Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TikTok Live Trivia 2/22-2/26  (Read 2053 times)

peiboy91

TikTok Live Trivia 2/22-2/26
« on: February 21, 2023, 05:15:33 PM »
TikTok will be hosting live trivia games for cash Feb. 22-26. They're giving away $100k per day:
  • Two games per day 2/22-2/24, first game for $30k and second one for $70k. Get all 12 questions right to split the prize.
  • One "survival round" on 2/25 and 2/26, get 40 questions right or be one of the last 500 survivors to split the prize
Those who don't already have a TikTok account can sign up to get an Extra Life card. Those already on TikTok can register by clicking on the trivia widget in the For You feed.

Interesting that TikTok is trying this given what happened to HQ and other trivia apps. But it is being sponsored by the new John Wick movie so Lionsgate is probably covering the prize money.

tvwxman

Re: TikTok Live Trivia 2/22-2/26
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 09:08:23 AM »
Anyone do this? How was it?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 09:27:36 AM »
Each game took about 3x as long as HQ to ask the same number of questions, but I’ll take the prize ($5 and $22 for the first two games, each of which had only one hard question. )
@lambertman

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 10:34:06 AM »
Yeah, some definite vamping from time to time but it was fun.

The second game had what seemed to be a controversial question based on the source of the answer. The question was something like "What is the second largest city in South Africa", with the answers of Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban. I answered Cape Town but according to the game, the answer was Durban.

vtown7

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 04:59:43 PM »
Yeah, some definite vamping from time to time but it was fun.

The second game had what seemed to be a controversial question based on the source of the answer. The question was something like "What is the second largest city in South Africa", with the answers of Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban. I answered Cape Town but according to the game, the answer was Durban.

It's unfortunate that they didn't pin the question; something like "largest city by area" or "largest city by population" would have helped here.

Reminds me of the one time that I had to deal with an erroneous quiz bowl question: "What is the largest great lake?" - it led to multiple "correct" answers.

R.

/always told my students: if they ask what the capital of Alberta is, say "A".

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 05:15:04 PM »
Cash Show had an incident where the game asked for where the highest temperature on Earth was recorded. I recalled that the record has been disallowed due to bad data collection but presumed that they were looking for that and not Death Valley. Told my group so and we all grabbed a few pennies and stayed in the running.

Getting paid doesn’t make it less sloppy.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 02:10:10 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

SuperMatch93

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 05:48:13 PM »
Reminds me of the one time that I had to deal with an erroneous quiz bowl question: "What is the largest great lake?" - it led to multiple "correct" answers.

IIRC, that's how David Honea got wronged the first time on Millionaire; the question didn't specify area or volume.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 06:12:43 PM »

IIRC, that's how David Honea got wronged the first time on Millionaire; the question didn't specify area or volume.

It specified area. David's answer was 100% right, they just keyed in the wrong answer.

peiboy91

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 09:52:06 PM »
Interesting Twitter thread from HQ's former head of content production calling TikTok Trivia a "disaster" and suggesting ways to improve it.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 02:25:19 AM »
It’s a bold strategy, Cotton.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2023, 06:12:53 PM »
Interesting Twitter thread from HQ's former head of content production calling TikTok Trivia a "disaster" and suggesting ways to improve it.

The boy is not wrong with his individual critiques, but calling the whole thing a "disaster" as a result is a bit strong.  The games happened and people got paid a few bucks for their time.  Could have been sharper.  Could have been a LOT sharper.  But in the world of self-indulgent claptrap that is TikTok, it also could have been a lot worse.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 11:10:57 PM »
I have some thoughts, too, Nick.

Pay your winners.

(I had other thoughts that are unprovable and don’t want to get anyone in legal trouble, but I have suspicions.)
Travis L. Eberle