Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Unreleased Home Games  (Read 4377 times)

SamJ93

Re: Unreleased Home Games
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 10:10:36 AM »
I don't doubt that it got far enough into the planning stages for Chuck to mention it on-air, but Greed seems like another show that would be problematic to adapt to home play--needing 5 other friends (or 4; I suppose the captain could double as the host in a pinch) who just happen to available and willing to play seems like a tough sell. Plus with the Terminator, you have the Monopoly problem of "eliminated players just sit and watch/make snarky comments for the rest of the game."
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2023, 10:40:54 AM »
I don't doubt that it got far enough into the planning stages for Chuck to mention it on-air, but Greed seems like another show that would be problematic to adapt to home play--needing 5 other friends (or 4; I suppose the captain could double as the host in a pinch) who just happen to available and willing to play seems like a tough sell. Plus with the Terminator, you have the Monopoly problem of "eliminated players just sit and watch/make snarky comments for the rest of the game."

I suppose you could have the players climb the Tower of Greed regardless of success, with the caveat that if the team ever flops on a question, everyone resets back to zero, and all players are back in the game with equal shares.

Either way, this is one of those home games that would require some modification to make it work.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

weaklink75

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2023, 10:49:31 AM »

I suppose you could have the players climb the Tower of Greed regardless of success, with the caveat that if the team ever flops on a question, everyone resets back to zero, and all players are back in the game with equal shares.

Either way, this is one of those home games that would require some modification to make it work.

They did make a home game for the German version of Greed:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/29519/cah-das-eine-million-mark-quiz

Looks like they did do modifications on it somewhat (at least based on the description, looks like the object is to remain the captain as long as possible since they get more points when the team gets right answers, and the Terminator is just a chance to steal the captaincy away)...

Bob Zager

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2023, 12:12:43 PM »
Despite the short scandal-ending run, Dotto was a major ratings success, leading to Lowell obtaining the license. If not for the scandal, the show would have lasted a good while. They must have had an approved design, because when the UK version was released by Bell Games (which adapted Lowell's games in the UK), it used the same category draw-tab system in Lowell's Twenty-One home game. It followed the show's format as well as possible - only the game did not always use famous faces. There were connect the dots puzzles of animals and objects to allow younger players to participate. The UK's version managed to run long enough to make a home version marketable. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xggAAOSwO0VeIy2P/s-l300.jpg

As a follow-up to this image, here is a view of the contents.  The "category rack" is similar to the one in Lowell's "Twenty One" home game.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TZ0AAOSwlupfus5I/s-l500.jpg

Sometimes home game versions have come out shortly before or after the show's premiere.  IIRC, the Win, Lose or Draw home game, popped up in stores before the show premiered (of course, it was played differently at home.)  The $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime had only been on TV for about six months, before the box game was released.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2023, 03:16:56 PM »
With broadcasting magazines and other sources tipping toy & game firms about upcoming projects, it's not unusual for producers and game makers to open roads to negotiations early to be ready in case the show becomes a success. Dan Enright had mentioned that Parker Bros. had an initial interest in Play The Percentages. Would liked to have seen any models. Parker would have a problem if they built the game based on the first format, only to have the gameplay changed by the time it was released.

Neumms

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2023, 05:09:10 PM »
There IS a home version of Dotto, released in the UK.

Anyone know how it was played? None of the eBay offerings had a shot of the rules. With the dots numbered, I think if you studied it, you could figure it out far faster.

snowpeck

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2023, 06:12:52 PM »
There IS a home version of Dotto, released in the UK.

Anyone know how it was played? None of the eBay offerings had a shot of the rules. With the dots numbered, I think if you studied it, you could figure it out far faster.
There's some info on its Board Game Geek page.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2023, 02:32:32 PM »
Um, was Parker Brothers even a thing by the time Money Drop and Power of 10 were on the air?

Moreover (and I know I'm probably forgetting a million obvious ones), I can't think of a home game that released under the PB imprint.

/Matt O., if you would, please
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2023, 02:44:22 PM »

Wink Martindale's High Rollers from 1988

There might be others (I'm sure we'll hear), but that's the only one that immediately comes to mind.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2023, 02:53:10 PM »

There might be others (I'm sure we'll hear), but that's the only one that immediately comes to mind.

Also Wink's Top Secret but we all know what happened to that.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2023, 02:56:31 PM »
Do NES games count?  We were supposed to get NES versions of TPIR, Password, Super Password, and Card Sharks but they never came to be.  The former two I found out on the WOF instruction booklet.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2023, 03:19:13 PM »
Say When was Parker Brothers, IIRC (and possibly their first game show tie-in).
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Mike Tennant

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2023, 03:21:15 PM »

Bergeron-era HS

SamJ93

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2023, 03:24:13 PM »
I can't think of a home game that released under the PB imprint.

Both J! and WoF in 1999, rather oddly as PB became an imprint of Hasbro 8 years prior.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

snowpeck

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2023, 04:16:21 PM »
Say When was Parker Brothers, IIRC (and possibly their first game show tie-in).
As was "Number Please," which came out around the same time.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 05:13:40 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)