Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Joker's Wild Jack Barry version question  (Read 2415 times)

wdm1219inpenna

Joker's Wild Jack Barry version question
« on: March 10, 2023, 10:44:04 AM »
I came across an episode from 1977 where the Mystery category was in play.  Jack had 7 numbered cards in front of him for that category.  My question is a two parter.  First, was there ever a time when all 7 questions were used up before the game ended?  If so, what did they do if the Mystery category came up on the wheels after the question bank was already exhausted?

Ian Wallis

Re: Joker's Wild Jack Barry version question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 11:09:48 AM »
FWIW, I watched Joker's Wild regularly back then and I never saw more than a few Mystery Category questions used in one game - I think about 4 at the most.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BillCullen1

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 11:18:22 AM »
I don't recall this situation ever coming up on TJW with either Jack Barry, Jim Peck or Bill Cullen as host.

KrisW73

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 03:19:41 PM »
I'll back what the previous replies said and take a stab at the exhausting the available questions part. I would guess they would have more Mystery questions offstage as I remember reading (here maybe?) when Jim Peck was filling in for Bill Cullen they'd have stop downs as Jim was a much faster paced host and questions would run out, so they would have to refresh what was behind his podium.

Otm Shank

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 09:46:45 PM »
Not a Mystery category, but it didn't take long to burn through 7 questions in this game, thanks in part to a gimpy Jack Barry and the studio lighting washing out the visual-category projection screen.

https://youtu.be/s0TFG33sgRg?t=69
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 11:39:11 PM by Otm Shank »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 02:11:55 PM »
I think that if the show ran into an issue where (some number) proved to be insufficient that they would increase the number. I know that when we ran it on on Discord we had between eight and ten questions for standard topics, a pile for Mystery Meat and How Low Would You Go and Fast Forward became call-and-response instead of trivia questions, but we never got to the point where we had to say “Totally 80s is now a Joker.”
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 02:04:45 PM »
Another question I wondered about just now, while watching an old episode:

Let’s say you’ve got a champion who needs three jokers to win the game and nothing else. While he doesn’t spin them, he still manages to get a natural triple. Even though he can’t win the game with that, would he have gotten the prize(s) for spinning it?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 02:08:50 PM »
I would assume so. It’s a legal spin according to the rules of the game.
Travis L. Eberle

Eric Paddon

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 11:00:52 PM »
I saw that happen once.    The contestant spun a natural triple on her losing spin and still won the jackpot.    I distinctly remember the category was "Proverbs and Sayings".

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 02:23:43 AM »
Another question I wondered about just now, while watching an old episode:

Let’s say you’ve got a champion who needs three jokers to win the game and nothing else. While he doesn’t spin them, he still manages to get a natural triple. Even though he can’t win the game with that, would he have gotten the prize(s) for spinning it?
Exactly this situation happens in episode #498 of the CBS version (not rerun by GSN). Contestant lost the game but DID receive a prize for spinning the natural triple in "Famous Houses" on her losing spin.