Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rich Fields leaves TV  (Read 4267 times)

mystery7

Rich Fields leaves TV
« on: February 17, 2023, 11:50:32 AM »
After being fired from his Tampa anchor gig, he sets out to become a motivational speaker:
https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2023/2/16/gone-in-tampa.

Stackertosh

Re: Rich Fields leaves TV
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 11:54:01 AM »
I was wondering what happen to his podcast and people on Golden road said he got fired from his news station. I wonder why he was fired

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 12:42:37 PM »
I was wondering what happen to his podcast and people on Golden road said he got fired from his news station. I wonder why he was fired

TV is a very fickle business, news even more so than game shows.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 01:29:35 PM »
I'm wondering if they simply didn't renew his contract?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 01:58:59 PM »
Here's a little background on what may have caused the firing:

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/11/20/why-would-you-say-that
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 02:03:57 PM »
The blog implies that it's fallout from inappropriate comments Rich said on-air. If true (the narrator seems biased at minimum) I wouldn't be surprised if there was a buyout or something and he's now on an apology tour of sorts.
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 02:30:19 PM »
The blog implies that it's fallout from inappropriate comments Rich said on-air. If true (the narrator seems biased at minimum) I wouldn't be surprised if there was a buyout or something and he's now on an apology tour of sorts.
Y'know...I forgot about this incident. I wouldn't be surprised if they showed him the door after that one, although he could've simply apologized on-air for making such a dumb comment.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

tyshaun1

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 07:55:47 AM »
Y'know...I forgot about this incident. I wouldn't be surprised if they showed him the door after that one, although he could've simply apologized on-air for making such a dumb comment.
If you were to look up the reactions in that Twitter thread on the link that was posted, it seems that he's had a history of co-workers having not-so-nice things to say about him. Apparently ole Rich has burned many a bridge and has played himself off TV for good.

calliaume

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 01:37:00 PM »
I have a friend from college who was a reporter and anchor in several local markets for around 30 years, including Tampa. He's now in real estate.

Rich is in his early 60s. My guess is there comes a point where you're not in demand anymore, for whatever reason. It's a tough business.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 02:01:49 PM »
I have a friend from college who was a reporter and anchor in several local markets for around 30 years, including Tampa. He's now in real estate.

Rich is in his early 60s. My guess is there comes a point where you're not in demand anymore, for whatever reason. It's a tough business.
News has changed so much in just the last decade with all the corporate takeovers. I know of quite a few longtime local reporters - TV and print - who took early retirement because the industry is so fickle nowadays.

calliaume

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 06:09:56 PM »
News has changed so much in just the last decade with all the corporate takeovers. I know of quite a few longtime local reporters - TV and print - who took early retirement because the industry is so fickle nowadays.
Agreed. My wife has a college friend who was a newswriter for WTOP radio for 25 years (five for the radio station, then 20 for the website); she took early retirement and is now a senior editor at a regional print magazine.

Have there been any news articles about Rich Fields' retirement? I haven't seen anything online other than his Twitter post.

trainman

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2023, 08:53:36 PM »
Have there been any news articles about Rich Fields' retirement? I haven't seen anything online other than his Twitter post.

I don't see anything in the main local paper, the Tampa Bay Times, about the situation... but it's hard to tell whether that's due to the Tampa Bay Times not having a reporter who covers other local media, or due to nobody in the area caring about whether or not Rich Fields is on their TV.
trainman is a man of trains

tvwxman

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2023, 07:53:46 AM »

They did not. He was pulled. I work for the same company.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tyshaun1

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2023, 08:15:51 AM »
I don't see anything in the main local paper, the Tampa Bay Times, about the situation... but it's hard to tell whether that's due to the Tampa Bay Times not having a reporter who covers other local media, or due to nobody in the area caring about whether or not Rich Fields is on their TV.
I live here in Tampa, and Rich was the 4th or 5th option weatherman here on the CBS affiliate. I don't think he rose to the point where anyone would care if he came or went.

mmb5

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2023, 06:06:35 PM »
The subject line really should be "TV leaves Rich Fields"
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.