Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows you really looked forward to seeing, but found underwhelming  (Read 14180 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Shows you really looked forward to seeing, but found underwhelming
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2023, 09:55:02 PM »
Never mind the point that wordy questions and Barry & Enright quizzes tended to go hand in hand; ergo, shouldn’t surprise anybody who watched the original Joker’s Wild that Snoop’s version had the same vibe.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

johnnya2k3

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2023, 11:23:50 PM »
And then, there was Big Deal (aka Extreme LMAD); if it wasn’t for those football overruns, I would’ve gotten right into it after only a couple episodes.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2023, 11:39:21 PM »
So again, that’s not that Big Deal was underwhelming,but was outside sources tha5 kept you away.
Travis L. Eberle

That Don Guy

« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2023, 09:33:48 PM »
To your first point, I don’t seem to remember any of that happening. I know Maury told the champion  if their opponent reached 21, but that was after the question was chosen.

Perhaps you're right - what I may have been (mis)thinking was, a contestant was told (after choosing a question) that their opponent had reached 21, so they now knew that they should bring in their "expert" as there was no need to save them for another question in that game.

tpirfan28

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2023, 03:07:01 PM »
Can I offshoot this just a bit and say Trader Bob and the Phone Home Game?  Watching them on the retro channel (frequently it seems) exposes them as a bit.....dull?  Trader Bob looked neat but basically becomes anticlimactic and Bob's fairly consistent DON'T SHOW THE PRICE all the time is annoying.  Phone Home sounded creative but playing it out there's nothing there.  Good interaction to have an at-home player, but still.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Neumms

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2023, 10:20:38 AM »
Snoop’s Joker’s Wild was terrific in a lot of ways. Snoop was pretty good, the set was fantastic and I didn’t think the more involved questions were so bad. I didn’t like the less involved questions that were way too easy. I’m not sure how to handle three jokers without them ending the game, and here they came up too often. Seeing promos, I admit I was excited to see how dice would enter in, but bleah.

Whammy! was a big disappointment. I didn’t like the first round (the third player had such a huge advantage), the prizes were cheap and the double whammies were just stupid especially when they don’t surprise the contestant. 

The new Split Second has disappointment written all over it.

BrandonFG

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2023, 10:54:44 AM »
The new Split Second has disappointment written all over it.
Can folks please let an actual episode air before making hot takes? I’m seeing this complaint way too often when there’s only been a handful of short clips from the show.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

carlisle96

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2023, 12:52:47 PM »
Classic Concentration...no mechanical game board and a less than enthusiastic Alex Trebek.

Kniwt

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2023, 01:01:36 PM »
Taskmaster US. That's it. That's my answer.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2023, 02:30:41 PM »
On paper, Just Men! seemed like it was a good idea. Betty White as a game show host and since she won an Emmy for it it had to have been a good show hurt solely by time slot. In actuality, it came off as dull.

The EoTVGS second edition made The Last Word and its set seem a lot better than it was given it was a dull and warmed over hangman variant I have zero recollection of from first run.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2023, 06:54:08 PM »
I'll toss GSN's 2012 revival of Pyramid into this mix.  I probably just had too-high of hopes for this one.  Lots of things about this revival seemed 9/10's of the way there.  The set, the crummy theme, the added "oh hey you gave a clue with 4 vowels in the word so you won a blender" style add-ins were all bleh.  But the core of the game was there.  It may seem more underwhelming now that we have Strahan's Pyramid which, to me, is leaps and bounds better.

Shoot Strahan's version is MILES better than Donnymid and Mikeymid combined!

BrandonFG

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2023, 07:02:27 PM »
I'll toss GSN's 2012 revival of Pyramid into this mix.........the added "oh hey you gave a clue with 4 vowels in the word so you won a blender" style add-ins were all bleh.
The show itself was forgettable but I actually did like the 7-for-7 bonuses being worth $5,000 being added to the Winner's Circle pot, plus $500 for the contestant each time it happened. Made for a nice little consolation if you don't get to play the WC.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2023, 07:08:50 AM »
I'll toss GSN's 2012 revival of Pyramid into this mix.........the added "oh hey you gave a clue with 4 vowels in the word so you won a blender" style add-ins were all bleh.
The show itself was forgettable but I actually did like the 7-for-7 bonuses being worth $5,000 being added to the Winner's Circle pot, plus $500 for the contestant each time it happened. Made for a nice little consolation if you don't get to play the WC.

Agreed - mediocre show top to bottom but that was a great rule.   

I'm in the camp that says the format for 70s Pyr (one lose and done) was bad, but the 80s version wasn't much better.

My idea? Take Classic Concentration's two strike loss format. Lose 2 and leave. Then, money ladder the Winner's Circle. First time, 10K, Second 25K, Third 50K, then 4th (and future until you win it) 100K.     There. Now you have a daily $100K Pyramid that rewards good players, and doesn't penalize an off-game (like one with a shitty celebrity partner),  without throwing obscene money around.

But hey, that's just my idea.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TimK2003

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2023, 09:39:18 AM »

Agreed - mediocre show top to bottom but that was a great rule.   

I'm in the camp that says the format for 70s Pyr (one lose and done) was bad, but the 80s version wasn't much better.

My idea? Take Classic Concentration's two strike loss format. Lose 2 and leave. Then, money ladder the Winner's Circle. First time, 10K, Second 25K, Third 50K, then 4th (and future until you win it) 100K.     There. Now you have a daily $100K Pyramid that rewards good players, and doesn't penalize an off-game (like one with a shitty celebrity partner),  without throwing obscene money around.

But hey, that's just my idea.

When Pyramid returned to CBS, they (IMO) fixed the contestant longevity rule for the better by going with the highest non-bonus $$ winner at the end of the show.  Whoever won the most in regular game money came back (unless they won the $25k), but both players returned if they tied in winnings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2023, 10:02:06 AM »
But that’s Matt’s point—they really didn’t, if one partner was way better than the other that $25,000 was staying with Bob Stewart.
Travis L. Eberle