Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "The Price Is Right" to leave Television City  (Read 13082 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
"The Price Is Right" to leave Television City
« on: March 08, 2023, 05:38:02 PM »
There had been rumors that it would happen, but Deadline now reports that the next season of The Price Is Right will be taped in Glendale (which is where Let's Make a Deal will also move to for its 2023–24 season).

A representative from Fremantle says that it's because of the upcoming renovations to Television City. No specific timetable for the TVC renovation had been publicly announced.

Jimmy Owen

Re: "The Price Is Right" to leave Television City
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 07:02:33 PM »
" From the Bob Barker Studios in Glendale..."

...""
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 07:27:51 PM »
How big a footprint does TPIR have now?

Stage 33 plus scene storage for a zillion pricing games plus (one or two?) warehouses for prizes plus office space plus parking plus an area for assembling the audience/contestants. It all adds up.

I wonder what will become of the soaps which currently occupy three stages at TV City. Maybe move them across Genesee?

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 12:28:11 PM »
With the change of venue in the near future for Price, plus how the game is played now with limited audiences due to lingering Covid safety procedures, this could be a real turning point for the show.

Will the limited seating pods become permanent?  If not, how much more capacity will ultimately be added to the new studio when Covid restrictions are eased?

Will you still need to pass contestant pre-screening (aka auditioning -- not Covid testing), before you are "invited" into the actual studio for a taping or will they go back to an open selection process the day of taping?

I'm curious to know what the viewership is now that he Covid-format has more or less been in place for a while now, as well as the amount of people who still want to become contestants.  Ultimately, interest in the show will determine if the show can survive outside of it's Television City nest of 50+ years.

And this is some longshot thinking, but would this be a good time for Drew to retire as host, or for Fremantle to go in a new direction with a new host and/or a complete overhaul of the show (less games & props at the new studios, reducing the number of games played on the show each episode,...)?

I wouldn't be surprised if Fremantle may be looking at all the possible options with this significant change in the history of TPIR.

jage

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 01:43:56 PM »
That all seems very over-reactionary. Price will be price. 99.9% aren't going to notice or care the show has moved. The appeal for audience tickets may change or have changed a bit, but the show is still doing just fine in daytime.

Casey

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 02:12:46 PM »
I wondered how long it would take before we had "Drew must go" in the thread.  It didn't take as long as I thought it would.

cmjb13

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 02:41:19 PM »
Has it been made clear that this is a permanent move or will they be going back to 33 once the construction is completed?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

wxfrcaster

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 02:47:57 PM »
Considering Fremantle is an investor in Haven Studios and has a long-term lease, makes sense to move/stay vs. paying for space, warehouses, and studio time - from a pure business standpoint. If they could come close to replicating Studio 33 with the sunken audience, it might not even be noticeable. Or do you take the opportunity to really change things up?

Stackertosh

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 11:07:47 PM »
The average viewer is not going to know or care.

I would love to see the show go back to pre covid days even if they have a smaller audience. I am not a fan of the pods.

trainman

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2023, 01:44:01 AM »
I found the address 4561 Colorado Blvd. from older articles like this one -- if that's correct, then the new studio is technically within L.A. city limits, not in Glendale. (It's an area that "feels" like Glendale, but it's across the train tracks that denote the boundary between the two cities.)
trainman is a man of trains

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2023, 02:05:17 AM »
would this be a good time for Drew to retire as host, or for Fremantle to go in a new direction with a new host and/or a complete overhaul of the show (less games & props at the new studios, reducing the number of games played on the show each episode,...)?

Like musical numbers, dancing girls and Rosie O'Donnell as emcee? Maybe comedy sketches?

It's a sinecure for Drew — easy money for next to no effort. He's not going anywhere.

chrisholland03

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2023, 07:17:53 AM »
I have no ill-will against Drew, but having watched a couple of eps this week, he's really phoning it in.

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2023, 10:42:06 AM »
What I am wondering is are they still taping season 51 episodes?  If so, are they going to have a "One Last Blast" kind of themed episode for the last one taped there?

aaron sica

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2023, 11:52:48 AM »
What I am wondering is are they still taping season 51 episodes?  If so, are they going to have a "One Last Blast" kind of themed episode for the last one taped there?

If I had to guess, I'd say that they will probably be as transparent and possible and not mention it. I also could be completely wrong.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2023, 12:30:28 PM »
If it’s a temporary move for renovations as currently advertised, I don’t think it makes much sense to do so. I could see them making a mention on air, but I think they’ll keep the transition seamless, even if it is kind of a big deal given the history.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!