Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: References to game shows in places you wouldn’t expect to find them  (Read 1615 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
So a couple of nights ago, on AEW Dynamite, there was a sequence where one of the wrestlers hit the other with a move called a blockbuster. One of the commentators on the show happened to drop Bill Cullen’s name in his reaction to the move, which I certainly wasn’t expecting to hear. Proper context too, which was the best part.

So it got me thinking: where have some of the most obscure/weird places you’ve seen someone drop a game show reference in reaction to something?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SamJ93

Re: References to game shows in places you wouldn’t expect to find them
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 02:49:17 PM »
In a similar vein, I was surprised to hear NASCAR announcer Mike Joy reference Johnny Carson's Who Do You Trust? during a Cup Series race last year.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 05:05:54 PM »
So a couple of nights ago, on AEW Dynamite, there was a sequence where one of the wrestlers hit the other with a move called a blockbuster. One of the commentators on the show happened to drop Bill Cullen’s name in his reaction to the move, which I certainly wasn’t expecting to hear. Proper context too, which was the best part.

Totally missed this because I had it on in the background while I was fighting with my virtual pinball PC. Which match was this?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 05:30:04 PM »

Totally missed this because I had it on in the background while I was fighting with my virtual pinball PC. Which match was this?

Mark Briscoe vs. Jay Lethal.

OT: the blockbuster has been a fave of mine for a lotta years, if for nothing else but for how tough it can be to pull off right without wrestler A landing wrong. It’s beautiful in its execution, IMO.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 05:55:48 PM »
Mark Briscoe vs. Jay Lethal.

OT: the blockbuster has been a fave of mine for a lotta years, if for nothing else but for how tough it can be to pull off right without wrestler A landing wrong. It’s beautiful in its execution, IMO.

Huh, I was paying attention to that too. Fortunately they put that whole episode up on the YouTubes so it's easy to go back and check.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 07:27:09 PM »
I was expecting Dennis James
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLdude

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 09:07:29 PM »
I’ll give you another quick example, although this is more in the line of “I forgot about this one” than anything
else: recently I’ve been hearing a lot more of “It’s All Been Done” by Barenaked Ladies at my job and it’s been quite awhile since I heard it, so when I heard the last verse where Steven Page theorizes whether or not he’ll see someone on The Price Is Right it was a little odd.