Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows you really looked forward to seeing, but found underwhelming  (Read 13747 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Shows you really looked forward to seeing, but found underwhelming
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2023, 09:57:48 PM »
But here’s the thing about TNPIR that sets it apart: you’re coming right onto the stage and getting a shot at some decent prize. And yeah, the possibility did exist for a show to end up with no winners, but wasn’t there at least one game per show that you really had to eff up in to lose it?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2023, 10:27:54 PM »
Who wants to watch 30 minutes of nobody winning anything at all

when you can watch 60 minutes of nobody winning anything at all?

SuperSweeper

« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2023, 11:14:44 AM »
Who wants to watch 30 minutes of nobody winning anything at all

when you can watch 60 minutes of nobody winning anything at all?

Slight caveat: At least on the GSN version of The Chase, contestants had their trips paid for, so everyone was technically already "winners". :)

Otm Shank

« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2023, 01:41:49 AM »
Naturally....

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2023, 09:50:55 PM »
Alright, I for one can now officially add Split Second to this thread's category after catching tonight's premiere, without having seen the preview episode.
Someone else used "m'eh" to sum it up, and I agree with that. The flowing energy just wasn't there for me, and what felt like cheesy scripted laugh-grabbing lines from John between questions didn't help. Cool set though, and I do like how they begin the show with action straightaway. But overall still...m'eh.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2023, 01:51:45 PM »
And if it took you fifteen times to finally win $20K, you were by then just "rounding up" and losing all the bonus money you'd accumulated along the way which was another sign of cheapness.
Seemed like the easiest thing to do would be to have the contestants play the entire show, with each WC crack being $10k. Win both WCs, there's a $20,000, it feels earned, and any really good players you have will be off your set in 25 minutes regardless.

The Card Sharks reboot with Joel McHale was a let down. The set looked great. Joel did the best he could with what he had to work with. It just dragged too much.

-Dan
I thought Joel was part of the problem. His general demeanor isn't a match for a show like that.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2023, 01:56:24 PM »
The Card Sharks reboot with Joel McHale was a let down. The set looked great. Joel did the best he could with what he had to work with. It just dragged too much.
My biggest problem with the show was they tried to force “Deal or No Deal” type dramatic pacing on a show that didn’t need it at all. A pregnant pause for a card somewhere in the middle, then the final card of the game being flipped super fast just looks silly.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2023, 06:56:37 PM »
My biggest problem with the show was they tried to force “Deal or No Deal” type dramatic pacing on a show that didn’t need it at all. A pregnant pause for a card somewhere in the middle, then the final card of the game being flipped super fast just looks silly.

Exactly.  What made CS fun in the 70s and 80s was the pacing:    The fast pace (the running of the cards) meshed well with the slow "cool down" (poll questions) pace. 

In the McHale Money Cards, not only did the pregnant pauses  kill the mood, but the physical moving of the "betting chips" seemed to take forever.  Sure, more money was potentially on the line and the winning contestant doesn't get to play another game, but the decision making times should still be consistent with the  older versions.

Denials

« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2023, 09:57:27 AM »
Put me firmly in the camp of people who thought Joel McHale was a big part of the problem with the CS reboot.  Yes, it absolutely had the other problems mentioned above, which I agree with, especially pacing.  However, Joel is just one of those people that, no matter what he's on, always makes it about him, to the point of being uncomfortable to watch.