: BUZZR Q2 2023
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2023, 09:54:05 AM »
With all due respect to the posters above me… I know the prevailing theory is that it’s taking a rest. I hope that’s right, but I’m not so sure.

My guess: It was a short-term deal, and it didn’t get the ratings and/or didn’t generate enough ad revenue for BUZZR to feel it was worth renewing. As opposed to, say, Classic Concentration, which is worth keeping in their portfolio.

I’ll be happy if I’m wrong about Whew!, though.

This was my impression from when they first announced it was coming.

BrandonFG

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2023, 11:25:27 AM »
With all due respect to the posters above me… I know the prevailing theory is that it’s taking a rest. I hope that’s right, but I’m not so sure.

My guess: It was a short-term deal, and it didn’t get the ratings and/or didn’t generate enough ad revenue for BUZZR to feel it was worth renewing. As opposed to, say, Classic Concentration, which is worth keeping in their portfolio.

I’ve mentioned a few times that I’m a member of a “Xennials” group on Facebook. Other members bring up Classic Concentration and $ale from time to time, and I think Buzzr realizes the former brings back fond memories for our generation, plus people got a kick out of Mustache Trebek even when he was alive.

As much as I enjoyed Whew! and TalkAbout, I can understand why they might not have the mainstream appeal as CC or $otC, especially when they got decent time slots. I could see them airing as a one-off or a marathon.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

snowpeck

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2023, 01:32:34 PM »

I’ve mentioned a few times that I’m a member of a “Xennials” group on Facebook. Other members bring up Classic Concentration and $ale from time to time, and I think Buzzr realizes the former brings back fond memories for our generation, plus people got a kick out of Mustache Trebek even when he was alive.

As much as I enjoyed Whew! and TalkAbout, I can understand why they might not have the mainstream appeal as CC or $otC, especially when they got decent time slots. I could see them airing as a one-off or a marathon.
Talkabout is still airing, albeit at 8:30am Eastern.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2023, 02:12:46 PM »
As much as I enjoyed Whew! and TalkAbout, I can understand why they might not have the mainstream appeal as CC or $otC, especially when they got decent time slots.

Despite my huge interest in "Talk About", I did initially question their choice of an 8PM time slot. It made it easy for me to catch the show, yes, but it really wasn't *that* prominent of a show to deserve such a time slot. The current 8:30A slot does seem more appropriate for it, even though (being 7:30A in my time zone) I'd still be getting my last moments of nap time by then. Unlike some who hang in this fandom, I *do* understand Buzzr can't schedule shows around my day.  :-*

tvmitch

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2023, 03:09:32 PM »

For those who are more in the know - how long was Whew! on the schedule? Was it a year? Wiki shows 273 episodes - 39 weeks of shows - although I know that there was a point where they cycled back to the beginning right before the celeb shows started.

I know nothing about the workings of Buzzr, but it seems plausible that it could have been a one-year lease, and they decided not to renew it after a cost-benefit analysis.

I would imagine it didn't come as a part of a larger library of shows, if that is indeed how the deals are packaged.
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2023, 03:11:37 PM »
Does BUZZR have nearly enough of a reach to worry that much about how the content affects ratings?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2023, 03:39:59 PM »

For those who are more in the know - how long was Whew! on the schedule? Was it a year? Wiki shows 273 episodes - 39 weeks of shows - although I know that there was a point where they cycled back to the beginning right before the celeb shows started.
13 months.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2023, 08:19:23 PM »

13 months.

IIRC, They only ran the first few months of the civilian format before jumping right into the Celebrity version, but they never made it through the whole celebrity run either.  Randy Amasia's civilian-version appearance.made it but they did not go much beyond that.  Several of the episodes that were on YouTube prior to Labor Day, 2021 were never remastered and seen on Buzzr..

chargeradiocom

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2023, 09:11:29 PM »

Being in the same demographic (I’d be curious about that FB group ;) ), I agree with your assessment. CC and $ale shows were off the air for the better part of 20 years*, so BUZZR is providing a good nostalgia fix for that generation. And for a little while longer at least, we’re in the key ad demo, so I’m sure BUZZR wants to keep us happy.

*And I remember about GSN running $ale briefly, but that was in an AM slot when much of that demo was at work, & after GSN had largely moved away from classics. I imagine a lot of the interested potential viewers never even knew GSN was running it.

