Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most unusual post-GS career switch  (Read 5393 times)

tvwxman

Re: Most unusual post-GS career switch
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2023, 07:34:16 AM »
Jim Peck, Marquette University anyone?

And Todd Newton went into real estate as well, in addition to part owning a (wait for it) tattoo parlor.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2023, 10:00:41 AM »

I did hear about him having an office job with MU. He did, however, stay in broadcasting: He hosted "I Remember" for Milwaukee PBS for many years, and also worked as a news anchor for WTMJ Radio.

aaron sica

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2023, 10:30:07 AM »
After many years of hosting the California Lottery’s Big Spin (with Geoff Edwards, Larry Anderson, and Pat Finn), Maiquel Alejo moved lock, stock, and barrel to Miami where she’s now a luxury realtor:
https://youtu.be/Wj-X5GKd1VE

Can you EVER reply without flexing? At this point, no one's impressed.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2023, 11:38:32 AM »

Can you EVER reply without flexing? At this point, no one's impressed.

Especially when he edited his post to add it. It wasn’t in the original post.

And the post about the dude from Family Feud who killed someone was particularly gear grinding. Did I have to read three sentences’ worth of irrelevant info just to get to the link to the story?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2023, 01:04:53 PM »
Especially when he edited his post to add it. It wasn’t in the original post.

And the post about the dude from Family Feud who killed someone was particularly gear grinding. Did I have to read three sentences’ worth of irrelevant info just to get to the link to the story?
That’s what he does unfortunately. Tries to connect two different things to force a correlation where it’s a coincidence at most.

Back to the thread, Jim Perry became an author, I believe on marriage or self-help.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2023, 01:06:52 PM »
Back to the thread, Jim Perry became an author, I believe on marriage or self-help.

He wrote two books on self-help, one of which didn't get released for several years after due to some issues with the publisher. I believe his wife opened a pottery business in North Carolina, where they eventually retired.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

PYLdude

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2023, 01:29:21 PM »

He wrote two books on self-help, one of which didn't get released for several years after due to some issues with the publisher. I believe his wife opened a pottery business in North Carolina, where they eventually retired.

You’re correct. Although they eventually moved out to Oregon before Jim passed away.

June used to keep a blog, which she updated regularly until about 2017. Interesting read it was.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

PYLdude

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2023, 01:32:34 PM »
Speaking of Sale (and sorry for double posting), this is sort of staying with showbiz, but after Jay Stewart left announcing he became a talent agent for a very brief period.

TimK2003

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2023, 02:54:03 PM »
Didn't someone find out that Jim Perry and his wife owned  some sort of florist/nursery in the Carolinas shortly before he passed?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 06:01:49 PM by TimK2003 »

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2023, 03:03:55 PM »
Bill Rafferty was a Fox News correspondent for a hot second.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh5tq2Dwpu8

DoItRockapella

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2023, 05:57:09 PM »
Scott Rogowsky (of HQ Trivia fame) now owns a vintage clothing shop in Santa Monica.

https://www.lamag.com/lalifeandstyle/the-guy-who-hosted-hq-trivia-is-now-selling-shirts-in-santa-monica/

Skip Lackey (second host of Nick Arcade) is now a life coach, personal growth coach ... i.e. makes money telling people in conference rooms how to do better.

https://skiplackey.com/about-skip/

I think you have your Nickelodeon game shows mixed up here - Skip Lackey was the second host of Think Fast, not Nick Arcade.

TimK2003

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2023, 06:05:04 PM »
And Jim MacKrell is currently a novelist, IIRC he writes stories based on the old west.

calliaume

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2023, 09:18:29 PM »

I did hear about him having an office job with MU. He did, however, stay in broadcasting: He hosted "I Remember" for Milwaukee PBS for many years, and also worked as a news anchor for WTMJ Radio.
According to his Wikipedia bio, Jim's first job after graduating from Marquette was as an admissions counselor; he may have been there for six years before his broadcast career began. And he worked in PR and fundraising upon his return there, which probably took advantage of his skills in working with the public. (Marquette was one of my son's top choices for colleges--he got in and really liked the school, but got a better financial offer from DePaul, which he happily accepted. I was hoping against hope we'd run into him on the campus tour, but no such luck.)

The number of on-camera people switching to real estate doesn't surprise me; I have a college friend who anchored in local markets for close to 35 years and then made the same switch. Being a good speaker and presenter, as well as a face people trust, must help.

Neumms

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2023, 05:48:25 PM »
According to his Wikipedia bio, Jim's first job after graduating from Marquette was as an admissions counselor; he may have been there for six years before his broadcast career began. And he worked in PR and fundraising upon his return there, which probably took advantage of his skills in working with the public.

Jim Peck also hosted the local daytime chat show Twin Cities Today--precursor to Good Company, don't you know--for a short time between his ABC games and Divorce Court. I always thought, "wow, Channel 5 must be a big deal!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2023, 04:40:42 PM »
Veering away from on-camera talent:

Jay Wolpert arguably had more success as a screenwriter than as a game-show packager.

Paul Alter submitted a movie treatment to Disney which wound up in a lawsuit. His songwriting career never took off, though.

Ira Skutch had several books published.