Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Successful international formats that never aired a version in English?  (Read 1751 times)

Kniwt

I was trying to come up with a list of game show formats that have been successful around the world but never aired a version in English. My criteria: Must have aired in three or more countries, but never in a version that was primarily in English. (Shows that rapid-fire switch between English and another native language, such as in India, are allowed.) Pilots in English that never went to series don't exclude a format.

The first few I've come up with are:

Avanti Un Altro / Next!
Raid the Cage / Escape Perfecto
All Against 1

More?

colonial

Re: Successful international formats that never aired a version in English?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 10:25:44 AM »
While successful may be pushing it (there appears to be at least 10 international formats of this game, with only one lasting a year), the WWTBAM spin-off "50/50" only got as far as a pilot in the UK and "discussions" in the U.S. All versions that made it to broadcast were non-English.

JD

SuperMatch93

Re: Successful international formats that never aired a version in English?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 11:05:18 AM »
El Gran Juego de la Oca aired in six countries, but never an English-speaking one.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983