Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Moneybags: best episodes?  (Read 2012 times)

blaq

Moneybags: best episodes?
« on: February 13, 2023, 09:48:02 AM »
I've been meaning to check out Moneybags for a long time and, with my husband at home recovering from surgery, this would be an ideal time for some mindless, but well-crafted, fun. Seasons 1 and 2 are on YouTube. Can you do me a favour? To make the best impression on my husband, can you recommend an episode or two that stick out in your mind as the best, most entertaining of the bunch?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Re: Moneybags: best episodes?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 05:30:11 PM »
Hi Charles -

I don't have any specific show recommendations; just pick one at random, either from well into the first season or from the second season, the idea being that earlier shows may not be as polished as later ones. Usually on the early shows in a series the emcee is still finding his way with the format and his performance may be a little rough.

It's rare for me to think a modern game show is well done, but I like the concept behind the question material on Moneybags and I think it's generally well written. There are flaws to be sure but there is a lot to like if your American or Canadian ears can adapt to the British being spoken.

Kudos that there are no motorized spotlights as with so many "shiny floor" shows.

The emcee could tamp down his artificial excitement and shouting which seems, well, really artificial. He also needs to find other words to say pre-reveal besides "let's find out".

The cheesy synthesizer noises which pass for music need to go. Why do all of these shows sound basically the same?

The artifice of plastic bags stuffed with stage money is pretty transparent but it serves its purpose. Despite these flaws there is an interesting game underneath.

Moneybags apparently changed emcees at some point. Most of the shows I've looked at on YouTube are emceed by Craig Charles; I couldn't find one emceed by Kevin Duala.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 05:46:01 PM by chris319 »

WhammyPower

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 09:27:03 PM »
Moneybags apparently changed emcees at some point. Most of the shows I've looked at on YouTube are emceed by Craig Charles; I couldn't find one emceed by Kevin Duala.
Yeah, Craig became unwell in the middle of a taping, so Kevin stepped in for the final three episodes of series 2.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 09:14:18 PM »
You might enjoy this show:

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 04:52:48 AM »
TIL one can go by an absurd nickname, at least on UK shows.

chrisholland03

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 07:29:42 AM »
TIL one can go by an absurd nickname, at least on UK shows.

Scrabble says hold my beer

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 11:25:51 AM »
Nah.  Never have I seen a civilian contestant identified as "Mr./Mrs./Miss _____," where the blank is filled with an absurd description.

tvmitch

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 05:31:06 PM »
You might enjoy this show:

I'll echo this, this celebrity week they did was good fun.
You should follow me on Twitter

chrisholland03

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 08:34:56 AM »
Nah.  Never have I seen a civilian contestant identified as "Mr./Mrs./Miss _____," where the blank is filled with an absurd description.

Ay but Pooh, Pebbles, Sizzle, and The Bunny feel left out!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 04:40:09 PM »
and The Bunny feel left out!

"Beg pardon?"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe