Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Three On A Match/Personality Music  (Read 2058 times)

steveleb

Three On A Match/Personality Music
« on: March 23, 2023, 12:40:10 PM »
So I'm a little stumped, inspired by the game show possible music that wasn't used on a game show.

I'm a huge fan of the content from The Athletic, which on Thursdays has a comedic-oriented basketball podcast called Point of Contention.  Frequently, they use music stings from eras of the past for commercial plugs that, in context, are hilarious.  Today these used a flute-laden riff that, honestly, sounds like it was from the same recording session from the theme that Uncle Bob used first on Personality! and, more iconically, on everybody's favorite, Three On A Match.

Was this indeed a Bob Israel/Score concoption or, like Sugar Lips, have its origins somewhere else?

Do any of you happen to know--and perhaps have a link to the theme in the clear?

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Re: Three On A Match/Personality Music
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 02:19:56 PM »
It's one of those themes with no in-the-clear recording circulating, unfortunately. But of course, who knows who's sitting on what these days?  ;D
I've only ever read it as being by Bob Cobert.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 03:08:56 PM »
Does anybody know if Three on a Match had a second theme at some point in its run (likely near the beginning of the run?)

Years ago I traded for some themes and Three on a Match was one of them, but it wasn't the one that's on the circulating episodes.  The trader told me it was the show's first theme song, which I've never been able to confirm.

Just wondering...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 04:12:27 PM »
Does anybody know if Three on a Match had a second theme at some point in its run (likely near the beginning of the run?)

Years ago I traded for some themes and Three on a Match was one of them, but it wasn't the one that's on the circulating episodes.  The trader told me it was the show's first theme song, which I've never been able to confirm.

Just wondering...

https://www.billcullen.net/three-on-a-match - there's audio  at the bottom of what may be the first episode.  Have a listen...

Ian Wallis

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 04:45:03 PM »
https://www.billcullen.net/three-on-a-match - there's audio  at the bottom of what may be the first episode.  Have a listen...

Thanks for pointing out the link.  That sounds like the same theme that's on the other circulating episodes, so maybe there was never another theme.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

steveleb

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 08:31:13 PM »
I know the format was altered to a jump in played for escalating dollar values in the last 13 week cycle (more Lin Boden half assed research) so as to get even more board game time in.  But I don’t remember any time theme.

Now Personality…which used the same theme in its latter days…started out with a Herb Alpert tune as its original theme, much like Eye Guess used Sugar Lips.  I know someone here knows the tune…it was often used to simulate a strutting burro.  I can’t get the vision of Joan Fontaine nervously dangling her sandal during an obscenely long closing in rhythm to that tune

Bob Zager

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 09:21:22 PM »
The Herb Alpert song originally used on Personality, was titled "Struttin' with Maria". I believe Bob Stewart once mentioned he really liked Herb Alpert and Al Hirt music.  "Sugar Lips" was one of Hirt's recordings.

steveleb

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 09:36:51 PM »
Yep that’s the one.  And considering where Chuck Barris’ music beds came from in the same era, one thinks that at least musically he was one truly cool cat. And to be fair, Herb Alpert was ubiquitous in the day, and a staple of easy listening radio.

Still I wish Joan Fontaine could have controlled her restless legs …

MisterX

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 10:39:48 PM »
To be certain, with evidence, that "Struttin' With Maria" was used on ANY game show (as a theme or cue), there is the pilot show for You're Putting Me On, heard here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Osqfv3bU8

steveleb

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 06:26:17 PM »
I can’t thank you enough for posting that.  I vaguely recall the show on sir but obviously had never seen or heard any episode.

This was clearly Stewart’s most ambitious effort to date.  Obviously there were breadcrumbs of Pyramid in the bonus game.  We used methods like this in focus groups for out of the box thinking; I’m told actors employ similar exercises. And therein was the flaw.  Unless you had such training you likely couldn’t play this game.  And as many others have said once you get through about 100 famous people you run the risk of obscurity.  With this material and cast a quality pilot was possible; I think NBC have Bob a thank you order  after Eye Guess worked so well.   Ron was bland as a host.  I vaguely recall Bill Leyden being decent; Larry was obviously made for the role.  But this was clearly doomed to fail