Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC announces J! Masters  (Read 3790 times)

colonial

ABC announces J! Masters
« on: January 11, 2023, 12:16:48 PM »
ABC is expanding the J! universe with "Jeopardy Masters," which will launch at a time TBD ...

https://deadline.com/2023/01/jeopardy-masters-elite-quiz-iteration-ordered-at-abc-1235217706/

The first series will feature Matt Amodio, Sam Buttrey, Andrew He, James Holzhauer, Mattea Roach and Amy Schneider in a "Champions League-style event."

ABC also announced renewals for Celebrity Feud and PYL for this summer. No word on Strahan Pyramid.

JD

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Re: ABC announces J! Masters
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 12:20:20 PM »
Pyramid should still have seven unaired episodes in the can, based on their numbering sequence.
@lambertman

weaklink75

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 12:47:53 PM »
ABC is expanding the J! universe with "Jeopardy Masters," which will launch at a time TBD ...

https://deadline.com/2023/01/jeopardy-masters-elite-quiz-iteration-ordered-at-abc-1235217706/

The first series will feature Matt Amodio, Sam Buttrey, Andrew He, James Holzhauer, Mattea Roach and Amy Schneider in a "Champions League-style event."

Looks like it's probably 10 or 11 eps: There are 20 different combinations of 3 they can make from the 6. If they do two separate games per episode so all six appear, that's 10 eps. If they want a 2-game final with the top 3 players, that'd be 11 eps.

I am interested in seeing how they decide the league format-

-just straight money won in games?
-money won in games but the winner of each game gets a bonus to their total?
-a 3-2-1 point format?

(I personally think some sort of 3-2-1 format would be fairest; that way it mitigates how individual games go when it comes to money won)

colonial

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 02:37:12 PM »
And in more J! news, both J! and WOF have been renewed through 2028 by the ABC O&Os ...

https://deadline.com/2023/01/wheel-of-fortune-jeopardy-renewed-at-abc-1235216648/

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 03:43:56 PM »
Hot take: do we really need another Superchamps tournament, and if so why not do another Battle of the Decades as we approach season 40? I'm guessing they're gonna keep bringing back Matt, Amy, et al if the ratings allow for it, but I think it's getting into overkill territory.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 03:51:11 PM »
No, we don’t need it but I think it would work as a summer drop in rather than during the regular series.  But it’s not mine to do.
Travis L. Eberle

chrisholland03

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 04:05:29 PM »
Milk the cash cow while it's in the barn LOL

Hastin

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 04:55:49 PM »
It's interesting that even though Mayim was announced as the host of all the primetime tournaments, the press release says that Ken will be hosting this one. I'm guessing they want his previous championship experience to help with the ratings.
-Hastin :)

whewfan

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 05:23:03 PM »
Considering that James and Ken know each other from The Chase, why would James be eligible to compete?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 06:43:52 PM »
Considering that James and Ken know each other from The Chase, why would James be eligible to compete?
Ask him—he’s on Twitter.

Maybe it’s just for bragging rights and no prize money? I didn’t look too closely.
Travis L. Eberle

snowpeck

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 08:52:11 PM »
Ask him—he’s on Twitter.

Maybe it’s just for bragging rights and no prize money? I didn’t look too closely.
Nothing that's been published thus far makes any mention of prize money, so that seems like a good guess.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2023, 12:40:32 AM »
One would presume, given the nature of the program, that there are appearance fees at the least, maybe with each player attached to a charity.

In other words, Jeopardy has successfully flexed to ABC that they can do Celebrity Jeopardy without celebrities.  I'm at least curious how it will turn out.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2023, 01:05:36 PM »
Ask him—he’s on Twitter.

I don’t think it makes any difference if they know each other or not- I’m sure there’s been a long enough embargo period that they haven’t worked together where this tournament would be for cash.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2023, 01:49:46 PM »
I don’t think it makes any difference if they know each other or not- I’m sure there’s been a long enough embargo period that they haven’t worked together where this tournament would be for cash.
I imagine at this level of play everybody knows everybody to some degree, and it's expected that everyone be a professional about things.

My only one real eyebrow raise is bringing back Amy, Andrew and Sam. I don't disagree with the logic, but we just had them for 6 games in a row and the first 3.5-4 weren't terribly interesting.
This signature is currently under construction.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2023, 11:31:26 AM »
It's interesting that even though Mayim was announced as the host of all the primetime tournaments, the press release says that Ken will be hosting this one.
The division of responsibilities seems to be getting clearer- Ken gets the top level difficulty tournaments, while Mayim gets the rest.

We’ve talked about over saturation already, so I won’t go there. But this tournament feels like wish fulfillment. Amy, Mattea and Matt never played a meaningful game against one another, and this is how they make that happen. But it seems pretty unfair to invite five players from the most recent ToC and not extend an invite to Sam Kavanaugh, who won the year prior.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.