Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Unreleased Home Games  (Read 4375 times)

GSRebich

Unreleased Home Games
« on: February 08, 2023, 01:12:30 AM »
I'm looking for any catalog images of the following unreleased game show home games according to the Game Show Wiki:

American Publishing Corp./Great Games Pty., Ltd.
--------------------------------------------------------

Name That Tune (1984)
Press Your Luck

Gamut of Games
-------------------

The Big Showdown*
The New Treasure Hunt

Ideal
------

The Rebus Game
Whew!

Lakeside
----------

Runaround

Lowell
-------

Dotto
Haggis Baggis

Mattel
-------

Twenty-One (2000)

Milton Bradley
----------------

Body Language
Bullseye
Child's Play
Double Dare
Gambit (1973 and 1981)*
Mindreaders
Second Chance
Shoot for the Stars
Super Password
Who Do You Trust?

Parker Brothers
------------------

Million Dollar Money Drop
Power of 10

Pressman
-----------

Greed

*The game got canceled before it got manufactured, so my best hope is any blue prints of those games to be found.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Re: Unreleased Home Games
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 10:07:20 AM »
Are any of these supposed “unreleased games” cited anywhere?  Knowing the incredible amount of cruft on that particular Wiki, I’d not be surprised if some were simply fan fiction.

The Big Showdown I can buy.  Second Chance?  A 13-week wonder involving an electronic board?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

SuperMatch93

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 10:17:48 AM »
Are any of these supposed “unreleased games” cited anywhere?  Knowing the incredible amount of cruft on that particular Wiki, I’d not be surprised if some were simply fan fiction.

Of the ones listed, Runaround is the only one I've definitely heard of being announced but not released.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 10:56:18 AM »
I remember Chuck Woolery announcing on Greed that a home game was coming out.

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 11:24:49 AM »
IIRC, "Body Language" was a game that came out well before the game show and unrelated.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 11:27:38 AM »
Gracious, there's a lot of imagination in that list.

And it doesn't even include Tattletales, for which I DO have a catalog page.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

snowpeck

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 01:03:54 PM »
I'm certain a lot of that list is made up.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Bob Zager

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 01:19:57 PM »
It would not surprise me if the sources providing that information may have been able to confirm the manufacturers held licenses to those titles, but the home games didn't get prototype copies designed at all. 

I went to eBay, looking for Gamut of Games products and only found a board game called Cartel.  The bottom of the box showed other GoG products, including "Place Your Bets!," and "The Diamond Head Game," but no other game show games.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/334719467063

The Runaround game I'd seen a prototype box promoted on the show week after week, but I haven't be able to find any catalog (1971-1973) showing such a product.

Here is a link to an old article and Toy Fair video for a proposed full-size board game version of Hollywood Game Night:  https://www.toydirectory.com/monthly/new_product.asp?id=36549
You could sometimes catch a glimpse of that box on the show the first couple of seasons.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 05:49:15 PM »
With the same producers as Seven Keys, The Rebus Game also had large prize packages, and in them was the home version of The Rebus Game by Ideal. As at Toy Fair, it could very well have been a prototype displayed, but it burned in my brain as it would have been on my Christmas list. As far as another possibility, unless I'm over the hill mentally, one of the major department store toy catalogs had a Queen For A Day game by Standard Toykraft, right about the time the show finally left the ABC airwaves.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 06:31:52 PM »
IIRC, Sierra planned on coming out with a Match Game CD ROM as a follow up to the $100k Pyramid one
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

dazztardly

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 09:24:33 PM »
I don't believe Bullseye would have ever received a home game release. That one has to be fan fiction.

-Dan

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 09:32:26 PM »
How could Dotto have been around long enough to have a home game, and who would have wanted to do it considering the circumstances?

And besides the point, how in the hell could you adapt that for at-home play? There’s elements of the game that really couldn’t be duplicated without some sort of miracles of modern technology, at least by 1958 standards.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 10:21:11 PM »
I can see a connect the numbered dots element, or maybe consecutive overlays, but golly it’s so much work for what amounts to a flash in the pan.

Maybe the picture is tossed and you race to peg fifty points by answering questions, or the points are worth clues to a mystery subject.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 01:10:28 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2023, 11:07:34 PM »
There IS a home version of Dotto, released in the UK.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 01:07:54 AM »
Despite the short scandal-ending run, Dotto was a major ratings success, leading to Lowell obtaining the license. If not for the scandal, the show would have lasted a good while. They must have had an approved design, because when the UK version was released by Bell Games (which adapted Lowell's games in the UK), it used the same category draw-tab system in Lowell's Twenty-One home game. It followed the show's format as well as possible - only the game did not always use famous faces. There were connect the dots puzzles of animals and objects to allow younger players to participate. The UK's version managed to run long enough to make a home version marketable. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xggAAOSwO0VeIy2P/s-l300.jpg