Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows you really looked forward to seeing, but found underwhelming  (Read 13751 times)

BrandonFG

I’m thinking more along the lines of something you only read about in the EOTVGS and always wanted to see, but if you waited all summer for a premiere only to be disappointed, I’ll allow it.

As a child I was obsessed with Bullseye, having seen the pictures of the impressive set in the EOTVGS, then getting to download clips and the theme song on various sites. When I finally watched the show, it was intriguing but lacking. Maybe it was because the first episode I watched had celebrities but it felt like Joker’s Wild tried to make the Fast Forward category its own show, then ironically slowed it to a crawl.

Your turn!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperMatch93

Re: Shows you really looked forward to seeing, but found underwhelming
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 10:18:21 PM »
I remember that reading about Battlestars on David Livingston's old website piqued my curiosity, and when I finally saw an episode years later I thought it was OK but not as interesting as it sounded on there.

EDIT: For your second category, Temptation is the prime example.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 10:43:39 PM by SuperMatch93 »
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 10:36:06 PM »
As a child I was obsessed with Bullseye, having seen the pictures of the impressive set in the EOTVGS, then getting to download clips and the theme song on various sites. When I finally watched the show, it was intriguing but lacking. Maybe it was because the first episode I watched had celebrities but it felt like Joker’s Wild tried to make the Fast Forward category its own show, then ironically slowed it to a crawl.

I guess I can count that one too. If I remember, the first ep. I saw of that didn't have a bonus round, so I guess that didn't help (and only reinforces your claim re. the pacing).

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 10:41:23 PM »
As far as the."waiting for the premiere" side: by far, the 2001 edition of Card Sharks tops my list. I was so excited to see that one of my favorites as a kid was coming back, and then...

As for the "I read about it so I have to see it" side: this one is a toughie because I got back into my fandom largely because of the fansites so many people made in the early 2000s. And a lot of them were about what I expected, be they good or bad. But if I'm going to pick one, I've probably gotta go with (apologies to Kris Lane and his awesome page on the subject) Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak. I just didn't like the format, outside of the bonus round.

I have to give an honorable mention to Double Talk, because of just how.little there was to the game. The bonus round, again, to me was the only redeeming factor.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 10:47:59 PM »

I guess I can count that one too. If I remember, the first ep. I saw of that didn't have a bonus round, so I guess that didn't help (and only reinforces your claim re. the pacing).
You remember correctly. I was surprised GSN would use such an episode for the Feast of Favorites.

As far as premieres, I’ll add CS01 to the list. I initially liked Temptation but that wore off pretty quickly.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 11:10:44 PM »
You remember correctly. I was surprised GSN would use such an episode (of "Bullseye") for the Feast of Favorites.

You know, that's probably where I saw it.

The mention of CS '01 earlier reminded me that the Joel McHale reboot was somewhat of a letdown for me.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 11:11:12 PM »
I’m thinking more along the lines of something you only read about in the EOTVGS and always wanted to see, but if you waited all summer for a premiere only to be disappointed, I’ll allow it.

I'll give you one of each.

Read About It: Remote Control. I never saw it on an actual television - it was canceled when I was one year old. Kris Lane's site made it sound hilarious, and I also spent many an hour playing a version of the DOS computer game downloaded from whatever abandonware site. When the advent of sites like Youtube finally allowed me to watch a few episodes...I would never saw it was bad, but it mostly just felt like a weird 80s relic. Ditto Fun House  - sites like The Fun House Factory made it sound great, but when I finally found it on Youtube, I had to constantly repeat to myself "It's 1988...it's 1988..."

Waited Months For The Premiere: The 2021 Legends Of The Hidden Temple on CW. Again, I would never call it bad - it was watchable and it was cute and it made me nostalgic - but it wasn't worth the 25-year wait* for a part of my childhood to come back. Even Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge was better.

*I'm not counting the 2016 TV movie. If I must give an opinion on it, again, it was watchable and it was cute and it made me nostalgic.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 11:45:45 PM »
I remember eagerly anticipating Temptation and Merv Griffin's Crosswords back in 2007. Both left me going "eh, it's okay".

Ditto with Save To Win, which got me intrigued due to being a new daytime network game show. Found it to be kinda dull, especially when I realized the "smart shopping" mentioned in the opening spiel was nowhere to be found. The bonus round being straight-up stank-ass luck right out of a lottery game show didn't help matters.

In all three cases, I figured I'd give them time to find their footing. I was rewarded with three big raspberries for my trouble.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

trainman

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 01:31:29 AM »
What comes to mind first is the "Scrabble" revival and "Scattergories" in 1993.
trainman is a man of trains

Jamey Greek

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 02:16:38 AM »
I would say Match Game 1998

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 07:23:03 AM »
The Million Second Quiz.  Ryan Seacrest 's bete noire.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 08:05:16 AM »
Caesars Challenge felt like lots of window dressing for a banal game I wasn’t good at. It wasn’t until later in life that I started to appreciate it.

Most of the Family Channel ‘96 block, and the two USA originals Quicksilver and Free 4 All.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 01:56:58 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Ian Wallis

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 09:16:45 AM »
Going back quite a ways, but the first thing that came to mind for me was The Magnificent Marble Machine.  School had just ended a couple weeks prior and NBC was running a lot of promos for this show.  I couldn't wait until it finally came on, but remember being kind of unimpressed when I saw it.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 09:27:31 AM »
Going back quite a ways, but the first thing that came to mind for me was The Magnificent Marble Machine.  School had just ended a couple weeks prior and NBC was running a lot of promos for this show.  I couldn't wait until it finally came on, but remember being kind of unimpressed when I saw it.
[/quote

There wasn't enough action at the machine. I thought it would be good to have letter targets to spell words, instead of the main game, which was ok, but belonged on another show.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tyshaun1

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 09:49:20 AM »
One of my earliest game show memories was seeing the promos for Hit Man and getting pretty excited due to NBC promising us "video game action" and 6-year-old me thinking we'd see video games on TV... only to find out it was a memory based quiz which virtually had nothing to do with arcades or gaming. Great set and music but still don't know why they thought that'd be a good combo at the time.