Despite my huge interest in "Talk About", I did initially question their choice of an 8PM time slot. It made it easy for me to catch the show, yes, but it really wasn't *that* prominent of a show to deserve such a time slot.
Agreed. It wasn’t a bad show, but I didn’t know what they were thinking put it on at 8:00. I think their scheduling of Whew! at the outset was pretty much perfect, and probably would have been more fitting for TA.

Does BUZZR have nearly enough of a reach to worry that much about how the content affects ratings?
Absolutely. Perhaps not to the extent of a top 20 Nielsen network, but they’re definitely watching the numbers and trying to make programming decisions accordingly.

Keep in mind that free ad-supported streaming (FAST) is growing by leaps & bounds. And BUZZR is on nearly all those services.

JohnXXVII

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2023, 10:07:40 PM »

If that's case, why did Buzzr go and air the worst episodes of the show, the celebrity ones, leaving the best ones, the beginning, unaired? Surely, someone must have known that the quality of Whew! declined with time?

chargeradiocom

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2023, 11:07:29 PM »

If that's case, why did Buzzr go and air the worst episodes of the show, the celebrity ones, leaving the best ones, the beginning, unaired? Surely, someone must have known that the quality of Whew! declined with time?
If ratings numbers were starting to decline too quickly, perhaps a misguided notion that the celebrities would be a quick fix.

Granted, there are things about the viewership numbers that we fans aren’t privy to, so that’s conjecture on my part. But, for as much as BUZZR has generally been in tune with the fans, they are running a media business, and media businesses sometimes try to get a quick boost from celebrities. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn’t.

tyshaun1

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2023, 10:57:46 AM »
So most of the "National Game Show Day" celebration schedule is out, and based on the lineup, clearly the most popular shows on the network are Classic Concentration, Match Game, Press Your Luck and Password Plus. 10 episodes of CC and 6 of PYL on the 1st. 8 of CC, 7 of Plus, 6 of PYL, 5 of MG 73/79 on the 2nd, and 6 of CC plus 5 of MG 77/90 on 3rd. The only show they currently don't regularly air that makes an appearance is 1 hour of Child's Play on the 3rd and some Combs Feud on Friday and Saturday... surprising considering all the various logos they featured in their promo.

ETA: To clarify, Child's Play is the only show they haven't aired in quite a while. The shows that Chelsea listed have ran fairly recently.

ETAA: Starting June 5th, 2 hours of Dawson Feud from 1982 inherit the 9am - 11am time slot. Not sure if its permanent or a special event thing.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 05:18:33 PM by tyshaun1 »

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2023, 01:46:23 PM »
The only show they currently don't regularly air that makes an appearance is 1 hour of Child's Play on the 3rd and some Combs Feud on Friday and Saturday... surprising considering all the various logos they featured in their promo.

also
A B&W 3-pack of Cullen TPIR, CBS WML, and nighttime Password 12P-2P Saturday
Match Game '90 x2 9P Saturday
Million Dollar Password x2 10p-Midnight Thursday

Child's Play is a show I'd love to see turn up on the schedule again, and it's nice to see it turn up again.

In general though, "mostly our popular stuff with some lesser seen alternate versions and one or two things we normally don't touch" is pretty standard promotional practice unless there's a specific thematic reason. Special episodes of stuff they normally run with a handful of lesser seen shows sprinkled in almost assuredly best suits that purpose.

And through their streaming feeds, Buzzr pretty much knows who is watching those to a person, what they're watching, when, from where, and for how long. (I remember reading  something from either 2021 or 2022 that they have or at least had the longest length of time before someone changed the channel of anything on PlutoTV, for example)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2023, 11:53:28 PM »
Why do I get the feeling that if anything they'd air the 1984 finale instead?

Saw a promo today, the 89 finale of SP with Betty chucking the toaster will air

I was referring to TT.

The SP episode in question is airing on 6/2, though (7 ET/6 CT).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

WhammyPower

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2023, 03:45:57 PM »
Since I saw him on the promo, I have confirmed that Buzzr's airing the Michael Larson PYLs on Friday the 2nd at 6:00 PM, then immediately following that with the Toaster SP as mentioned above.