Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Celebrity Jeopardy Champion and..Tournament of Champions Winner?  (Read 1985 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Celebrity Jeopardy Champion and..Tournament of Champions Winner?
« on: February 08, 2023, 09:46:19 PM »
On the last episode of the Jeopardy Podcast, Jeopardy confirmed that they're extending an invite to Ike Barinholtz , winner of the Celebrity Jeopardy tournament. What do you all think- do you like the idea of adding the celebrity champion to the ToC, or do you think spots should only be awarded to civilian players?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Celebrity Jeopardy Champion and..Tournament of Champions Winner?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 09:51:54 PM »
Assuming they keep the twenty-one player format they will need all the players they can get, though I would throw some love to the Teen Tournament winner first, except there isn’t one.

Among all the choices I’ve quibbles with this is a fairly minor one. I would let (the player in question) keep any accrual after the $5,000 you get for showing up for himself.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 12:54:53 PM »
Absolutely not. The quality of the material was incredibly different on CJ, as was the quality of the opponents. (They'll) get (their) ass whipped for (them) and (their) opponents will have an easier path forward.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 03:30:02 PM »
Absolutely not. The quality of the material was incredibly different on CJ, as was the quality of the opponents. (They'll) get (their) ass whipped for (them) and (their) opponents will have an easier path forward.
Kinda my thought since the CJ material is somewhere between Teen and College Tournament level.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

trainman

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 01:46:12 AM »
As it happens, the CJ winner does have some demonstrable "legitimate" trivia knowledge -- they compete in LearnedLeague. But I do agree with the assessment that the big difference will be the quality of the opponents.

Since I assume the ToC taping schedule won't be changed to accommodate the CJ winner, if they are invited, they do have the easy out of saying that they can't get out of filming something else on one of the tape days.
trainman is a man of trains

DoItRockapella

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 04:14:54 PM »
I can't believe I'm typing this, but I just listened to today's (2/13) Inside Jeopardy podcast...the Celebrity Jeopardy champion has accepted an invitation to compete in the Tournament Of Champions. Michael Davies then goes on to state that, as trainman alluded to, it's going to take a lot of effort to arrange the taping schedule to make this work.

I can only assume the Celebrity Jeopardy champion will be eaten alive.

trainman

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 01:36:50 AM »
Michael Davies then goes on to state that, as trainman alluded to, it's going to take a lot of effort to arrange the taping schedule to make this work.

Of course, I now realize I shouldn't have made the assumption I did -- it's Michael Davies, so of course he's going to try to get the celebrity involved if at all possible.
trainman is a man of trains

colonial

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 09:53:54 AM »
Since Celebrity J! became more of a thing on the Trebek version in the 90s, there have always been whispers among friends and colleagues about giving one of the better celeb players an opportunity to play against one of the civilian "big guns" -- had a co-worker in DC who insisted to anyone within earshot that Jerry Orbach should have received a TOC invite because of his Celebrity J! play. With more invites and slots on the table, why not have the celebrity walk the walk and see how they do?

JD

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 10:53:17 AM »
Since the wheel is being reinvented before our eyes:

1) put the 4x-ers into a play-in bracket to winnow away some of the contenders.

2) have the participants draft their games. Top winner picks two opponents for the heat round, then next biggest winner and so on. One the first round is done the producers set the semi-final matches.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 04:57:15 PM »
Meanwhile they're so against giving the Teen Tournament champion their ToC spot back that they'd rather have a whole separate tournament for them.